Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Your Tesla's value just dropped about 4-5k overnight

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Probably but surely not by that much. I read through that whole thread on this topic, and while it is a nice upgrade it is subtle. Most people (outside of frequent TMC posters and other highly involved subjects) will not notice the difference. Again it is not a huge upgrade like AP1 vs. AP2, 90 battery vs. 100, or even facelift vs. nosecone

I think no possible retrofit drives the value down more. I agree that facelift vs nosecone was a major change in looks. AP2 still isn't on par with AP1. And the Battery was just another option. Some may prefer a smaller battery, nosecone, and AP1. But no one prefers a slower MCU. This new MCU really does change the experience of the car. The freaking browser actually works now. Maps actually load without having to wait for minutes.

• Informative
Reactions: Plug Life
I think no possible retrofit drives the value down more. I agree that facelift vs nosecone was a major change in looks. AP2 still isn't on par with AP1. And the Battery was just another option. Some may prefer a smaller battery, nosecone, and AP1. But no one prefers a slower MCU. This new MCU really does change the experience of the car. The freaking browser actually works now. Maps actually load without having to wait for minutes.

The only thing about the old MCU is the browser sucks so I will give you that. The rest of the functions work great, at least for me. Yes it would be nicer to have the system be more responsive, but not 5k nicer and I think most people agree.

I doubt that in the future the new MCU will be listed as a selling feature.

Also I never had to wait minutes for a map to load. When in bad cell area the new MCU will load slower as well, it’s just the way it works.

From what I recall the 90 battery was replaced by 100. They were not offered together (I may be wrong here though) hence many people felt “duped” as well although they got exactly what they paid for.

It depends on how you use it. I wouldn't use the browser while driving, and even as a passenger I would likely just use my phone. While I drive I have the rear-view camera on the top, and the nav running on the bottom to see traffic around. I change the radio with the steering wheel button on my presets. Am I bummed I don't have the new CPU in my MCU? Of course! Would it really make a difference on a day to day basis? Not for my usage.

With these new MCU's and no possibility of a retrofit, that will easily knock 4-5k off the trade in/resell value.

Anyone who buys a Tesla then tracks its value when new things come out needs a wake-up call along with an investment portfolio to keep them busy so they can properly track investments, as opposed to tracking the fall of a significantly depreciating asset, which applies to all Teslas regardless of options or models. My vehicle was hit perhaps the hardest, having bought just before AP came out. But at the same time as I bought my Tesla, I bought TSLA, since I was keenly aware of this:

What If You Bought Tesla Stock Instead Of One Of Its Cars?

So I'm fine with the huge drop in value of my non-AP classic S since it drove me to TSLA (and I also thoroughly enjoy the vehicle and don't look at it as an investment). Long story short, if you're concerned about money, buy investments, not high end vehicles.

Last edited:

Well. I haven't had a single complain about the speed of the existing MCU. The browser is and will stay unusable as long as all the data get filtered over Tesla server which renders the browser pretty unusable for any modern web page. So at least for me, there is zero difference between both MCU's.

Well. I haven't had a single complain about the speed of the existing MCU. The browser is and will stay unusable as long as all the data get filtered over Tesla server which renders the browser pretty unusable for any modern web page. So at least for me, there is zero difference between both MCU's.

How do you explain the browser working fine on the new MCU?

Reactions: MelaniainLA
It is not working fine. Its just working faster but lacks exactly the same features as the old one and is nowhere near the functionality of the browser in a phone. Why to even bother with the MCU browser if you have better browser in your phone...

The browser does have more features now. D4ERIK has a video comparing the old vs new. The new browser loads his Tesla inventory site perfectly. The old browser fails to

It is not working fine. Its just working faster

:rolleyes:

Why to even bother with the MCU browser if you have better browser in your phone...

Because it's a $500 fine and three points for just looking at your phone while driving up here.

As an aside, I use the browser all the time to read the New York Times, Washington Post, CNN (light); and other websites. Of course, they take time to load, but I'm just sitting there driving so it's not like it's slowing me down when I'm doing something. Then when I'm stopped at a light or in traffic, I will browse the articles. It works for me but faster would be great.

I was really disappointed to learn there's no browser in the Model 3 at all.

The new browser loads his Tesla inventory site perfectly.

Given that it took new hardware, we can likely count this as another unfulfilled "promise":

Tesla’s sluggish web browser may finally be usable after major update

Reactions: viper2ko
Who cares. Guessing $4-5 k is proof you don't know much about pricing a used car lol.

As for the mcu not being retrofittable where was this determined? wk057 changed his car to appear yellow in the display, added P Parts and software and swapped batteries. When I hear him say it's not retrofittable I will believe it.

. Personally I don't mind the current processor. Maps are fine as is music. I don't use the browser but it does suck.