Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Your thoughts on a button to activate 'Car-Wash' mode?

Would you like Tesla to roll out a button to activate a Car-Wash mode?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Would you like to see a button to activate a Car-Wash mode to automatically
(a) Turn off Auto-mode for windshield wipers,
(b) Activate Neutral gear, and
(c) Switch air flow to internal

a) Do your wipers actually run in a car wash on auto? Have you tried it lately? (Mine don't.)
b) I kind of wonder what the statistics are for car wash types. I've read about them on here, but have never actually been in one where you put the car in neutral. Every one I have been in you put the car in park when the "Put car in park" light comes on.

Now a feature to automatically optimally use the dryer time by reading the time left on the countdown timer would be fun. (But I hope Tesla doesn't waste time on it.)

a) Do your wipers actually run in a car wash on auto? Have you tried it lately? (Mine don't.)
b) I kind of wonder what the statistics are for car wash types. I've read about them on here, but have never actually been in one where you put the car in neutral. Every one I have been in you put the car in park when the "Put car in park" light comes on.

Now a feature to automatically optimally use the dryer time by reading the time left on the countdown timer would be fun. (But I hope Tesla doesn't waste time on it.)
In the Northeast most of the car wash stations with an automatic tunnel require to put a car into Neutral gear (if not all).
You can try search for 'automatic tunnel wash' in Google Maps
I've always disabled Auto-mode for wipers. I don't know if I want to try going without disabling them :)

Reactions: CaliSurfer
This sounds like a great idea, but the problem is that everyone's definition of what's needed for car wash is different and also changes by region.
For instance, not sure why you'd want mirrors folding in - that's like saying you don't want that bit of the car to get cleaned.
None of the car washes I use require neutral, so don't need that (until I do)
Last time I took it through with 2021.4.18 I forgot about the wipers but they didn't trigger anyway, I guess that they recognize car washes on this release?
Lastly I keep airflow on recirc most of the time anyway.
However, adding valet mode for those washes that take the car off you to go wash it.

Next worse situation is that you go to a different car wash that needs different settings, so you're back into the menus again adjusting it.
Can't really see how this could be practically implemented without a huge amount of customization, multiple carwash profiles etc etc
I rather they fixed more of the outstanding bugs :D

Reactions: Gasaraki
There's nothing preventing Tesla from adding a IoT/ITTT interface, where users could create arbitrary profiles based on available sensors and configured with any of the soft-settings. With this capability, you could make up a "Car Wash" profile yourself.

Of course, this is far more complex than most users are prepared to use, and frankly you could get yourself into quite a bit of trouble with a bad combination of settings lol

There's nothing preventing Tesla from adding a IoT/ITTT interface, where users could create arbitrary profiles based on available sensors and configured with any of the soft-settings. With this capability, you could make up a "Car Wash" profile yourself.

Of course, this is far more complex than most users are prepared to use, and frankly you could get yourself into quite a bit of trouble with a bad combination of settings lol
I would love to be able to do that, but digging into the requirements for the entire customer base is hard.
Implementing these things sounds great, but you have to jump the first safety hurdle that is so often forgotten.
The first person to make a mistake with an automation setting with house lights is just in the dark, but doing this on a car is messing up a 2-3 ton projectile with instant acceleration