Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Your thoughts on Screen Protectors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My LRDM delivery is still a few weeks (maybe months) away. For those of you who have your Model 3s, I'd like to get your thoughts on screen protectors. Is there a real concern of scratching your screen without one? Is it useful for other reasons, reduces fingerprints, glare... the likelihood of cutting yourself on it if you get in an accident? :confused:

Does it affect the touch screen responsiveness? Which ones have you used and liked, not liked? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I’ve got a screen protector from Abstract Ocean and I’m very happy with it. I managed to get the alignment perfect when I installed it so you can’t even tell it’s there. There is no noticeable difference with the way the screen feels or the responsiveness. There is however a noticeable decrease in the amount of fingerprints that show up which is one of the main reasons I got it. While the likelihood of scratching is not that great I like having the piece of mind that there is some layer of protection in case something accidentally brushes up against the screen. They’re really not that expensive, I think I paid $15 or so for mine? It’s worth it in my opinion.

I never thought I'd need one, but then one day I saw a weird line on the screen. It turned out to be some kind of scratch. With all the tint, console wrap, service center people being in the car I guess it got scratched. I asked the SC people about it and after consulting a few people they eventually determined that the factory screen protector was the thing that got scratched. Phew! I didn't even know there was a screen protector on.

After that, I decided that a screen protector might actually be useful. I got the matte version to reduce glare. It did that but it has a rough texture so running your finger on it isn't that smooth. Not sure if the reduced glare is worth the weird texture. I'll leave it for now.

• Informative
Reactions: malciv
How can you tell the factory protector is still on (other than developing a case of the phantom touches)? Is there a pull off tab that should be obvious, or is it perfectly shaped to the screen such that you'd have to peel it off to know it's there?

I have the Abstract Ocean screen protector too. The matte version reduces glare and it works flawlessly. I was worried about scratching the screen, but it is the reduction of fingerprints that I really like. Well worth the cost. I’ve had it since late February. I suspect that you will find it a well worth while unobtrusive addition to your model 3.

• Informative
Reactions: malciv
On my Model S I have an Abstract Ocean screen protector on the center screen and a Topfit on the instrument cluster. If I replace the touchscreen protector, I will get Topfit for that. Abstract ocean has a number of different types of protectors.

How can you tell the factory protector is still on (other than developing a case of the phantom touches)? Is there a pull off tab that should be obvious, or is it perfectly shaped to the screen such that you'd have to peel it off to know it's there?

The film on the screen from the factory was still on mine when I took delivery. I didn’t notice it was there at first but when I got home I noticed some air bubbles and other marks on the screen and then it was very obvious that there was a protective film still attached to the screen. It came off pretty easily but I don’t recall any pull tabs for removal. I believe this film is usually removed when they prep your Model 3 for delivery but sometimes they forget about it. If it’s still there after you take delivery it should be very obvious that it’s there.