Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Your thoughts on Screen Protectors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry for reviving an old thread, but I thought it better than creating a new one asking the same question.

I am considering buying an abstract ocean screen protector and have read a few people complaining about the matte version making the screen look fuzzy and causing rainbow effects with polarized lenses. How severe is the distortion, if at all? I’m also thinking about the gloss version instead of matte if the above issues are true since it should, in theory, be just as clear as the screen itself. Not having my Model 3 yet, how bad is the screen glare with/without the gloss protector? I know it’s a subjective question, so am prepared for mixed answers.

As an alternative to Abstract Ocean, has anyone tried installing PPF over the screen, and if so, how has the functionality and clarity held up? Since I’m generally not capable of simple tasks, I might ask my PPF installer to take care of the screen as well, if there are success stories, when he wraps the exterior.

My biggest concerns and reasoning for screen protection are finger prints and scratches. Neither my wife or I generally drive around looking like Liberace, but I’d like to save myself the heartache if others have found success/benefit from having screen protection.

I was not thinking of getting one at all until a sales associate showed me the screen on the Model 3 on the floor....it was trashed. Scratches all over it. Granted that is worse case usage. It was enough that I ordered the AO glass protector.

Sorry for reviving an old thread, but I thought it better than creating a new one asking the same question.

I am considering buying an abstract ocean screen protector and have read a few people complaining about the matte version making the screen look fuzzy and causing rainbow effects with polarized lenses. How severe is the distortion, if at all? I’m also thinking about the gloss version instead of matte if the above issues are true since it should, in theory, be just as clear as the screen itself. Not having my Model 3 yet, how bad is the screen glare with/without the gloss protector? I know it’s a subjective question, so am prepared for mixed answers.

As an alternative to Abstract Ocean, has anyone tried installing PPF over the screen, and if so, how has the functionality and clarity held up? Since I’m generally not capable of simple tasks, I might ask my PPF installer to take care of the screen as well, if there are success stories, when he wraps the exterior.

My biggest concerns and reasoning for screen protection are finger prints and scratches. Neither my wife or I generally drive around looking like Liberace, but I’d like to save myself the heartache if others have found success/benefit from having screen protection.

I had the same concerns and ended up ordering the non-matte tempered glass screen protector from AO a few days ago. I can't provide hands-on experience with the matte version, but I can tell you the deciding factor for me was sitting in a 3 with the sun coming in the back windows without a real problem. I am also tinting my windows which should limit the direct sunlight on the sceen to begin with.

I've only had glare problems (stock screen, still haven't removed the screen protector that we're supposed to remove) when the sun is at an angle to the car such that I am getting alternating bright and shadow areas, the contrast makes it more difficult to read the screen. If it's fully lit it's fine.

Took a ride in a colleague's 3 (okay, he let me DRIVE it the day after delivery!) and found that the screen did not work well with my polarized sunglasses but I haven't seen many posts about this issue. I'm waiting on a VIN but I've already ordered a polarized filter screen protector from evamped. (It was hard to find a polarized version.) Hope it cuts down on glare, since the screen is not adjustable.

I also got the Abstract Ocean protector (non-matte version). I was also worried about display quality and would rather put up with some glare than distort image resolution, hence my choice. Probably not necessarily but I always wondered if something flew into the screen (i.e. passenger phone slipping during a hard brake), I'd rather have some sort of protection than none at all. Plus I've had plenty of phones with latest gorilla glass that's supposedly difficult to scratch but somehow always managed to, so I'm treating the screen the same way. For $30, worth it.

My only gripe is I put it on a bit crooked (about 0.5mm from being level) which I obsessed about for first couple days but now I don't notice. I also had a few bubbles which I thought wouldn't go away but after a day they were gone, so don't worry if you don't get it perfect.

What’s this screen protector that comes with the cars now?

Imagine a cell phone right out of the box. There's a plastic protector on it you're supposed to take off. For cell phones it will usually have an obvious tab sticking out to make it easy to pull off.

The one on the 3's screen is so well fit that usually it's hard to tell if it's still there, and often the car is delivered with it still in place. There's no pull tab or overhang to make it easier to notice and remove. Mine hasn't gotten messed up yet so I've left it on for now. Leaving it on may eventually lead to phantom touch issues but so far I've had no problems.

• Informative
Reactions: ebmcs03
The fingerprint resistance of the HD tempered glass AO screen protector is excellent. I can only compare it to the default film that came with the car, but I rarely have to wipe the screen anymore.

Glare has never been a factor for me, but I live on an island, and rarely drive in straight lines long enough for it to bother me.

• Funny
Reactions: BioSehnsucht
I’ve never been a fan of screen protectors. However, I recently noticed a tiny scratch on my iPhone X. Have no idea how it got there, but it bugs me every time I look at my phone. So I’m reconsidering.:cool:

I love the glass screen protectors for phones.

However I got the plastic extra clear HD protector. Works great! It’s enough to protect fingers poking at it. The car screeen doesn’t take nearly as much abuse as phone screens do.

I bought the Abstract Ocean 9H tempered glass matte protector, and I am ecstatic with it. First of all the big issue with the screen to me is the glare. I don't normally like matte screens, and I have refused to ever put matte on my Macs, iPads, or iPhones. But this is different. I can't hold the Model 3 screen at a different angle to reduce glare, and it's incredibly important that I can see the screen well at all times, since it's got safety stuff going on there.

Once I decided to do a matte protector the 9H tempered glass was kind of a no brainer, because it's much easier to install than the plastic films are.

• Helpful
Reactions: BioSehnsucht