Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Your Top 5 Anticipated Supercharger Locations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't care what the maps say, I've never had a detour under 30 minutes all together and my parents live in Charleston so I make this trip frequently. My P85D can't make it from Santee to Asheville anyway since I have to go up the mountains, so I usually have to supercharge in Columbia which is closer to a 45 minute detour usually. Utilitarian calculus would suggest that with the population density on I-26, this is still a grossly underserved route.

I call BS. The Santee supercharger is right on your way; Google maps says that it's 4:25 detouring to the Santee supercharger and 4:09 without. 15 minutes detour. Hardly going to kill your road trip. You East Coasters: "ohhh, I want to take this particular route and the supercharger is a short detour away, boo hoo". Out West here, we plan our routes through superchargers where ever we are, and we like it!
It's a 21 minute detour assuming no traffic, but yeah I thought the same thing. Any normal supercharger stop is going to be something like a 5 minute detour so we are bickering about 15 minutes here when there are people who can't even get to certain places due to lack of charging.

• Love
Reactions: Rocky_H and IdaX
I don't care what the maps say, I've never had a detour under 30 minutes all together and my parents live in Charleston so I make this trip frequently. My P85D can't make it from Santee to Asheville anyway since I have to go up the mountains, so I usually have to supercharge in Columbia which is closer to a 45 minute detour usually. Utilitarian calculus would suggest that with the population density on I-26, this is still a grossly underserved route.
Columbia is a 27 minute detour (with no traffic).

Also, "I don't care what the maps say" is an interesting take :rolleyes:

Reactions: IdaX
I'm just saying that real world experience - including traffic - is such a painful detour that my wife has essentially forbidden us from taking the Tesla to Charleston. It has added more than an hour to our trip on more than one occasion.
I agree, traffic sucks. I'd much prefer chargers at interstate rest stops, with no amenities (maybe a washroom) and you're in and out as fast as possible.

Reactions: Rogue Synapse
Some of our road trip barren stretches will most likely result in SCs with low average kWh/day dispensed.
I would really be interested to see what the daily averages are for the various SC stations. Averaged over a year with all stalls contributing to the numbers. And then for icing on the cake, peak usage stats such as % occupancy over 24 h (also averaged over a year). Numbers like that would let one easily see which sites are collecting dust and which ones are overloaded. I'm sure Tesla has these numbers, but probably not willing to make them public. Still. I'd really like to see those graphs.

• Funny
Reactions: XHabjab
Since we are on the topic of charging up north, I just found out that there are fast DC chargers in Canada installed by shell.
Canada's Electric Highway – EV Fast Charge car charging stations
Although the URL has the word petro in it, there is a branch of it dedicated to showing their network of fast DC chargers.

The web interface is primitive and details scarce, but it looks like they vary between 100 kW for the Chademo, and 350kW for the CCS chargers.

From their website:
Canada’s first coast-to-coast EV fast charge network.

Canadians’ fueling needs are evolving, so we are excited to be the first to offer a network of EV car charging stations across the country. We have a charger every 250 km or less from Halifax, N.S. to Victoria, B.C. "

Since we are on the topic of charging up north, I just found out that there are fast DC chargers in Canada installed by shell.
Canada's Electric Highway – EV Fast Charge car charging stations
Although the URL has the word petro in it, there is a branch of it dedicated to showing their network of fast DC chargers.

The web interface is primitive and details scarce, but it looks like they vary between 100 kW for the Chademo, and 350kW for the CCS chargers.

From their website:
Canada’s first coast-to-coast EV fast charge network.

Canadians’ fueling needs are evolving, so we are excited to be the first to offer a network of EV car charging stations across the country. We have a charger every 250 km or less from Halifax, N.S. to Victoria, B.C. "

That was done 2019, with Tesla (almost) completing their route in 2019 as well.

Austin has gone wild with new SC permits. Moral of the story? Open up a Gigafactory and watch your charging stations grow.
I wonder if some day it will be legal to sell Teslas in Tx?

1628693724035.png