Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Your top books of 2022?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does it have to be a 2022 novel or just new to you?

I enjoy espionage books and one of the best I have read is - "The Human Factor" by Graham Greene.
It's definitely not a James Bond shoot em up and very close to what actual spy craft is.

Another is Red Sparrow the book, definitely way way better than the movie.

Or for more of a historical read, I really like - "Andrew Jackson and the Miracle of New Orleans" by Brian Killmeade.
Most of the Brian Killmeade books have been great reads as well.

What genre is your favorite? I am a voracious reader but tend to jump around

I enjoy espionage books and one of the best I have read is - "The Human Factor" by Graham Greene.
It's definitely not a James Bond shoot em up and very close to what actual spy craft is.

Or for more of a historical read, I really like - "Andrew Jackson and the Miracle of New Orleans" by Brian Killmeade.

My last read were mainly journalistic/documentary type and I went through all the Malcolm Gladeell books Talking to Strangers, blink, tipping point, the outliers

All excellent book with informative and some controversial point of view.

Reactions: UltradoomY

What genre is your favorite? I am a voracious reader but tend to jump around.
ps: if someone can advice me a good commencement speech writing service i will be more that happy!

I read only one book in 2022 but this book changes a lot in my life. That is The Zoologist's Guide to the Galaxy: What Animals on Earth Reveal About Aliens and Ourselves by Arik Kirschenbaum.
Fascinating non-fiction, the kind of non-fiction we forever dream of reading and never have time for. Perhaps the most important thing here is that the book honestly fulfills the question posed in the title. It does no doubt that aliens exist, and tries to imagine them with the full force of modern zoological knowledge. But this does not mean fantasizing about how many legs aliens have or whether they need eyes, but rather trying to understand and imagine, given millions of years of evolution on Earth, what the differences of an intelligent species are in general.

• Love
American Desperado by Jon Roberts/Evan Wright is fantastic. It's about one of the original cocaine cowboys and so many times during the book I remember thinking "no way anyone could do that now." I also legitimately laughed out loud during the book at some of the more absurd things that happen.

Terminal List is infinitely better than the series.

Thanks for the recommendations!

American Desperado by Jon Roberts/Evan Wright is fantastic. It's about one of the original cocaine cowboys and so many times during the book I remember thinking "no way anyone could do that now." I also legitimately laughed out loud during the book at some of the more absurd things that happen.

Terminal List is infinitely better than the series.

Thanks for the recommendations!

Just finished American Desperado - fantastic read. Thanks for the recommendation.

Took longer than normal with all the citations but very fun as someone who grew up in the late 70's and early 80's in Florida.

Reactions: Darkside213

The Red Sparrow is book one of a trilogy by Jason Matthews. I enjoyed them all. Like you, the movie not so much…

Just finished American Desperado - fantastic read. Thanks for the recommendation.

Took longer than normal with all the citations but very fun as someone who grew up in the late 70's and early 80's in Florida.
Forgot to mention, so good I listened to the audible.... the narrartors are perfect

I too tend to jump around. Mostly non-fiction historical books. I'll throw in a fiction here and there. But I go from True Crime, lots of spy stuff, Art Crime, Cyptop Crime, Dark Web crime, historical figures etc

• Love
My last read were mainly journalistic/documentary type and I went through all the Malcolm Gladeell books Talking to Strangers, blink, tipping point, the outliers

All excellent book with informative and some controversial point of view.

Sorry to tell you, but Gladwell is kind of a hack. He's a great storyteller but his conclusions and how reaches them are quite flawed.

I say that as someone who has read Outliers and Talking to Strangers and most episodes of Revisionist History.

He's kind of in the same genre as Freakonomics - pop sci stuff that tries to use data to reach a conclusion that's possibly runs counter to norms or conventional wisdom. But a lot of times it ends up being manipulating the data to support the already-decided-upon contrarian conclusion.

That said, I don't have a ton of rec's strictly in that genre.

I would recommend You Have the Right to Remain Innocent, by James Duane. He is the lawyer who's speech to law school students has gone viral on YouTube about "never talk to the police." He walks through a lot of the pitfalls of the U.S. justice system and gives his recommendation on how to talk to the police if you're ever being questioned (or even charged with a crime) beyond a routine traffic stop.

Anything by Sir Terry Pratchett OBE

I'm slowly going through all 40 of them currently the Witch series

and tbh, I read a lot when I was a kid, but now I listen to audiobooks (or because the Y has no CD player ... eAudiobooks)

An Audiobook has three important factors
  1. It has to be a good book to begin with
  2. (not so important) some of them need a little abridging
  3. It has to have the correct reader
I've listened to a lot of the Jack Reacher books and Dick Hill is the perfect reader for them. I got a Dave Barry book that he narrated and could only listen to about five minutes because he was just the wrong reader for that book. Odd

The reader can kill an Audiobook, or he/she can bring it alive. Steven Griggs does most of the Terry Pratchett books and he's also perfect for the task

Just finished Billion Dollar Whale. It was good. Deep dive on Jho Low and how he basically sweet talked himself into building an empire while really investing in nothing. His company financed the Wolf of Wall Street and he had deep ties with Malaysia. If you ever read The Smartest Guys in the Room or Too Big to Fail, you'll enjoy this.