Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Your Upcoming Model Y Order Cancelation Email

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The length matters. I am about 7 months out from my original order and I was just told I needed to confirm that I am still interested by a certain date. They did not give me a drop dead date for taking delivery like the order floating around from 18 months ago. I said I would be ready in January 2022 as I have said since day 1 when I placed the hold. I think the hold policy is up to 12 months or so. The fine print says you have to take delivery once your car is ready. If you don't have a VIN assigned, your car isn't ready for delivery. Fine print goes both ways, it helps if you actually read it and understand what it means. As long as you use the hold option (this is Tesla authorized, not some under the table thing) before you have a VIN assigned, you are following the rules. If Tesla wants to change that then they need to make it public.
And they have changed the rules for new orders. The new order agreement says that if you haven't taken delivery within 90 days of your order, and it wasn't Tesla holding things up, they can cancel your order and keep the order fee.

My TA just said that if I don't take delivery by the end of the year they will cancel my order per the order agreement I signed. They also said that Tesla won't hold an order more than 6 months. (Mine is more than 6 months old already, so that is already a false claim.)

I've got news for them; my order agreement says I have three months from the first time they setup a delivery date. Which they haven't done yet. (In part because I haven't completed my end of the requirements yet.) The latest automated email said I had to select a delivery center in the next week or they would cancel my order. So I did that, but I still haven't completed the rest. But even if they assign a VIN to me today, I would then have 3 months to take delivery.

Of course what happens if they breach the agreement and cancel my order? I guess I would have to open an arbitration case to attempt to force them to fulfil their end of the order agreement. And if that doesn't work I guess I would have to place a new order, take delivery, and then take them to small claims court for the extra amount that it cost me because they breached the original order agreement.

And the silly part is they said that they are doing this to make cars available for people that are ready to take delivery. How am I preventing that by siting and waiting? o_O

And they have changed the rules for new orders. The new order agreement says that if you haven't taken delivery within 90 days of your order, and it wasn't Tesla holding things up, they can cancel your order and keep the order fee.

My TA just said that if I don't take delivery by the end of the year they will cancel my order per the order agreement I signed. They also said that Tesla won't hold an order more than 6 months. (Mine is more than 6 months old already, so that is already a false claim.)

I've got news for them; my order agreement says I have three months from the first time they setup a delivery date. Which they haven't done yet. (In part because I haven't completed my end of the requirements yet.) The latest automated email said I had to select a delivery center in the next week or they would cancel my order. So I did that, but I still haven't completed the rest. But even if they assign a VIN to me today, I would then have 3 months to take delivery.

Of course what happens if they breach the agreement and cancel my order? I guess I would have to open an arbitration case to attempt to force them to fulfil their end of the order agreement. And if that doesn't work I guess I would have to place a new order, take delivery, and then take them to small claims court for the extra amount that it cost me because they breached the original order agreement.
That sounds like a lot of work when you could just get your car...

You are already outside that window. They would've had a car for you in one of the previous two quarters. So everything you're saying wouldn't hold up if you tried to go to court for w/e reason. Those 6 months are two delivery windows you could've taken advantage of, and now its the 3rd. If you would've just taken delivery and not pushed your order off they would've had your car in the pipeline each quarter.

I've seen a few folks throwing out legal cases. Whats the point? Go buy any other brand and find the same level of willingness to stay in a price bracket as they rice from materials. Rav4's are going for 10-40K over MSRP.

Your order populates on the list every time they plan logistics. When you delay or don't match thats a build they have to account for. Things are done quarterly. You delaying means a anticipated build has to find a new home which obviously isn't hard, but it still jams up the system and wastes someones time and costs money.

Last edited:
They don't owe you a tax credit... you're saving what 16K off the car? Plenty of other people have taken 2-8K discounts in the past 6 months with rising costs on components and materials. Honestly just take delivery of the car. Its a great car and you're saving a ton from what you would've already.

Look I don't blame anyone for wanting to maximize it. But Tesla doesn't owe you that much really if any discount. Technically they've already gone beyond the agreement for your contract with the one hold. What will be funny is how upset people will be that they couldn't trick the system.

Yet in Oakland Rav4 Primes are getting mark ups of 20-40k. What Tesla really needs to do is any time people put a hold on their car they just adjust the price to the updated price like they do if you change colors etc. That would solve all of this.
Why does it seem to bother people so much that people are doing what they think is best for them??
I don’t think anyone believes that Tesla owes them the tax incentive, but why shouldn’t someone try to delay to potentially get a tax incentive? Especially if their date is less than 2 weeks from the new year. If you get your car and want it now, great (I’m in that camp).
I don’t think Tesla is going to allow the long holds anymore but if you are able to get them to hold until next year great.
I just don’t understand the issue. If it is holding up deliveries, it can’t be by that much, because their are plenty of folks who are waiting for their vehicles.

Why does it seem to bother people so much that people are doing what they think is best for them??
I don’t think anyone believes that Tesla owes them the tax incentive, but why shouldn’t someone try to delay to potentially get a tax incentive? Especially if their date is less than 2 weeks from the new year. If you get your car and want it now, great (I’m in that camp).
I don’t think Tesla is going to allow the long holds anymore but if you are able to get them to hold until next year great.
I just don’t understand the issue. If it is holding up deliveries, it can’t be by that much, because their are plenty of folks who are waiting for their vehicles.
Sure I get it.

I just think its insane people are mad at Tesla for doing this.

How are they breaching your contract? If anything you've breached it and they've done ya a solid by letting you keep your price.
They would be breaching it by cancelling my order before any terms of the agreement say they can. I haven't breached it, as they did not set any deadline for me to complete my responsibilities prior to VIN assignment.

They could have assigned me a VIN at any time and started the 90 day clock but they haven't.

They obviously realized their mistake which is why they have now changed the agreement for new orders.

I don't need/want my Model Y until April, why should I have it sitting for four months doing nothing but burning warranty time? (I was also told I could delay my order for a year, and this would be less than that. Which is why I placed the order when I did.)

Last edited:
I placed my order on 9/25, and have a hold until 12/31. It seems like Tesla could force me to accept a car by 12/25 if they had one available and wanted to be real jerks about it. I’m counting on this not happening.
Nobody is going to want to suck up that $8,000 incentive loss, but Tesla doesn’t want cars sitting around on inventory at the end of the quarter. Forcing the people who have been sitting on their orders the longest to take delivery is the most fair thing they can do. They have the lowest prices and they’ve been on the books the longest.

If they have to get more aggressive about enforcing their contract in order to get those cars out the door, they will.

It's Tesla's crazy system.
Tesla’s system is about as straight forward and generous as an order system can be with the sort of demand they have.

They didn’t engineer the weirdness around the incentives. It was you who chose to gamble that the incentives will pass and/ or assumed you’d be able to push/ delay your order until they were passed.

Not “hate”, just don’t have a ton of sympathy. You gambled on future events. You might still win. But worse case if you “lose” is you get what you agreed to pay for. This isn’t Tesla’s “Crazy System”, this is your choice.

Tesla’s system is about as straight forward and generous as an order system can be with the sort of demand they have.

They didn’t engineer the weirdness around the incentives. It was you who chose to gamble that the incentives will pass and/ or assumed you’d be able to push/ delay your order until they were passed.

Not “hate”, just don’t have a ton of sympathy. You gambled on future events. You might still win. But worse case if you “lose” is you get what you agreed to pay for. This isn’t Tesla’s “Crazy System”, this is your choice.
Who said anything about delaying for the tax incentive? My wanting my Model Y in April has nothing to do with that. (And I doubt there will be an incentive.)

Who said anything about delaying for the tax incentive? My wanting my Model Y in April has nothing to do with that. (And I doubt there will be an incentive.)

The person I was replying to said they were delaying it for the tax incentive.

Regardless, it doesn’t matter. You are going to get sucked up with all of the people trying to play this game for the incentive whether you believe it will happen or not.

(edited with some further scoping - not suggesting they unilaterally cancel all backorders)

Tesla's best move would to just refund the order fee for people that have declined delivery and gone outside of whatever window stated in their contract (seems like this is variable?) and cancel the order. They're surely not doing this in an effort to collect a few hundred bucks from a few thousand people, and it would reduce the number of the sue-happy people that clog up the US legal system with garbage litigation in hopes of "sticking it to the man", or getting free money.

Reactions: Naija King and Ogre
Tesla's best move would to just refund the order fee and cancel. They're surely not doing this in an effort to collect a few hundred bucks from a few thousand people, and it would reduce the number of the sue-happy people that clog up the US legal system with garbage litigation in hopes of "sticking it to the man", or getting free money.
I think in the email they said they would refund the order fee if they cancelled people’s orders.

EDIT: I reread the email and it says the fee would be forfeited.

This is what cracks me up about people complaining about taking Tesla to court (well this plus the fact that you signed an arbitration agreement). The best you could hope for in court is return of your order fee plus perhaps a little interest.

Reactions: Corndart
I think in the email they said they would refund the order fee if they cancelled people’s orders.

This is what cracks me up about people complaining about taking Tesla to court (well this plus the fact that you signed an arbitration agreement). The best you could hope for in court is return of your order fee plus perhaps a little interest.
In the email I got they said they would keep the order fee.

In arbitration I would be asking for them to honor their contract, in small claims court I would be asking for actual damages; which currently would be $7,150.

EDIT: I reread the email and it says the fee would be forfeited.

Right there with you. It's not about how it does or does not affect people that are in the order queue. It's the whinging and basic lack of comprehension in the order agreement, and trying to make Tesla the "bad guy".

In the email I got they said they would keep the order fee.

In arbitration I would be asking for them to honor their contract, in small claims court I would be asking for actual damages; which currently would be $7,150.
Let us know how that works out for you. Best case scenario is arbitration (which you agreed to in the order agreement) refunds the 250. There is no small claims court.

Let us know how that works out for you. Best case scenario is arbitration (which you agreed to in the order agreement) refunds the 250. There is no small claims court.

Wrong, it states right in the agreement that small claims court is OK:

1637984689142.png