Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Your Upcoming Model Y Order Cancelation Email

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Model Y order on hold disappeared from my Tesla account:
Received the cancellation email from Tesla on November 24 to release the hold by December 2, 2021 and get the delivery or else, my Model Y order will be cancelled automatically. It was on hold till January 1, 2022. I replied to the email 3 days back on November 26 and also spoke to a Tesla Sales Rep. and she told me that she is going to keep the hold till January 1, 2021 as it is but asked me to consider releasing the hold as soon as possible and get the delivery.

However, today (November 29), I logged into my Tesla account and found that my Model Y order has disappeared from my account’s dashboard and thus, I can not release the hold as I can not see my order/reservation. I thought I still have 4 days left till December 2 to avoid the order cancellation! I wrote another email to Tesla and still waiting for the response.

Has anyone experienced the same ? Any suggestion ?
My order is still there, I plan to release on December 1. That seems dumb, I’d talk to someone.

I wonder if it has to do with the fact you extended the hold… albeit unknown to the rep it could cancel your order since extending a hold is one of the asterisks on there that’s cause for an order cancellation. The system might have just flagged it and cancelled it automatically?

Last edited:
Model Y order on hold disappeared from my Tesla account:
Received the cancellation email from Tesla on November 24 to release the hold by December 2, 2021 and get the delivery or else, my Model Y order will be cancelled automatically. It was on hold till January 1, 2022. I replied to the email 3 days back on November 26 and also spoke to a Tesla Sales Rep. and she told me that she is going to keep the hold till January 1, 2021 as it is but asked me to consider releasing the hold as soon as possible and get the delivery.

However, today (November 29), I logged into my Tesla account and found that my Model Y order has disappeared from my account’s dashboard and thus, I can not release the hold as I can not see my order/reservation. I thought I still have 4 days left till December 2 to avoid the order cancellation! I wrote another email to Tesla and still waiting for the response.

Has anyone experienced the same ? Any suggestion ?
When did you order your vehicle???

Last edited:
Anyone know the answers to these questions?

Does the On Hold status and "I'm Ready" button go away when you start making changes to the account registration? / Do you have to click "I'm Ready" to edit the account registration?

Does the VIN ever get assigned before the Registration Details and Payment Method are saved and submitted?

Does the VIN ever get assigned before the Registration Details and Payment Method are saved and submitted?

Yes, typically VIN gets assigned before Payment Method is submitted.

This is what happened with my order. My VIN was assigned, and then I completed my payment (paid in full) when prompted, ~1 hour after I received the email. Then, later, I was unmatched from my VIN but my status still says "Prepare For Delivery" and my payment task is marked as completed.

Reactions: usb3
OD 7/11....I received this email today

Screenshot_20211130-162247_Email.jpg

I have been on Hold , Hold released, on hold.... a total of about 10 days on Hold....but I'm concerned my order can be cancelled....so
I think I will click the blue "I'm Ready" but just curious...

Anyone knows about the Cancellation terms in the Order Agreement ??? Can't find it...

This is a great thread. current significant issue for many buyers in different situations. Tesla telling customers they are going to cancel their orders all the sudden; buyers figuring out if they need to change their delivery plans right away. Sharing our experiences here is helpful to us.

This is a great thread. current significant issue for many buyers in different situations. Tesla telling customers they are going to cancel their orders all the sudden; buyers figuring out if they need to change their delivery plans right away. Sharing our experiences here is helpful to us.
The arguing over whether people have the right to near-indefinite holds or whether Tesla has the right to cancel is what I’m referring to.

• Funny
Reactions: boulder.dude
The arguing over whether people have the right to near-indefinite holds or whether Tesla has the right to cancel is what I’m referring to.
Nooo.... sharing experiences are helpful to everyone.... in my case my OD was 7/11.... I have had the Hold for about 10 days and received the Cancellation email..... don't know why....

It's not that everyone is having "right to near-indefinite holds..." as you said

Reactions: mdchen3 and Noflash
When did you order your vehicle???
In January, 2021.
However, in April, 2021, a Tesla rep. contacted me for the delivery and when I said I need more time as I am not ready then he himself extended the hold till January 1, 2022 and sent me an email confirmation.

I just spoke to a Tesla rep. yesterday and he confirmed that the order has been cancelled but, he suspected that the local Tesla store may have done it and it should not have been done as I never cancelled it myself nor I asked anyone to cancel. Rather, I had been given the time till December 2, 2021 to release the hold and get the delivery as per their own email to me so, the Tesla rep. first tried contacting the local store but no one picked up the phone and then he ended up sending an email to them, including the store manager, to get back to me on this issue.

I am still waiting, not knowing about the outcome and wondering if they will restore my order at the lower, locked price or not !

In January, 2021.
However, in April, 2021, a Tesla rep. contacted me for the delivery and when I said I need more time as I am not ready then he himself extended the hold till January 1, 2022 and sent me an email confirmation.

I just spoke to a Tesla rep. yesterday and he confirmed that the order has been cancelled but, he suspected that the local Tesla store may have done it and it should not have been done as I never cancelled it myself nor I asked anyone to cancel. Rather, I had been given the time till December 2, 2021 to release the hold and get the delivery as per their own email to me so, the Tesla rep. first tried contacting the local store but no one picked up the phone and then he ended up sending an email to them, including the store manager, to get back to me on this issue.

I am still waiting, not knowing about the outcome and wondering if they will restore my order at the lower, locked price or not !
Wow - please keep us updated on their response: especially if they will honor their explicitly granted January 1st date that you've been planning on! Of course we can't expect them to extend it further, but I think Tesla should honor their original extension period to you...

Wow - please keep us updated on their response: especially if they will honor their explicitly granted January 1st date that you've been planning on! Of course we can't expect them to extend it further, but I think Tesla should honor their original extension period to you...
Though I still do not see my Model Y order on the dashboard inside my Tesla.com account as of today and no one has yet contacted me back from Tesla Order Support or the local Tesla store (still waiting) but something strange is going on as I found a ‘Reminder’ email that came from Tesla order support about 2.5 hours after I spoke to Tesla rep. yesterday (Nov. 30) asking to remove the hold by Dec. 2 to avoid cancellation ! ( I guess it is an auto generated email reminder. )

This reminder email from Tesla is in contrast to what Tesla rep. told me yesterday that this Model Y order has been cancelled and due to this, he wrote an email to all advisors and manager at my local store to restore it and get back to me !!

While I am waiting to hear back from Tesla, I replied to this reminder email, asking to restore my order ASAP.

————————————
Here is the excerpt of the reminder email :

Subject: Reminder—Your Upcoming Model Y Order Cancellation RNnnnnn...

Your Model Y order is set to cancel soon. If you still intend to take delivery, please sign in to your Tesla Account and select “I’m Ready” by December 2, 2021.

If your order remains on hold on December 2, 2021, or is placed on hold again, it will be automatically canceled and your fee forfeited. We appreciate your understanding.
———————————-

My order is still there, I plan to release on December 1. That seems dumb, I’d talk to someone.

I wonder if it has to do with the fact you extended the hold… albeit unknown to the rep it could cancel your order since extending a hold is one of the asterisks on there that’s cause for an order cancellation. The system might have just flagged it and cancelled it automatically?
I did not extend the hold but I got your point. Rather, I just requested to keep the hold (as I still had/have time till Dec 2) and she assured me that it will remain on hold. Whatever has happened...I did not do anything so, only Tesla can explain and hopefully resolve it to my satisfaction...All I am looking forward to is to buy the vehicle at the lower, locked price.

some team pushed the delivery so hard (pressure from wall street) that's where all the cancellations coming from. Elon then sent that email ask the team don't push that hard giving customer hard time.
I don't think Elon's intention was not to give the customers a hard time... In this recent emails, he was basically saying that EoQ pushes drive cost up but not the total revenue, since you are basically pushing the sales of early next quarter to the end of this one. The total sales at a large time frame is roughly the time, but the effort to push for EoQ drives the cost up by much and it's not worth doing so in a larger picture.

Especially, in the email, he emphasized on the focus to drive cost down. As opposed to what you are saying here, I think what they are doing with the current forcing of cancellations is an attempt to drive cost down! These many people that are putting orders on hold with no clear indication of their intention and when they'll be ready to accept delivery are costly to them - for example, now they have cars that are ready and no one wants to take them, but they still have to hire employees to stand by to deliver them. A typical smooth delivery of a car becomes a series of back and forth with the customers, and this is costly. Therefore, I think the current actions aligns with Elon's email, as a consequence of trying to find resolutions to drive cost down, and this cleaning up of the waitlist is one of those resolutions.

Reactions: tm1v2
Here's my experience:
MY AWD reservation booked in the first half of 2020 (price locked in at lowest MY price)
Received the Dec 2 email
Filled out Registration and Payment over the weekend
Estimated Delivery updated from TBD to March overnight

Oh and I bought this reservation off someone

Here's my experience:
MY AWD reservation booked in the first half of 2020 (price locked in at lowest MY price)
Received the Dec 2 email
Filled out Registration and Payment over the weekend
Estimated Delivery updated from TBD to March overnight

Oh and I bought this reservation off someone

Don't be surprised if it updates to be in the next 2 weeks as that is what happened me.