Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Your wait time may be even longer. Hertz ordered 100,000 Teslas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Curious how charging is gonna play out. I’m guessing Tesla will bill Hertz directly and then they’ll add it to your bill when you return the vehicle; wonder what their upcharge will be. Also curious if they’re gonna be installing level 2 or even level 3 chargers at their rental locations, that’s gonna be a pretty big capital investment.

Reactions: thesmokingman
I would guess there will be L2 chargers at the rental location. They will be able to slap each return car onto a charger while they prep it to go out again. I too wonder if they will add a charge if you return your car in a low SOC.

Curious how charging is gonna play out. I’m guessing Tesla will bill Hertz directly and then they’ll add it to your bill when you return the vehicle; wonder what their upcharge will be. Also curious if they’re gonna be installing level 2 or even level 3 chargers at their rental locations, that’s gonna be a pretty big capital investment.
Tesla will setup Hertz customers for billing and access to the superchargers. And yea, that's a great point about Hertz adding chargers. I'd agree for sure they will add supercharegers at their locations. How else are they going to charge their fleet? It's a requirement for Hertz.

Wonder if Hertz will lock down the speed to something like 85, or 100.

And what number of miles get included in base rental charge ? If unlimited like most Hertz, then will they expect you to return the battery full ? Or what will be cost of electricity charged ?

It would seem to be straightforward and easy to calculate. Car goes out with 250 RM, and comes back in with 185 RM, then they charge you for 65 RM of electricity.

Like the Tesla loaners, they will be most likely locked in chill mode which will be a good thing. Cannot see how rental vehicles can flourish yet with EV's simply because you cannot charge at home all the time and will need to rely on superchargers, going to be quite the challenge most of the time if you ask me.

I am going to need a car in Florida for a 2 week vacation early January, no way would I rent a Tesla for the reasons mentioned above.

Reactions: thinktwice
Tesla is also gonna have to step up their service game because of this. If Hertz is spending 5 or so Billion dollars on Tesla products they’re not gonna stand for having their assets out of service for any length of time. If a 3 goes down they can’t just run it over to the local fillin’ station and have Clyde give it a once over; Tesla is gonna have to be able to service these cars anywhere in the country. The current service model seems to be a bit stretched, I’m interested in seeing how things change because of this purchase.

Reactions: Red Ryder 3
Tesla is also gonna have to step up their service game because of this. If Hertz is spending 5 or so Billion dollars on Tesla products they’re not gonna stand for having their assets out of service for any length of time. If a 3 goes down they can’t just run it over to the local fillin’ station and have Clyde give it a once over; Tesla is gonna have to be able to service these cars anywhere in the country. The current service model seems to be a bit stretched, I’m interested in seeing how things change because of this purchase.
That won't be a concern imo. Hertz and Tesla will have worked out some maintenance agreement as Hertz and others maintain their own fleets.

Reactions: saltsman
Hmmm. I would expect Hertz to be smart enough to factor in service requirements, and for Tesla to staff up for same.
I'm sure Hertz is paying retail per se, but also getting some service considerations. Like Tesla Mobile Service support, etc.

Regardless, it's a good thing for everybody - Tesla, Hertz, the EV market in general.
Well, everybody but the Legacy automakers.....