Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Your wait time may be even longer. Hertz ordered 100,000 Teslas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It appears that the wait times for Model 3s have the Hertz order already factored in. "Full price" and delivery schedule was likely decided a little while ago in negotiation prior to the announcement. I suspect that summer deliveries for upgraded wheels and much later deliveries for Aero wheels is related to the Hertz order being base priced SR+ cars.

Reactions: 73Bruin
Wonder if Hertz will lock down the speed to something like 85, or 100.

And what number of miles get included in base rental charge ? If unlimited like most Hertz, then will they expect you to return the battery full ? Or what will be cost of electricity charged ?

It would seem to be straightforward and easy to calculate. Car goes out with 250 RM, and comes back in with 185 RM, then they charge you for 65 RM of electricity.
What’s an RM?

True, but I'm sure there are more details of this agreement that we're not privy to. Supercharger cost, repair SLAs, etc., are some things I'm sure Hertz received a nice deal on. All speculation of course.

Agreed! Also quick check of the Hertz used car site, shows that Hertz tends to turn its fleet over at after 2 plus years at round 55,000 miles. That's around 9 or 10 maintenance cycles vs 2 or so for the M3s. There is also a substantial difference in the depreciation of a Tesla vs an ICE vehicle.

Reactions: cusetownusa
Recall all those Hertz Mustangs and vettes, rented on Friday and tracked on Sat.
NAhh... I was at a track event and a guy had a Hertz Mustang. It was in limp mode the whole time. He called up Hertz to complain that it wasnt driving right and they said GPS indicated it was at at race track so it limited it to 60mph. LOL! This was also the Hertz Mustang they touted as a track car. Forget what it was called.

• Funny
Reactions: cusetownusa
Also, if what Elon is saying is true, Hertz paid full price for each M3, the guy at Hertz who signed off on this deal should be fired. If you buy 100,000 cars from one manufacturer, you should never pay full price. Even if there are no other options for EVs, hold off for either a better price or wait for one of the legacy automakers. Either Elon is lying about the price paid by Hertz or this is just a good reason why Hertz tanked once already.
Maybe this is why none of the other rental car companies have purchased Teslas in quantity?
And this is why, despite the incredible performance of the stock, I won’t buy TSLA.

They've never advertised because they've never had a problem selling every car they can build. Hertz will advertise for Hertz, the Brady/Tesla part is just a nice bonus for Tesla.
Definitely a bonus for Tesla.
I heard about Tesla for years and really never had desire to get it till Tesla introduced Model Y. And I love gadgets and was reading about it a lot. And only reading through this forum for 6 months I was able to get all the answers to my worries and questions.
Now that I drive one I really wish I got one earlier like in 2014.
Tesla basically advertises cars through their customers and what I see when people talk to me is that they are clueless, do not understand how it works and paranoid getting stranded and out of juice.
If Tesla would advertise and at least made some Super Bowl commercials they would be selling 250k cars a quarter long time ago.;)

Reactions: Corndart
Never understood that you do not see Tesla advertising.
Hopefully Hertz with Brady do it for them 😂 👍
I guess more demand is truly coming

Hertz commercial
Why spend $$$$$$ on advertising when there are hundreds of YouTubers looking for something to monetize, thousands of Twitter Users to leverage, and Facebook Groups that proselytize for you ???
NOT DOING ADVERTISING IS ELON'S DOING ADVERTISING IN SPADES. And all it costs is some of Elon's time - judiciously spooned out in dribbles to tease.

Yes, MSM (mainstream media) responds by exaggerating anything negative about Tesla, and tells their Legacy Auto ad customers "look, we're doing you a solid".
But reality bites eventually, and MSM is now paying the price - recognition of their own irrelevance. The Internet kills.

Now, yet again, someone is doing Tesla's advertising FOR THEM. Elon says "thank you Hertz and Tom Brady".
BTW, I'm sure the Hertz executives that negotiated the deal included that as part of their pitch.
I'm sure also that those same executives were smart enough to get SuperCharger access at a discount (if not free), and guarantees of PREFERRED SERVICE SUPPORT as well.

But we don't know that with certainty, since the contract terms of sale have not been disclosed.
Except for what Elon wants us to know - "hey customers, you're on the same price footing as Hertz".
Well, MAYBE.....or maybe NOT.

Last edited:
Why spend $$$$$$ on advertising when there are hundreds of YouTubers looking for something to monetize, thousands of Twitter Users to leverage, and Facebook Groups that proselytize for you ???
NOT DOING ADVERTISING IS ELON'S DOING ADVERTISING IN SPADES. And all it costs is some of Elon's time - judiciously spooned out in dribbles to tease.

Yes, MSM (mainstream media) responds by exaggerating anything negative about Tesla, and tells their Legacy Auto customers "look, we're doing you a solid".
But reality bites eventually, and MSM is now paying the price - recognition of their own irrelevance.
That is exactly the point that people trust MSM garbage more than YouTube kid.
And I don’t offer go and do idiotic commercials like local Ford Chevy dealerships or 0% financing when there are no cars to buy.
MSM advertising is purely to spark interest.
May be that is the reason MSM hates Tesla because they don’t pay them for advertising 😂

That is exactly the point that people trust MSM garbage more than YouTube kid.
And I don’t offer go and do idiotic commercials like local Ford Chevy dealerships or 0% financing when there are no cars to buy.
MSM advertising is purely to spark interest.
May be that is the reason MSM hates Tesla because they don’t pay them for advertising 😂
"MSM hates Tesla for not spending on advertising"
That's part of my point.
The other part is that MSM loses NOTHING by their negative exaggerations.
Can't piss off a client you don't have... Then they spin it as a benefit to their ad clients.

Reactions: zpaul