Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

You're Invited to an Exclusive Q&A with Elon Musk!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would like to know about charging options, plugs and voltages in Europe.
I would like to know when the standard options list comes out, or the full options list with prices :)
I would like to know about a removable or permanently mounted hitch option, or if not why not? (someone please tell Mush hitches are normal on sportssedans in European countries)

Cobos

I second the high speed DC connection question. Can you ask about this for the US market as well?

Can you ask if they're planning an iPhone or similar app to check charge, turn on AC/heat remotely...etc? Thanks.

Too bad, I was invited too, but I can't make it :(

But the things I'd like to know as a European:
- 3 phase charging!
- Which plug for Europe
- When they expect the 300-mile pack to come out (If it comes later, could I buy a 230 now and upgrade later to 300 by giving the 230 back?)

On the Tesla Motors forum I posted this:

I work in the IT business so my post might be a bit technical :)

My biggest focus is the 17" screen in the center of the car, most manufacturers really screw things up. Right now i drive an Audi with MMI, but it's really and outdated system, same goes for BMW iDrive and the system Mercedes is using. Yes, they work, but they are so far behind on what we can do.

Since the Model S is going to have internet access i would recommend:
* IMAP/POP3 e-mail features
* CalDAV support for remote internet calendars in the car (This is a Open protool, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CalDAV)
* CardDAV support for remote address books ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CardDAV )
* Synchronization with Microsoft Exchange (ActiveSync)

These three features can make life much easier, for example, when at the office you plan a meeting and put it into your agenda.

Then you walk up to your car, open the calendar (which it fetches from the internet, via CalDAV or ActiveSync (while i prefere CalDAV since this is a open protocol)) and you can then select the "Location" field and feed it to your navigation. Voila, you can start driving to the appoinment you just made.

Same goes for e-mail, make it possible to select a piece of text, copy it into the clipboard, switch to navigation and then paste.

No more typing, just open your e-mail inbox or open your calendar.

But the same goes for your contacts. A friend of mine has a Toyota Prius which also has Calendar support, well, that really sucks, since it doesn't support syncing with any device, so nobody will use it.

But if you can have all your contacts with you (via CardDAV or ActiveSync, where i prefer CardDAV since this is open) you then select the "Address" field of your contact and navigate to it, simple as that!

While ofcourse synchronization with a mobile phone is easy, the internet synchronization would be even much better! The car can then operate without any other device, it just needs to have it's 3G/4G mobile connection and you are up and running!

While Apple is not my favorite brand, they really have a nice interface for their iPhone and iPad, where most of the features i just summed up are available.

But imho a internet synchronization with good and supported protocols would be great, where most of the time only ActiveSync is (poorly!) implemented, i would urge to implement IMAP/POP3 (Most used protocols for e-mail!), CalDAV (Google Calendar supports this!) and CardDAV.

But that's for the "Office" applications, playing webradio would also be great, make sure that the Model S supports several codecs, most of the time only MP3 and ACC are supported, where the Open codec Ogg ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ogg )is winning terrain. Right now only the Audi MMI supports Ogg, which is really cool!

For webradio, you should be able to load a .pls or just enter a URL manually. This way you would be able to just put up your own radio station which plays all your favorite music from home.

I myself do not own a iPod/iPhone, i simply don't like them, so a big harddisk in the car (or the possibility to plug them in via USB) would be great, just store all your music on it and drive around :)

What i want to outline, Tesla is making great steps in the way they make cars so i hope they have the same fresh vision when it comes to automation in a car. Because what would be cooler then a (semi-)open platform in the car which supports all the new protocols available on the market? Or even have the possibility to write your own small apps, The Tesla App store :)

I would really like a open software platform in the Model S and get the max out of the car. Since it will have 3G/4G internet it would be really nice to take advantage of that.

Hi there,

I would also like to know about the 3phase charging and DC fast charging possibilities for europe but rather as upgrades for the roadster. also would like to know when an eventual x model would be slated for and if that would be based on the s underpinnings or the rav-4 EV:s underpinnings.

thanks for helping us all out

/fb

What sort of charging adapter will Tesla be offering for the Roadster to meet the J1772, barrel or pigtail & when will it be available?

Also, will there be any performance difference between a regular Model S and the Signature Model S (akin to the Roadster / Roadster Sport).

i will go to the opening of Tesla Store in Milan. Does someone has questions, which i can pass to Elon Musk?

Ask him what he would do differently if he were to be starting the development of the Model S again, knowing what he knows now.

You won't get a straight answer, but it is interesting to see what sort of answers people give to questions like this.

Nik

I'm invited too, but unfortunately can't make it, so i would like to know:
- when an where can i see the interior in person ?, model s should replace our XC90, 7 seater, we'll need the third row definitely
- will TM change the nose design ?
- will there be an 4-wheel drive option, if yes, when ?
- has TM plans to invest / look for cooperation in charging stations (car parks in big city centers, highways) i would definitely prefer car parks, you go to am meeting somewhere, charge, go back home on a full charge..
- replacement batteries for the Roadster (i bought the replacement pack upfront) capacity, weight, options ?
- what is Elons personal prediction of TM shares in 12month, in 3 years ?
- how does Elon judge the impact on sales of TM S and Roadster from vehicles like the VW XL1, better Hybrids, Leaf etc ?

Good questions, but you're getting into a bit of a dodgy area here (when asking the CEO of a publicly traded company to predict future share prices...)

I'm invited too, but unfortunately can't make it, so i would like to know:
- when an where can i see the interior in person ?, model s should replace our XC90, 7 seater, we'll need the third row definitely
- will TM change the nose design ?
- will there be an 4-wheel drive option, if yes, when ?
- has TM plans to invest / look for cooperation in charging stations (car parks in big city centers, highways) i would definitely prefer car parks, you go to am meeting somewhere, charge, go back home on a full charge..
- replacement batteries for the Roadster (i bought the replacement pack upfront) capacity, weight, options ?
- what is Elons personal prediction of TM shares in 12month, in 3 years ?- how does Elon judge the impact on sales of TM S and Roadster from vehicles like the VW XL1, better Hybrids, Leaf etc ?

I was also invited but probably also can't make it. I'd like to raise the following:

- Suggest they offer 3 phase Mennekes, J1772 and CHAdeMO as standard in Europe on Model S. We are going to see them all. If they can get one or all on the remaining Roadsters, all the better.

- Suggest they have a UMC that can convert normal 3 phase supply to Mennekes standard.

- I'd like to get the Roadster sat-nav upgraded to show charging station locations and real-time availability information (like the one in the LEAF). Model S must have this.

- Link the distance remaining of your programmed sat-nav route to the real world range left in the car. Have it show up on the VDS or a gauge to allow you to moderate your driving or even better get the cruise control to drive the car in a way that matches them up (with some margin).

- Ask him to ensure the Model S has 3 phase in Europe... Did I say that already? Exactly.