Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

YouTube, Disney, Prime working while in motion!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone, this is my very first thread and my very first post. I have a bit of an Android development background you could say and I like to tinker quite a bit. I'm actually a forum moderator on XDA developers as well, so I know a little bit about tinkering.

Anyway, I just got my model 3 standard range plus 2 weeks ago and I absolutely love it! I traded my ionic for it and I am so happy. Anyway. My wife and I like to go for road trips. Long drives whatever and while we're driving she likes to watch YouTube just to stay entertained sometimes and I was able to get that working in my ioniq so I thought when I got my Tesla I would try to get it working while the vehicles in motion, that was actually fairly easily done. Actually I got it done the night I took it home. It was one of the first things I did.

Tonight I managed to also get Disney Plus and Amazon prime working again both while the vehicle is in motion which is and I will stress this for passenger use only if you do this while you're driving, it's obviously a very bad idea. Anyway, the method you utilizes Android Auto via the Tesla browser which some people are probably familiar with. Anyway, it works really well and I was able to get those three streaming apps working and I'm going to link to a very rough video I made just showing proof of concept and at a later date I'll make a proper video to tutorial that's edited nicely and doesn't look just like crap like this one does showing people how I did it. Check the link below because I can't upload the video here because it's too big so I just uploaded it to my YouTube channel and I guess that's the best way to look at it if anyone's even interested in this. Hopefully this is allowed here. I don't know, I could end up getting banned my first day lol!

I’m assuming you need an android for this to work?
Yes. Unfortunately It won't work with an iphone. Although there may be a cool trick possible utilizing the raspberry pi carplay hack I read about. I have a theory that one could hijack that method and trick the method into thinking your using an iphone when in reality you're using an Android car stick/dongle which would actually allow for many cool things to work.

I know I would definitely get my attention captured by the screen. If I bring up, say, the energy screen, I'll suddenly realize I haven't been watching the road. Like, at all!

It's worst when my wife is using the screen and I'm providing tech support. Aargh!

Neat that you were able to get that working, but maybe you should get your wife a big tablet or at least install the screen swivel.

Hi
This is awesome...

I am an old style driver, with eyes on road while driving.

That big screen is awesome for keeping passengers entertained.

Can you share a how-to video and the apps you created.

FWIW, i can beta test it and report issues back to you...

And it would be awesome to show off Android capabilities over iPhone