Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Youtube resolution now locked at 360p after update?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi there,
I recently noticed that after the latest update 2022.44.x my Youtube resolution is now locked at 'auto (360p)' and there is no way to change the resolution.
Has anyone else noticed that as well? In the past, I could pick any resolution up to 1440p.
I wish Tesla would stop taking away functions from us. :(

• Informative
Reactions: BitJam
I experienced same issue today. Tried to reboot as well as change display languages, issue not solved.Also the interface with YouTube on theatre mode is different from before. Looks more like desktop version not mobile version.

Could be a couple reasons:
AT&T could have enabled content based throttling on Tesla's account, which existed for a while already in other devices.

YouTube could have made an API change. On mobile it was already the case they are pushing the auto option (have to dig into advanced to select explicit resolution). The speeds required for each option may also have changed.

Tesla updated app, but from above it seems the same thing happened on older apps.

It would be interesting to see if putting things on WiFi changes things.

This even applies when you're on an older software. For reasons I don't need to reiterate here, I chose not to update anymore after 2022.20.8. Nevertheless, YouTube is now locked to 360p.
The web browser loads the Javascript code to run YouTube (or whatever webpage you're accessing) new each time you access the page (it may use a locally cached page, if it has reason to believe nothing has changed.) So, not upgrading the Tesla firmware won't stop any changes to pages fetched from the web. This is probably another changed on YT's end of things.

I tried on wifi, same issue happens again. And checked with other Tesla cars, also video resolution locked in on 360p. I tried to book service through Tesla app. Shortly I received a reply from local technician stating "regarding to the YouTube resolution quality that is normal as designed and cannot be changed." If that is the case, it will be very very very very disappointing.

Service Center here sent me this, after pushing 2023.2.10 a second time to my car. My complaint is ref YouTube 360 quality and Netflix looks reduced also.

ECAFC4E5-5342-4322-B242-6D14D5B4A850.jpeg