Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

YouTubing While Supercharging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would not count on those abilities coming to the Tesla interface unless they start charging for the LTE connection. Tesla pays for that connection now and probably negotiated a relatively modest bandwidth based on some updates here and there (when not on wifi), map updates, and telemetry and video data for training AI. If they start allowing people to watch Netflix and other streaming video, they may need to ask people to pay for that connection upgrade themselves.

I am just speculating of course, maybe they could absorb that bandwidth into the existing service contract.

In the meantime, just set your phone or tablet on the dash as long as you have the data services on them to support it. Cheaper than retrofitting a device to overlay an external HDMI source over the existing Tesla interface. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Big Earl
I would not count on those abilities coming to the Tesla interface unless they start charging for the LTE connection. Tesla pays for that connection now and probably negotiated a relatively modest bandwidth based on some updates here and there (when not on wifi), map updates, and telemetry and video data for training AI. If they start allowing people to watch Netflix and other streaming video, they may need to ask people to pay for that connection upgrade themselves.

I am just speculating of course, maybe they could absorb that bandwidth into the existing service contract.

In the meantime, just set your phone or tablet on the dash as long as you have the data services on them to support it. Cheaper than retrofitting a device to overlay an external HDMI source over the existing Tesla interface. :rolleyes:

To bad they didn't provide a slot for an external SIM. Had that been done, they could add the apps and codecs and only activate them when data is available via wifi or the external sim. I suppose they can still allow this via a USB SIM device plugged into MCU's USB ports.

I don't think they even need an external SIM. I think it would be easier to just have a "silver" or free'ish level that handles what they have today. And a "Gold" level where you pay a small premium to get WiFi hot-spot and ability to use more connected features from the car. I bet the carrier would love to up-sell services to all these drivers. :D

Beauty, is they can probably do all of this with a simple software update now. It already has the LTE radio and SIM. It already has WiFi radio, so just need to enable that to share the LTE. The service could be provisioned right through the MCU interface too.

I don't think they even need an external SIM. I think it would be easier to just have a "silver" or free'ish level that handles what they have today. And a "Gold" level where you pay a small premium to get WiFi hot-spot and ability to use more connected features from the car. I bet the carrier would love to up-sell services to all these drivers. :D

Beauty, is they can probably do all of this with a simple software update now. It already has the LTE radio and SIM. It already has WiFi radio, so just need to enable that to share the LTE. The service could be provisioned right through the MCU interface too.

Yeah, but I like the extra SIM idea better. Prices could be insane when you have only one vendor. To shop for your own would be nice. Also i guess hots spots would be a viable option too. Any carrier and the Tesla is on the hot spots wifi enabling high bandwidth apps.

I find the cellular network connection just plain horrible for music, can't imagine it trying to stream movies.

I would imagine that varies a lot by your location.

Yeah, but I like the extra SIM idea better. Prices could be insane when you have only one vendor. To shop for your own would be nice. Also i guess hots spots would be a viable option too. Any carrier and the Tesla is on the hot spots wifi enabling high bandwidth apps.

I can respect that. However, that would require new hardware and a lot of changes. Otherwise it could be accomplished with just a software update. You may be better off just getting a third party LTE hotspot. At least that can easily be swapped out with a 5G hotspot when available.

This would then require absolutely no support from Tesla, unless they wanted to allow some features (like video streaming) via wifi only and then they can set up multiple saved Wifi credentials for home or hotspot.

I like the tablet idea. Get an iPad with LTE (or make your phone a hotspot) and leave it in the back seat. If you every have kids back there they will appreciate it, and quit asking "Are we there yet?!!"

I find the cellular network connection just plain horrible for music, can't imagine it trying to stream movies.
Hmmm that is interesting. I haven't had that issue yet on my road trips. I routinely listen to streamed music from Korea, San Francisco, and local streamed stations without any hiccups. It makes me wonder if you have some other issue, or perhaps I am just lucky.