Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Youxia Ranger X - Chinese knockoff of the Tesla Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
LOL at my last count there were six threads on the topic. We've merged them all.

Whenever something "newsy" happens, we get multiple threads popping up all over. This is probably the most obscure topic to get that treatment so far.

Edit: And LOL at doug and I posting simultaneously.

Porsche is said to introduce a full-electric car at the next Frankfurt auto show.

porsche-pajun-0715-01-600x400.jpg

Youxia X - chinese copy of Model S

China's answer to the Tesla Model S: The Youxia X

So, copying is the biggest form of flattery, right? And having more EVs is the goal of Tesla... Did Youxia contact Tesla to get approval for using the option "patents given for free" - or Youxia doesn't include any Tesla patented tech - only the looks?

Also, couldn't they call it Youxia S instead of X... In their current way of naming the second Youxia car, their SUV, should be Youxia 3.

Even the Chinese media are now saying that the clone car IS a Model S, only modified. It seems the company has a history of doing such things. Here's a snippet from the main article:

Chinese media are surprisingly negative about Youxia Motors, describing the company’s founders as a bunch of smart ass ‘IT people’ trying to raise capital for their own misty purposes. And there seems to be some truth in that. Various sources (Huangqiu, ITtime Sina, CNR) claim and say the following :
youxia-x-tesla-model-s-02-660x299.jpg
– two years ago the Youxia Motors raised venture capital intended for the development of the Youxia One electric sportscar. One year later they build a single prototype based on the Hyundai Genesis Coupe, used that to raise some more money, and then secretly cancelled the whole project.

They instead used the money to develop the Youxia X sedan, without telling anyone, surprising investors and media alike on the unveiling event on Sunday, and investors are reportedly very pissed off. The company has not responded to these allegations, and has not denied them.

Here's the entire article.

Two thoughts on the Chinese rip-off of Model S:

1) Tesla open-sourced its patents. Elon wants other companies to copy their general approach and has repeated said the goal of Tesla is to promote the adoption of electric cars in general. So anyone is free to copy them, and it's no rip-off.

2) I was in China a couple weeks ago (I hadn't been there for ten years), and I was surprised how few Chinese-brand cars I saw. Chinese consumers appear to equate Chinese brands with low quality. The facts, reported in this thread, that YouXia motors doesn't exist in any real sense, that the "Ranger X" is a just a re-skinned, hacked Model S, that the investors of record are pissed, and that they need hundreds of millions of dollars to get production rolling, all speaks to the reason why few quality Chinese cars are seen in China--It's because there are a lot of press releases, but much less in the way of realized product. Don't believe the press releases unless there is more credible evidence.