Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

YouYou Xue crashed while on autopilot (aka Model 3 Road Trip)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
…Potentially, it was not all AP work. I believe as was the case with X, AP starts following one of these 2 white lines as a guide once it gets inside the barrier area, so right wheels could have been close to the white line on the right, which would have caused a barrier hitting the center of the car, but then You You steered to the right(?) and almost cleared it, i.e. half the distance is due to AP and the other half due to the driver steering...
That is unless he's lying somewhere.

This is again the wide lane feature/bug at its work and stalking its pray. AP didn't "veered suddenly" but it could be human's subconscious jolt from waking up. Or had the driver put his eye(s) and mind on the road, the recentering of the wide lane thing would be easily corrected and harmless. But if he didn't do any correction, it would very likely become that Model X accident in Mountain View. Lucky this round.

No matter what the driver is responsible.

Exactly, this is why most car accidents occur within 5 miles from one’s home. That is when a person is most relaxed and not paying attention because they think they know the area too well.
No No No No!!! Most accidents occur within a few miles of your home because statistically that is where you do the vast majority of your driving, in a radial pattern from you home. Has nothing to do with overconfidence and complacency due to familiarity.

And, idiots shouldn't de driving these cars. The AP is designed to supplement your driving and attention, not replace it. Stop being idiots, and the accidents go away.

And nobody should provide any funding to this morons go fund me page. Let him deal with the catastrophe he created by doing stupid things.

Grow up.

Doesn't matter if Google or Tesla had it mapped out, apparently there's no network connection for the vehicle there so it couldn't have loaded maps even if they existed. This means it also won't have "map tiles" telling it things like ignore this radar return here, handle this lane over there a special way, etc. Not exactly "flying blind" but certainly flying with zero knowledge of the area and relying totally on sensors and neural net decisions.

If AP actually uses map tiles to work reliably, maybe it shouldn't be possible to activate AP when the car knows it does not have a map tile for the road being driven.

Tesla has always been annoyingly coy about to what extent its system uses map data.

OK, I did not make an error.
View attachment 304032
At 20 meters before the barrier it still takes 2.76 G's. To get down to the 0.88 G's that Car And Driver achieved on the skid pad would require 36.2 m distance. That would be slightly over 1 second before impact.

2 things - .88 G on a skid pad is sustained lateral acceleration, the car can get higher G's on a limited term. Also, the road is banked slightly which reduces the lateral acceleration. Having said that both 8 m and 20 m are hard to believe. 8 m would take less than a ¼ second to travel, if he is looking at his phone when it started, he is not reacting that quickly. Even at 20 m it is just over ½ second.

I don't understand travelling on an unfamiliar road that is splitting into two one-lane roads at 75 mph. The road looked very well marked with some sort of lighted indication prior to the fork. If I am in that situation with the fork approaching, I'm not looking at my phone and I'm slowing down to figure out where the two roads lead.

Last edited:
2 things - .88 G on a skid pad is sustained lateral acceleration, the car can get higher G's on a limited term. Also, the road is banked slightly which reduces the lateral acceleration. Having said that both 8 m and 20 m are hard to believe. 8 m would take less than a ¼ second to travel, if he is looking at his phone when it started, he is not reacting that quickly. Even at 20 m it is just over ½ second.

I don't understand travelling on an unfamiliar road that is splitting into two one-lane roads at 75 mph. The road looked very well marked with some of lighted indication prior to the fork. If I am in that situation with the fork approaching, I'm not looking at my phone and I'm slowing down to figure out where the two roads lead.

I agree. While I mostly trust AP, there are certain situations where I would never trust it. And a two lane road turning into one lane with a gore point at 120km/h is one of those situations where I would be paying 100% attention.

15 minutes of fame comes to a crashing halt.

Not that AP would ever be at fault but perhaps if he was in a supported region, a software update would have been able to save him from himself.

The more I find out, the more I am disliking this tool.

Driving at night with no headlights ON PURPOSE? Falling asleep driving and relying on AP to save him?

GTFO.

He’s lucky it’s not his corpse being repatriated to the United States.

Lastly, Tesla did not need his “help” to sell any Model 3s.

He’s the modern day Jackass (the MTV show)

Tesla really ought to rename Autopilot. Just gives the wrong connotation. Sure, Elon and some others think it's analogous to airplane autopilot, but a car is a different beast. In a split second, one could be going from the middle of the lane to dying by hitting an object.

Call it Driver Assist.

Or Driver Assist AYOR. (AYOR is "at your own risk")

I bet if it's called Driver Assist AYOR, we wouldn't as many headlines about Autopilot accidents and if and when the system failed, it would be as big of a deal.

Tesla really ought to rename Autopilot. Just gives the wrong connotation. Sure, Elon and some others think it's analogous to airplane autopilot, but a car is a different beast. In a split second, one could be going from the middle of the lane to dying by hitting an object.

Call it Driver Assist.

Or Driver Assist AYOR. (AYOR is "at your own risk")

I bet if it's called Driver Assist AYOR, we wouldn't as many headlines about Autopilot accidents and if and when the system failed, it would be as big of a deal.
There have been 3 major headlines so far this year.

1. The guy who unfortunately died in the bay area who kept on having the same AP problem in the same exact area, and kept on using AP
2. You You, who's driven 20k miles
3. The guy who hit the firetruck

This has nothing to do with the name, because at least 2 of those 3 knew exactly what AP does and doesn't do, and the name is meaningless to them.

There have been 3 major headlines so far this year.

1. The guy who unfortunately died in the bay area who kept on having the same AP problem in the same exact area, and kept on using AP
2. You You, who's driven 20k miles
3. The guy who hit the firetruck

This has nothing to do with the name, because at least 2 of those 3 knew exactly what AP does and doesn't do, and the name is meaningless to them.

There is a 4th one of a girl who hit a firetruck (a fire department utility vehicle to be exact).

I'm not sure how much she knew.

In any case I don't think the name has anything to do with it. What does have a lot to do with it is the lack of education in how these types of systems work. It's an industrial wide problem.

I was so annoyed at peoples ignorance on the technology that I strongly thought about putting up my own money ($1K or more) as prize money for whoever creates the best AP training video. Something both fun and educational. Something Tesla could add to the car when enabling AP for the first time.

Driving south to Canaveral, DW saw a person texting on TWO phones while 'driving'. If only they had AP, since the human pilot was obviously impaired...

If you think the problem is Tesla, first read their web site describing AP, the manual describing AP, and finally do a Google search on it (such as: Tesla self-driving). The media is the one confusing people, which is sad, since they should be the ones fact checking.

Reactions: Icer and Pkmmte
2 things - .88 G on a skid pad is sustained lateral acceleration, the car can get higher G's on a limited term. Also, the road is banked slightly which reduces the lateral acceleration. Having said that both 8 m and 20 m are hard to believe. ...
I doubt that "higher G's on a limited term" could last for one second.

As far as I can see from the scene photograph, the slight banking of the road from the initial start position to the crash position is in the opposite direction which would increase the lateral acceleration. Once you are well right of the crash position the road begins to bank in the other (acceleration reducing) direction, but the whole maneuver is over before then.

I also highly doubt that the autopilot could have made a sudden swerve that was just sharp enough to prevent skidding but no more. My best guess is that, if there was any sudden veer to the right, it began at 50 meters or more before the barrier. What I am certain of is that Youyou's description is inaccurate.

Last edited:
Reactions: Icer
‘I take full responsibility but...here’s a 12 page essay why it wasn’t my fault.’

:rolleyes:

Can't agree more than this! He's just trying to make all the excuses to get Tesla involves.

I found this is the funniest part. He's blaming Tesla being impractical making people to put both of your hands on the wheel during autopilot? I believe it's in DMV driving handbook - To put both of your hands at 10 and 2 o'clock positions. So are you going to blame DMV handbook when you crash your car when using one hand?

Last edited:
  • Helpful
  • Disagree
Reactions: RBowen and SteveG3
Does anyone think that if the driver (insert latest accident victim's name here) had been paying attention to the road and what was in front of them, that things might have turned out differently?

That we would not be reading endless articles about negligence, irresponsible behavior and tragedy?

I believe for now, we all need to agree that driving with AP1 or AP2 is more challenging than regular driving and requires constant monitoring.

Vigilance is mandatory as the auto steer and TACC will not respect red lights, Gore zones, stopped vehicles or other large obstructions or construction areas. Nothing wrong with that, as it is considered only level2 driving assisting.

The problem is with drivers expectations, ignore this at your own peril. We cannot fix stupid or irresponsible behavior, nor can any car manufacturer.

If you don't agree with this, then don't use it.

• Helpful
Reactions: Icer and Krugerrand
AP was not the cause of this tragic and avoidable crash (not an accident, as this was preventable). The cause can be summed up in how YouYou labels himself on fakebook - “Public Figure”! While on his tour of the US, YouYou actually used that very phrase when talking about himself to a friend of mine road with him for a test ride (which my friend greatly appreciated, as he now loves driving his very own 3).

In the interest and aspiration of fame,YouYou took great risks (all while uninsured on his US tour and with only liability insurance in Europe) and video streamed it all to share so people would follow and like him. Hopefully this is a learning moment for him and others. All this while driving “blind” at 75mph in an unknown area at night with little care to stop whatever he was doing on his phone. All of our kids watch those fakebook posts and YouTube videos of stupid stunts like driving without headlights and they try to emulate their favorite “Public Figure”! I’m glad YouYou survived, but I’m glad this stunt has ended (for the sake of my teenage daughter who is just now learning to drive).

Also, his reaction time could not have been good because he rarely gets proper restful sleep in a hotel bed. Evidence of this is his own account of falling asleep at the wheel 15+ times where AutoPilot saved him from himself. This was a predictable crash waiting to happen...which perhaps is why no insurance company wanted to take the high risk of insuring this Public Figure who provided lots of social media evidence of his high risk driving for any insurance underwriter to see. Yes, smart insurance companies do check out the internet before insuring unique requests/events.

...we all need to agree that driving with AP1 or AP2 is more challenging than regular driving and requires constant monitoring.
If you don't agree with this, then don't use it.
I don't agree. Driving with AP1 is less challenging than regular driving. Of course it requires that you constantly monitor the road and traffic but so does "regular driving". AP takes care of most of the high-resolution input to the steering and throttle for you which significantly reduces effort and "challenge". I can't speak for AP2 specifically since I've never used it, but from what I've heard it pretty much the same story these days.

I plan to keep on using it.

• Love
Reactions: jlv1 and kavyboy
AP was not the cause of this tragic and avoidable crash (not an accident, as this was preventable). The cause can be summed up in how YouYou labels himself on fakebook - “Public Figure”! While on his tour of the US, YouYou actually used that very phrase when talking about himself to a friend of mine road with him for a test ride (which my friend greatly appreciated, as he now loves driving his very own 3).

In the interest and aspiration of fame,YouYou took great risks (all while uninsured on his US tour and with only liability insurance in Europe) and video streamed it all to share so people would follow and like him. Hopefully this is a learning moment for him and others. All this while driving “blind” at 75mph in an unknown area at night with little care to stop whatever he was doing on his phone. All of our kids watch those fakebook posts and YouTube videos of stupid stunts like driving without headlights and they try to emulate their favorite “Public Figure”! I’m glad YouYou survived, but I’m glad this stunt has ended (for the sake of my teenage daughter who is just now learning to drive).

Also, his reaction time could not have been good because he rarely gets proper restful sleep in a hotel bed. Evidence of this is his own account of falling asleep at the wheel 15+ times where AutoPilot saved him from himself. This was a predictable crash waiting to happen...which perhaps is why no insurance company wanted to take the high risk of insuring this Public Figure who provided lots of social media evidence of his high risk driving for any insurance underwriter to see. Yes, smart insurance companies do check out the internet before insuring unique requests/events.

Attention whore got gored.