TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Yuma to San Juan Capistrano

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by smsprague, Aug 27, 2014.

1. smsprague

smsprague Member

Does anyone have experience going from the Yuma Supercharger to the San Juan Capistrano Supercharger in an S85?

2. cpa

cpa Member

Probably not too safe considering the distance and the elevation gain through the coastal range east of San Diego. There is also a risk of high winds crossing the desert between Yuma and Ocotillo.

Just some food for thought: You could route your journey to Indio if the Supercharger is open by the time you depart. Otherwise, the Cathedral City Service Center has HPWC available for charging. Then, you could take a scenic drive up SR74 south out of Cathedral City, west through Hemet to Lake Elsinore, then continuing on SR74 (Ortega Highway) all the way to San Juan Capistrano. (I believe the Supercharger is just off Ortega Highway.) The first 25 miles are a climb, but then almost all the rest of the journey is downhill. This leg should use around 40 kWh.

As a bit of trivia, if you ever saw the movie, "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World," the opening scenes where Jimmy Durante drove his Ford off the winding road was filmed on the segment south of Cathedral City!

3. liuping

liuping Active Member

I don't think that is possible unless you drive dangerously slow (and even then you might not make it). Yuma to Del Mar is pushing it, SJC is quite a bit further. I'd check EV Trip Planner

You can stop at the San Diego Service center for at least a fairly quick charge, if you have twin chargers. They have several HPWCs available for public charging.

4. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

I've done the Yuma -> Quartzite -> Cathedral City (service center, HPWC) -> San Juan Capistrano trip. Cathedral City folks were fun and helpful. They have HPWCs that are available outside of business hours and have HPWCs in the back where they do washes :))).

5. smsprague

smsprague Member

I made it yesterday with 10 miles left - left Yuma with 262 range charge

6. DennisLevitt

DennisLevitt Member

That's impressive @smsprague. Yesterday was very hot so the A/C must have been blasting. What was your average speed?

7. smsprague

smsprague Member

It was 112 in Yuma - yikes - I had interior set to 72 - range mode and went speed limit 65 to 75. Was all set to get a charge at Tesla store in San Diego but did not need it

8. smsprague

smsprague Member

#8 smsprague, Sep 1, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
    Just did reverse trip San March 13 - March 21Juan Capistrano to Yuma - 72 inside - cruise set to 5 over limit - left with 265 arrived with 18