Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yup! Better touchscreen and browser is here!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hopefully other things speed up. I just got .12 yesterday (and new nav today) on my old MCU car and was just thinking how slow the display was when I attempted to set the seat heater to "1" but because it was so slow, I thought the touch didn't register, so clicked it again, then again, then suddenly the seat went to "3", so it did register and cache the touches, just didn't render them real-time. *sigh* My wife's new MCU car has an update pending, maybe .14 (the car is currently on .10) so the new MCU may get this update first for us.

You'll absolutely notice a difference. Everything is silky smooth. In my car Spotify and TuneIn work without buffering at all as well.

One other thing for the Australians in the room. Also got a prompt when I chose to navigate and it popped up saying navigation routing now uses traffic data and will reroute when required. I believe it only showed it before, in this update it uses it now for routing intelligence.

One other thing for the Australians in the room. Also got a prompt when I chose to navigate and it popped up saying navigation routing now uses traffic data and will reroute when required. I believe it only showed it before, in this update it uses it now for routing intelligence.

Interesting, didn't have this popup here in Europe (on 2018.14 update since yesterday, I drove this morning with navigation engaged)

slightly off topic, sorry for that OP. How much at Tesla SC to get the 4 tires purchased/mounted/installed/balanced?

I just got new 19’ tires on Tuesday. A set of 4 cost $1100. NTB was charging $1300 for the same. I have about 20k on the odometer.

Back on topic: I have a 2016 AP1 90D and was on .4 when I took the car in for the tire swap. I picked up the car and was still on the same firmware but .14 did download soon after I got home. No maps yet but at least the browser is somewhat useable.

Tesla should allow the browser to at least stream audio. I agree with them about limiting video. It would be a nice stop gap for the media player limitations.

• Helpful
Reactions: phaduman
In early March, my S85D (AP1) was still on 2017.50.2 from December. Wondering what was up, I called tech support and asked them to see if there was something that might be preventing a software download / upgrade. They looked into it (while I was still on the phone, and my car was in my garage) and said my download was "stuck". They gave something a kick and 30 minutes later I had an alert on my phone for a new software version. That got me to 2018.6.1. My car downloaded 2018.12 on its own near the end of March, so I guess it's all working correctly now. Now I'm waiting for 2018.14 like everybody else. :)

Maybe give tech support a call?

Bruce.

Thanks! I'll do that.

I have a 2015 MS 85D w/ AP1 and was 'stuck' on 2018.6 for quite some time....then last night downloaded .14
Is it normal to 'skip' versions like that? (I assume you get everything that was included in the prior versions?)
I haven't had enough time to play with things much yet today, will look at it this afternoon and report any good news!
(Although I did check and the EQ settings changed that has been discussed in other threads - that isn't great)

Ok the message I got is the same as this one Teslarati just reported on.

Tesla pushes Waze-like Traffic-based Navigation in latest update

Wonder if this means I have new maps too (doubt it but not sure how to check map versions)? Anyone from Australia able to post a photo of navigation from their steering cluster so I can compare if any changes?

Shane.

Viewing the video showing the updated browser performance with 2018.14, it makes me wonder whether Tesla implemented some sort of cloud-based remote browser rendering. Almost appears that bitmap images are being rendered in the browser, as opposed to actual HTML. Would be interesting to test any site that has dynamic content on it, for example images updating.

Browserling (Browserling - Live interactive cross-browser testing) is an example of a service that does this. Renders remotely and sends down images of the rendered web page.

Maybe I'm wrong, just a hunch.

Reactions: BHCLUC
Viewing the video showing the updated browser performance with 2018.14, it makes me wonder whether Tesla implemented some sort of cloud-based remote browser rendering. Almost appears that bitmap images are being rendered in the browser, as opposed to actual HTML. Would be interesting to test any site that has dynamic content on it, for example images updating.

Browserling (Browserling - Live interactive cross-browser testing) is an example of a service that does this. Renders remotely and sends down images of the rendered web page.

Maybe I'm wrong, just a hunch.
Won’t that take a lot of processing power and effectively waste the compute capability of the on board MCU? Also I assume it would take a huge amount of data to send hi res images down instead of HTML.

Won’t that take a lot of processing power and effectively waste the compute capability of the on board MCU? Also I assume it would take a huge amount of data to send hi res images down instead of HTML.

No, it takes a great deal less processing power on the client side. It's just displaying an image. As far as bandwidth goes, it's not that intensive to send compressed image data down to the client, and bandwidth is not the rate limiting factor, it's still the CPU bottleneck.

Again, just a hunch.

No, it takes a great deal less processing power on the client side. It's just displaying an image. As far as bandwidth goes, it's not that intensive to send compressed image data down to the client, and bandwidth is not the rate limiting factor, it's still the CPU bottleneck.

Again, just a hunch.

If you look at how the web page content in the video seems to appear in large chunks at a time while scrolling up and down, that is what raises my suspicion.

Thanks for posting. Noticed the load error on Slacker - wished that would improve.
That was the first thing to catch my eye as well. In the short amount of time I've had 2018.14 (a single day's commute), my experience has been that Slacker played without a hitch on the way to work, and only had one loading error on the way home. Prior to this update, it could not go more than a few minutes without dropping the stream and spinning the fail-wheel.

I have a 2015 MS 85D w/ AP1 and was 'stuck' on 2018.6 for quite some time....then last night downloaded .14
Is it normal to 'skip' versions like that? (I assume you get everything that was included in the prior versions?)
I haven't had enough time to play with things much yet today, will look at it this afternoon and report any good news!
(Although I did check and the EQ settings changed that has been discussed in other threads - that isn't great)

Yes, it is pretty normal to skip versions. It does contain everything from the other versions.

What's this about EQ changes?

Yes, it is pretty normal to skip versions. It does contain everything from the other versions.

What's this about EQ changes?

Thanks, I thought so, but couldn't remember ever skipping that many releases before.

There are a few other threads covering the topic already, but with one of the most recent updates (.10 or .12?) the audio equalizer settings changed from a max of 12 db to 8db. It has really reduced the quality of the sound if your settings are up at those ranges (most noticeably the bass side of the spectrum).

Reactions: Max Headroom
Thanks, I thought so, but couldn't remember ever skipping that many releases before.

There are a few other threads covering the topic already, but with one of the most recent updates (.10 or .12?) the audio equalizer settings changed from a max of 12 db to 8db. It has really reduced the quality of the sound if your settings are up at those ranges (most noticeably the bass side of the spectrum).
I had all my EQ at 0 before the update and it was perfect... now with 18.12 its awful / very annoying, the sound feels very flat and dead now even with high quality FLAC and WAV tracks. I don't think it has anything to do with the EQ. I do think it has to do with the way Tesla is processing the audio now, this change was definitely for the worse I've sent an email to [email protected] in regards to the issue expressing my disappointment especially since I have the "" premium audio which doesn't feel so premium anymore.

I had all my EQ at 0 before the update and it was perfect... now with 18.12 its awful / very annoying, the sound feels very flat and dead now even with high quality FLAC and WAV tracks. I don't think it has anything to do with the EQ. I do think it has to do with the way Tesla is processing the audio now, this change was definitely for the worse I've sent an email to [email protected] in regards to the issue expressing my disappointment especially since I have the "" premium audio which doesn't feel so premium anymore.

Same issue here!

• Informative
Reactions: Tech_Guy