TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

ZAP-X! A worthy competitor to the Tesla Roadster??

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by tonybelding, Jan 30, 2007.

1. tonybelding

tonybelding Active Member

ZAP announced they've entered into partnership with Lotus Engineering to create an electric car based on the Lotus APX concept car. It will be called the ZAP-X and the projected specifications sound more than impressive, I'd call them incredible. It's a four-door "crossover" style car with four in-hub motors totalling 644 HP output, projected top speed 155 MPH, range 350 miles per charge, and supposedly can recharge in 10 minutes (how can that be possible??).

They also mention that "An auxiliary power unit is planned to support longer distance journeys." which would effectively turn it into a PHEV.

Full story at Jalopnik:

http://jalopnik.com/cars/alternative-energy/zap-lotus-team-up-on-electric-crossover-suv-232415.php

EDIT: More at Autoblog Green. . .

http://www.autobloggreen.com/2007/01/30/no-tesla-cuv-but-zap-will-build-the-lotus-apx-with-batteries/

2. DDB

DDB Member

Terrific...but how much is this thing going to cost?

3. Tesla2Go

Tesla2Go Member

I don't like the too agressive headlights/tail lights of that design, but otherwise it looks good. Charge time 10 minutes? For 350 miles worth of charge.....what kind of outlet would that require?

4. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Where's our 0-60 time?

Looks like the new breed of Suzuki.

5. Iz

Iz EVs are here to stay

Thanks for posting this ;D

I do not believe it will compete with the Roadster but will definitely give potential Tesla sedan buyers something to think about.

350 miles on a charge? By placing the motors on the wheels there is more room for batteries. Having wheel motors however generates a whole new set of issues.

On the positive, there are photos.

The vehicle has TAILPIPES ??? (for those “longer distance journeys”?) At 350 miles/charge they could probably simplify the design by removing the auxiliary power unit and those TAILPIPES!!

6. danny

danny Administrator

I'm not sure of this but I believe the images come from pictures made of a potential lotus crossover. It seems the pics have been adapted for the zap.

7. tonybelding

tonybelding Active Member

The Lotus APX was a concept car that Lotus Engineering built some time back to show off their aluminum fabrication technology. All the photos shown in that article are the gasoline-powered APX, not the ZAP-X. Since the ZAP-X will be based directly on the APX design, there shouldn't be too many changes. (The article makes it sound like the ZAP-X will be closer to the APX than the Tesla Roadster is to the Elise, for example.)