Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Zappi Chargers vs normal Tesla charger?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

On Saturday I went to the Fully Charged Live event at Sliverstone. It was pretty good and I finally got to see a model 3 performance in the flesh. I'll hopefully be getting mine sometime in July.

There was also a ton of companies selling smart chargers, in fact so many I now feel a little overwhelmed. I spoke to a energy provider called Octopus energy, they seem pretty good and looking at their rates it would reduce my energy bills by almost half! They're working alongside a company called Zappi chargers. I've watched the Fully Charged review on them and they seem like a great company and the deal with Octopus seems good because you get the charger and install for just over £500.

But it seems that to get the real benefit of the charger, you're best having solar panels. I don't have solar panels and probably won't be getting any in the near future. So is it worth getting one of these Zappi chargers or just go with a Tesla one?

Also would be good to hear people's thoughts on Octopus energy.

Many thanks,

Peter

I’m with Octopus, not been with them long but am already saving and when I get my smart meter I can then benefit from 5p between 12:30-4:30am (I think it is)

If you sign up and use my code or anyone else’s we both get some money :)

Referral codes not allowed - Moderator

I have Tesla charger, main benefit from Zappi is setting timers and having control over the charger via app etc. The Tesla one is nice looking and being able to press the button to open the charge port is nice but not worth the additional costs as no help from government with Tesla charger

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Watts_Up
£500 doesn't sound like a very special deal. Surely with a government grant you are typically paying less than £500 for installation on pretty much any charger?
I've been quoted over £900 for the new Zappi + Harvi + Hub alone; labour (and other kit to connect it all up) is extra so if Octopus are offering the new charger for £500 (£1000 less £500 OLEV grant) it would be a saving on the headline price.

I don't have a smart meter and at present solar PV doesn't make financial sense (better for me to just buy from a 100% renewable supplier for now) but I'm still interested in the Zappi as there is an element of future proofing my kit so it could make use of 1/2 hourly variable tariffs / battery storage (and possibly even domestic solar if the government ever get round to supporting the industry properly). No doubt there are cheaper solutions out there (actually I'm just using my Tesla UMC on a commando socket at present) but Zappi + Octopus looks like an interesting proposition.

Hi all,

On Saturday I went to the Fully Charged Live event at Sliverstone. It was pretty good and I finally got to see a model 3 performance in the flesh. I'll hopefully be getting mine sometime in July.

There was also a ton of companies selling smart chargers, in fact so many I now feel a little overwhelmed. I spoke to a energy provider called Octopus energy, they seem pretty good and looking at their rates it would reduce my energy bills by almost half! They're working alongside a company called Zappi chargers. I've watched the Fully Charged review on them and they seem like a great company and the deal with Octopus seems good because you get the charger and install for just over £500.

But it seems that to get the real benefit of the charger, you're best having solar panels. I don't have solar panels and probably won't be getting any in the near future. So is it worth getting one of these Zappi chargers or just go with a Tesla one?

Also would be good to hear people's thoughts on Octopus energy.

Many thanks,

Peter

I ws also at Fully Charged and had a long chat with the guy from My Energi. I think that, as you say, it really benefits if you have solar panels as you can set it up to only use the energy genrated by your panels to charge and not the grid. I would strongly recommend them. You could probably have a 4kw sytem installed for 5K. Anyway, i am not sure if the Tesla app of it self can do automatic start stop charging but I know a few third part apps like TeslaFi can. I also get teh impression that you can set up automation via things like IFTTT but I have not done anything like that as I am still awaiting my M3. I guess in summary I would say you don't NEED the Zappi charger if it's not the cheapest for you as you can replicate the start stop timing that you need to use Octopus with other apps.

I also spoke to Octopus. The overnight cheap rate is good but you need to look at gas prices as well (assuming you will go dual fuel) and the standing charge. My current British Gas standing charge is 22p vs 26p for Octopus. If I ever bother doing a comparison I'll post it here. Also there is another enrgy company that offers similar cheap overnight charging but I can't find it. now.

I’m with Octopus, not been with them long but am already saving and when I get my smart meter I can then benefit from 5p between 12:30-4:30am (I think it is)

If you sign up and use my code or anyone else’s we both get some money :)

Referral codes not allowed - Moderator

I have Tesla charger, main benefit from Zappi is setting timers and having control over the charger via app etc. The Tesla one is nice looking and being able to press the button to open the charge port is nice but not worth the additional costs as no help from government with Tesla charger
Thanks Penfold, so it sounds like a good deal to go for. I'm not bothered about the charger port not opening for me, I'm not that lazy :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Watts_Up
I've been quoted over £900 for the new Zappi + Harvi + Hub alone; labour (and other kit to connect it all up) is extra so if Octopus are offering the new charger for £500 (£1000 less £500 OLEV grant) it would be a saving on the headline price.

I don't have a smart meter and at present solar PV doesn't make financial sense (better for me to just buy from a 100% renewable supplier for now) but I'm still interested in the Zappi as there is an element of future proofing my kit so it could make use of 1/2 hourly variable tariffs / battery storage (and possibly even domestic solar if the government ever get round to supporting the industry properly). No doubt there are cheaper solutions out there (actually I'm just using my Tesla UMC on a commando socket at present) but Zappi + Octopus looks like an interesting proposition.

Yes it's £539 in the brochure for the charger plus install as long as you're OLEV eligible . They use a company called EcoPlugg for the installations. I spoke to both and they both said that unless it's a really unusual install than the £539 should cover it. The maximum they've ever charged for an install is £300 more than the base price and apparently that involved a lot armoured cabling and faffing about . I can't remember the maximum length of cable they provided as standard in that install but I think it's 12 metres. I told them I'd probably need 40 metres as my drive is quite long and they said it would probably be an extra £100.

I'm the same as you in that I see it as worth getting just to future proof. Especially considering it's pretty much the same price as the Tesla charger.

I ws also at Fully Charged and had a long chat with the guy from My Energi. I think that, as you say, it really benefits if you have solar panels as you can set it up to only use the energy genrated by your panels to charge and not the grid. I would strongly recommend them. You could probably have a 4kw sytem installed for 5K. Anyway, i am not sure if the Tesla app of it self can do automatic start stop charging but I know a few third part apps like TeslaFi can. I also get teh impression that you can set up automation via things like IFTTT but I have not done anything like that as I am still awaiting my M3. I guess in summary I would say you don't NEED the Zappi charger if it's not the cheapest for you as you can replicate the start stop timing that you need to use Octopus with other apps.

I also spoke to Octopus. The overnight cheap rate is good but you need to look at gas prices as well (assuming you will go dual fuel) and the standing charge. My current British Gas standing charge is 22p vs 26p for Octopus. If I ever bother doing a comparison I'll post it here. Also there is another enrgy company that offers similar cheap overnight charging but I can't find it. now.
Interesting, I'll double check the pricing compared to what I have now. But for the KW I entered for the dual energy quote octopus's overall monthly cost was the same as just our electric bill. I also checked the go compare site and all of the other providers were more expensive. I'll give them a call today and see of there are any hidden gotcha's that I'm missing.

I spoke to a energy provider called Octopus energy, they seem pretty good and looking at their rates it would reduce my energy bills by almost half!

Note that their "EV Special" has (from memory) a 4 hours Off peak overnight period (which is a lot shorter than Economy-7 - 7 hours Natch!) so only gets you around 80 miles range in that period, as against 150 miles for E7 - that may well be enough for most people, most night, of course, but on any nights when it isn;t you are going to be paying Peak price for charging. And if you want 100% shortly before departure, and you are leaving no later than 7AM (8AM in Summer) [or realistically "within an hour or so f that"] then again you will be paying Peak Price on that tariff, compared to E7

Also, that tariff has a significant higher evening-rate (when you come home / cooking etc.) So you need to be sure that whatever penalty you incur there is beaten by the overnight car charging saving (or you have a PowerWall Battery ... or eat out every night :D

This is only an issue for those people for whom it is an issue of course :) Just might not be quite such a good deal as face-value.

you get the charger and install for just over £500

I think that is a lot. Charger is typically £500 (Tesla is £460), installation typically £300, OLEV grant is £500. OLEV installs seem to cost more than non-OLEV ones (cost of Red Tape? Profiteering? Dunno)

it really benefits if you have solar panels as you can set it up to only use the energy genrated by your panels to charge and not the grid

But ... only if the car is at home during the day, to be able to put "PV into EV" :). Otherwise its only weekend ... and only if you don't go out for the day :(

I'm not bothered about the charger port not opening for me, I'm not that lazy

My wife considers it an annoyance ... opening the charger is easy, modern cars you just push the flap and it opens, but disconnect requires:

• Long press on keyfob (Dunno about Model-3 as no keyfob?) This does NOT work for my wife as her keyfob is buried in handbag and less convenient than me getting mine out of my pocket)
  • Get out the APP and "Unlock charge port" - not exactly "instant"
  • Get into car, do "Unlock charge port" from dashboard, get back out and unplug. Definitely not instant
Unless I have missed some other convenient method?

Note that their "EV Special" has (from memory) a 4 hours Off peak overnight period (which is a lot shorter than Economy-7 - 7 hours Natch!) so only gets you around 80 miles range in that period, as against 150 miles for E7 - that may well be enough for most people, most night, of course, but on any nights when it isn;t you are going to be paying Peak price for charging. And if you want 100% shortly before departure, and you are leaving no later than 7AM (8AM in Summer) [or realistically "within an hour or so f that"] then again you will be paying Peak Price on that tariff, compared to E7

Also, that tariff has a significant higher evening-rate (when you come home / cooking etc.) So you need to be sure that whatever penalty you incur there is beaten by the overnight car charging saving (or you have a PowerWall Battery ... or eat out every night :D

This is only an issue for those people for whom it is an issue of course :) Just might not be quite such a good deal as face-value.

I think that is a lot. Charger is typically £500 (Tesla is £460), installation typically £300, OLEV grant is £500. OLEV installs seem to cost more than non-OLEV ones (cost of Red Tape? Profiteering? Dunno)

But ... only if the car is at home during the day, to be able to put "PV into EV" :). Otherwise its only weekend ... and only if you don't go out for the day :(

My wife considers it an annoyance ... opening the charger is easy, modern cars you just push the flap and it opens, but disconnect requires:

• Long press on keyfob (Dunno about Model-3 as no keyfob?) This does NOT work for my wife as her keyfob is buried in handbag and less convenient than me getting mine out of my pocket)
  • Get out the APP and "Unlock charge port" - not exactly "instant"
  • Get into car, do "Unlock charge port" from dashboard, get back out and unplug. Definitely not instant
Unless I have missed some other convenient method?

Thanks for the advice. I don't have an economy 7 meter, I'm guessing that would be extra money to install or do they do free installs?

Yes solar panels seem a bit pointless without having a battery to store the energy as well, which is why I'm holding off until the tech is cheaper.

Didn't realise it was such a pain to open the latch on the electrical port. Definitely something to take into consideration then.

I don't have an economy 7 meter, I'm guessing that would be extra money to install or do they do free installs?

I think it you change supplier to get E7 Tariff then the meter is their problem (same as Octopus Go needing a Smart meter before they can give you that rate). But its only a guess. Even if "Your cost" it might not be expensive (compared to savings)

Didn't realise it was such a pain to open the latch on the electrical port.

I didn't mean to overstate it ...

I have absolutely no issue with using log-press on Fob, as stated my wife finds that more annoying as she has to dig fob out of handbag.

I'm not an avid mobile phone user, but people who I know who are are very agile at being in the right APP at the right time ... for such a person using APP to unlock charger is probably no more effort than me getting the Fob out of my pocket and doing the long-press (that takes a few seconds in total).

pressing the button on the Tesla charger "wand" is definitely the easiest of the lot ... but no OLEV grant on a Tesla charger.

Loads of 1st World Problems :rolleyes:

I agree, it seems a lot. I know prices change, but when I used the OLEV grant to have the Rolec installed for my original Leaf 24, I could have had the tethered Rolec put in for £99, or the untethered for £149, which I opted for. Those prices covered “standard installation”, which covered up to 10m of armoured cable, and you needed a spare breaker in the consumer unit. So total cost including the grant was £599 or £649.

How does the Zappi charger work if the 12:30am to 4:30am cheap period isn't enough to fully charge the car? Can you tell it to try to charge cheaply, but carry on into the expensive period if needed?
No smart charger needed for this. The car will do it, so long as the wall connector will deliver the power - I guess with Zappi you would use it in some 'manual' mode.