Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Zappi install and questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are better people than me to advise on electric specifics but from my experience you don’t need a Harvi. Just a hub and a Zappi.
even if you add solar at some point you may well not need a Harvi. I haven’t got one.
a 60amp mains fuse should be OK. I had one up until last year. If the incoming mains cables are sufficient, Your DNO may be happy to upgrade it. Mine is now 100amps.
the hub allows access to Zappi controls and shows what power is going where
here’s mine right now
Interested in your setup and what CT clamps you have got and on what, as you don't have a Harvi. We've got solar, Powerwall and Zappi being installed at the moment and the installer says we only need a CT on the grid connection and battery, so Zappi can be set to not drain the battery when charging if we want that. To see you solar production as well needs another CT, which you have, as your screenshot shows that. I thought Zappi had two CT connections, the third only being available when there's three-phase? I'm also wondering about both cars showing in the app.. Have you got two Zappi's, or are you able to name them and select depending on which one is being charged? Thanks..

Interested in your setup and what CT clamps you have got and on what, as you don't have a Harvi. We've got solar, Powerwall and Zappi being installed at the moment and the installer says we only need a CT on the grid connection and battery, so Zappi can be set to not drain the battery when charging if we want that. To see you solar production as well needs another CT, which you have, as your screenshot shows that. I thought Zappi had two CT connections, the third only being available when there's three-phase? I'm also wondering about both cars showing in the app.. Have you got two Zappi's, or are you able to name them and select depending on which one is being charged? Thanks..
Yes, I have two Zappi’s and an Eddi so effectively I could fix 6 CT’s. One Zappi in the garage has solar and grid CT’s and the outdoor Zappi has the Powerwall CT. Eddi has none. In your case to fit a solar CT, you would need a Harvi.
how you proceed, depends really upon how much solar you have.
i genuinely have no idea how the whole system will work in the absence of a solar CT. It may well work to your benefit but, there’s a but... if the Powerwall is full and the car is charging, but not from the Powerwall, it will draw 1.4Kw in eco mode or 7Kw in fast mode and I assume nothing in eco+ mode because it cannot see any surplus solar. I’d say that would lose some of the benefits the Zappi can give.
My advice would be to discuss the proposal with Myenergi and get their view if you haven’t done so.
All that said it depends upon when you expect to charge.
i charge at night from the grid in winter and from solar the rest of the year. With 2 PW’s I can afford to steal a bit from them too.
Avoiding charging from the PW is a bit tricky i agree.
I’m sure it’s quite easy to retrofit a Harvi and CT to the system
hope that helps
EDIT
earlier in the day I was getting 10Kw solar now I’m down to 1Kw and the car is drawing 500w from the PW

Reactions: Burley
Yes, I have two Zappi’s and an Eddi so effectively I could fix 6 CT’s. One Zappi in the garage has solar and grid CT’s and the outdoor Zappi has the Powerwall CT. Eddi has none. In your case to fit a solar CT, you would need a Harvi.
i genuinely have no idea how the whole system will work in the absence of a solar CT. It may well work to your benefit but, there’s a but... if the Powerwall is full and the car is charging, but not from the Powerwall, it will draw 1.4Kw in eco mode or 7Kw in fast mode and I assume nothing in eco+ mode because it cannot see any surplus solar. I’d say that would lose some of the benefits the Zappi can give.
My advice would be to discuss the proposal with Myenergi and get their view if you haven’t done so.
i charge at night from the grid in winter and from solar the rest of the year. With 2 PW’s I can afford to steal a bit from them too.
hope that helps
EDIT
earlier in the day I was getting 10Kw solar now I’m down to 1Kw and the car is drawing 500w from the PW
The solar CT is only for show, allowing the apps and charts to show what’s coming from the PV and deduce the house consumption. It doesn’t actually affect the working of the Zappi/Eddi. The only mandatory CT is grid, and if you have an AC battery then a CT on that feed is preferable in order to control charge/discharge of that.

Thanks. Didn’t realise I could use the eco and eco plus modes because they use renewable energy. So for me the Eco modes would just adapt how much power goes to the car and when the car charges depending on my electric usage in the house at that time.

I checked with one of the Myenergi guys and his response was;

• ECO+ is standby,
  • ECO 1.4kW immediate charge
  • FAST immediate 7kW charge.
  • Scheduled boosts - leave the zappi in eco+ (standby) then when the boost starts the EV will charge at full power
It's essential that they have the grid CT fitted.

I checked with one of the Myenergi guys and his response was;

• ECO+ is standby,
  • ECO 1.4kW immediate charge
  • FAST immediate 7kW charge.
  • Scheduled boosts - leave the zappi in eco+ (standby) then when the boost starts the EV will charge at full power
It's essential that they have the grid CT fitted.
Thanks. I’m still a bit new to this. What’s the grid CT?

According to this looks like I might need a Harvi. I will be having my Zappi attached to a sub consumer board in a different place to the main board. Will have to check with the installer when I have decided.
45D8396C-4529-486C-B665-E04335BCE55C.png

hope that helps
EDIT
Thanks for that detailed response. I will get in touch with MyEnergi if we need to. The plan is to use the powerwall to run the house outside of solar generation and we are on GO so can charge the PW and the car overnight when extra is needed. I'm expecting we will set the Zappi to 'do not drain', at least initially to try not to use the battery if the car is attached to the charger on Eco+ in the daytime.

Thanks for that detailed response. I will get in touch with MyEnergi if we need to. The plan is to use the powerwall to run the house outside of solar generation and we are on GO so can charge the PW and the car overnight when extra is needed. I'm expecting we will set the Zappi to 'do not drain', at least initially to try not to use the battery if the car is attached to the charger on Eco+ in the daytime.
Ah, I see what you’re trying to achieve. The PW will see solar and utilise it but the Zappi won’t see it but will use it when you let it.
how much solar have you?

Still waiting to go on the roof, but eleven 375w panels on a south facing roof, connected to a 3.6kw SolarEdge invertor. Its the max we can fit to the space available. I suspect there won't be too much excess for car charging except on very sunny days in the summer.

Still waiting to go on the roof, but eleven 375w panels on a south facing roof, connected to a 3.6kw SolarEdge invertor. Its the max we can fit to the space available. I suspect there won't be too much excess for car charging except on very sunny days in the summer.
Nice! I’d guess that will give somewhere around 3000Kwh pa based upon mine. Probably better as mine suffer a bit of shade. On a good day in May I reckon you’ll get at least 30Kwh.
and if it dares to export... 🤣🤣

Well, hoping it will be as good as that. We're having voltage optimisers too, so shading shouldn't be too big a problem. Will have to see how it goes over the year as a whole I guess.
optimisers do a good job. My original 28 panels are 4 strings of 7 but the other 13 are optimised. They do better than half the 28.
do you know if your PW can be uncapped to charge/discharge at 5Kwh. i think they are normally capped at 3Kw or 3.5. That’s useful when boiling a kettle when something else is running. My 2 PW’s allow 10Kw

It'll be capped to 3.6. Partly due to time taken to get DNO approval for 5kW. The installer's experience is that they sit on requests for the full 9 weeks, then charge a few hundred quid for the priviledge. Given that the invertor is limited to 3.6kW, its a marginal benefit to uncork the PW. It's something we could do retrospectively. We're having a backup gateway too. I think if we were in an area where we had regular power cuts, we probably would do it.

Nice! I’d guess that will give somewhere around 3000Kwh pa based upon mine. Probably better as mine suffer a bit of shade. On a good day in May I reckon you’ll get at least 30Kwh.
and if it dares to export... 🤣🤣
My original 3.9 kWp array on a 3.6 kWp SolaX inverter generated just over 3500 kWh, last year. South facing with no shading. During the summer, we get a reasonable amount of surplus, though our house battery is only 6.5 kWh. What I found was there wouldn’t be many hours of surplus over 1.4 kW after the house battery had charged, so I’ve ended up adding another 2.7 kWp on west, east and partly shaded south roof.