Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Zappi or Hypervolt for a solar home system ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ah I see. Which model do you have ? I think the latest version (2.1) comes with inbuilt Wi-Fi connection capability
97119AB7-F5AA-40FC-BF4C-218A324E22A1.jpeg
2FF1E605-2149-41E1-897A-2357E0C0B838.jpeg

mines definitely on 2.0 and I’m connected via Wi-FI so not I’m not sure what is new on 2.1

The Harvi is not a wifi device, it's used to connect CT clamps wirelessly to the Zappi or Hub (ours has a Hub as it predates this functionality being integrated into the Zappi).

Our Zappi came with a single cable which provides the T+E connection to the CU and this cable also integrates a twisted pair with a CT clamp. So for installation of a CT to sense a single current flow there is no Harvi needed - this is a neat solution. You can wire up to three CTs directly into the Zappi.. But with our solar in the garage routing cabling for a CT clamp would have been a nuisance, so we got a Harvi and put a CT clamp into that. The Harvi draws power from the CT clamp in order to transmit the signal.
I see .... I might end up in similar situation i think. I have a detached garage (which already has a mini CU) and Zappi installers told me they will run wirings from the main CU (which is in my home) through the rooms using trunking all the way to the detached garage. They have not mentioned about any CT or Harvi as of now.

Im planning to get the solar fitted soon in the future. Any gotchas or advice for my installers ?

Last edited:
T
I was asking around all the EV charger manufacturers when I knew I was moving house and was deciding if I should stick with Zappi or switch. I asked all of them including Hypervolt what made their charger better than Zappi. Hypervolt were the only company to bad mouth Zappi rather than promoting anything positive about their product. That plus when I asked if they did a remote CT clamp like the Myenrgi Harvi and all they could say was they didn't because it would break the regulations and said Myenrgi were in breach of the regulations by selling them, which I researched and isn't true.

Due to the arrogant attitude of not trying to sell their products but bad mouth the competition and lying, I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole even if they had the best product out there.

Other manufacturers were more creative with their benefits over Zappi, like they did different colours. A couple said that all the chargers were basically the same and it came down to only small differences, I don't think that is true. In the end I stuck with my Zappi and actually had it disconnected and moved to the new house as that was cheapest,
Wow, thats crazy! Good to know though.

And since then, are you happy with Zappi ?

T

Wow, thats crazy! Good to know though.

And since then, are you happy with Zappi ?
I'm happy with the Zappi, I have a few niggles, which I'm sure is my laziness to research properly. As with most things which have a lot of flexibility there are options in both the app and on the charger and sometimes it can be hard to work out what you should set. That said if you just want a charger which works with solar and you just want to plug it in and forget about it then is does just work. I sometimes make my life difficult with the need to fiddle with things I shouldn't!

I would thoroughly recommend hypervolt. Not only do they look smart and unobtrusive, they have a solar link (see below), you can schedule charges, easily lock, and most importantly fantastic customer services.

I had issues with our installer's installation leaving us late on a Friday without to working. CS are on the end of a phone 7-days a week and after a few attempts to do an over the phone fix, the head engineer came out to work with the installer to get it right... only a couple of days after.

We've had ours from the beginning of the year and the only issue has been installer related.

One thing to highlight is you need to make sure the installer knows to ask for a Tesla specific unit as the plug is different (the cut outs differ by mm but will result in not charging).

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220816-125935.jpg
    Screenshot_20220816-125935.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 62
  • Screenshot_20220816-130023.jpg
    Screenshot_20220816-130023.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 57
  • Screenshot_20220816-130056.jpg
    Screenshot_20220816-130056.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 62
My Hypervolt has turned yellow from the UV, they won't do anything about it, it's only been 10 months since installed
They still haven't fixed their 'test' charge data from install since last year
They don't seem to know how to fix the GMT/BST time issue with scheduled charging. Charges one hour later than scheduled

One thing to highlight is you need to make sure the installer knows to ask for a Tesla specific unit as the plug is different (the cut outs differ by mm but will result in not charging).

It really is a poor show that Hypervolt haven't sorted this by now. Every other Type 2 cable connects to my car ... but Hypervolt have obviously committed to buying a batch of Type 2 connectors that are not universal ... and this has been the case for quite a while. You don't have to specify Telsa when buying any other Type 2 cable or charge point as far as I know! If your in-laws have a Hypervolt but for another EV brand you may not be able to use it with your Tesla then?

It really is a poor show that Hypervolt haven't sorted this by now. Every other Type 2 cable connects to my car ... but Hypervolt have obviously committed to buying a batch of Type 2 connectors that are not universal ... and this has been the case for quite a while. You don't have to specify Telsa when buying any other Type 2 cable or charge point as far as I know! If your in-laws have a Hypervolt but for another EV brand you may not be able to use it with your Tesla then?
I believe they were generic plugs until Tesla made a change to their locking mechanism. Can't really blame hypervolt for that!

Seems like it's not a problem anymore though.

Can't say I've experienced the other issues highlighted here, so can't comment on them.

Reactions: Casss
This is really a non discussion. If you are interested in quality, safety and the future uses get a Zappi. I started my solar life a number of years ago got a then "state of the art Rolec charger which set on fire a couple of months in. Then I researched rather than take my installers word and got my Zappi. Not a single problem since. I have a Hub, a Harvi and an EDDI and the wonderful My Energi App!
Look no further - there is no better charger in the UK. They are a great British Company, designing and manufacturing in the UK

Reactions: RCMY
This is really a non discussion. If you are interested in quality, safety and the future uses get a Zappi. I started my solar life a number of years ago got a then "state of the art Rolec charger which set on fire a couple of months in. Then I researched rather than take my installers word and got my Zappi. Not a single problem since. I have a Hub, a Harvi and an EDDI and the wonderful My Energi App!
Look no further - there is no better charger in the UK. They are a great British Company, designing and manufacturing in the UK
Just had solar system installed and the same firm installed Myenergi suite: Harvi (CT clamps transmitter); Eddi (diverts excess solar to at least 2 other things (e.g. immersion heater); zappi; and Hub. I actually did the set up so they can talk to each other and was simple. No car yet so can’t comment on the charging by zappi but my research took me there. Monitoring everything away on holiday and it all just works! Love it so far!

Are your happy with the solar installers you worked with ? If yes could you tell me who they were. I’m planning to get them installed as well

Just had solar system installed and the same firm installed Myenergi suite: Harvi (CT clamps transmitter); Eddi (diverts excess solar to at least 2 other things (e.g. immersion heater); zappi; and Hub. I actually did the set up so they can talk to each other and was simple. No car yet so can’t comment on the charging by zappi but my research took me there. Monitoring everything away on holiday and it all just works! Love it so far!
Are your happy with the solar installers you worked with ? If yes could you tell me who they were. I’m planning to get them installed as well

Local firm based in Northern Ireland. As important is which system - the key components are the inverter and optimisers - SolarEdge for me and my research suggested they were good. Solar panels are pretty similar but see what your are proposed. Definitely shop around. Myenergi stuff is easy enough to add afterwards if they don’t do.