Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

zefnet 11.5 kW charger for Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My electricity comes from Wright Hennepin. They have have some rebates available if we buy their preferred charger.
There is a $1000 rebate for zefnet charger. It has a meter built in to it and our electricity company is pushing hard to use this adapter. Charging is only available from 11 pm to 7 am.
11.5 kW ZEFNET 60 Electric Vehicle (EV) Charger

Tesla charger has similar 11.5 kW capacity.

I can also choose the use Tesla charger but I will need to install a separate meter to get $500 rebate.
It will allow charging to be available 24/7 but rates will be higher during day time charging. Cost for charging between 11 pm and 7 am will be same.

As long as it is not too expensive to install an additional meter I may still go with Tesla charger.

Charging is only available from 11 pm to 7 am.
As long as it is not too expensive to install an additional meter I may still go with Tesla charger.
To get the 11.5 kW installed you need a 60 Amps circuit breaker, the charging will be done at 48 Amps, or 80% [typo was 60%] of the max current.

So you need to see you your panel has enough capacity, unless the charger will use a separate line?
Otherwise I noticed that there are also a 10kW (40 Amps, 50 Amps max) and a 7.7 kW (32 Amps, 40 Amps max).

Something to check is if the meter will starts exactly at 11 pm or if the starting time might vary.
If you set your car to start charging at 11:00 pm but the night meter is activated later, like 11:15 pm,
the car at 11:00 pm will not detected any power and will go back to sleep, even if later on the line is active.
This is a common problem reported in the UK if you want to search about this issue.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC
48A on a 60A is 80%, not 60% so it’s not that bad.

80% of breaker is pretty common. At one I houses I only have 15A available for where the car needs to car and it tops out at 12A, never higher.

It’s more than enough at the location and for the driving pattern. In that case it’s not worth the $1000 - $2000 just to charge faster (and more efficiently) for the cable tun from box, fuse, charger, labor, permits.

Thankfully I have 30A at the other properties but I just use the charger that came with the car and the optional $35 Tesla adapter.

My electricity comes from Wright Hennepin. They have have some rebates available if we buy their preferred charger.
There is a $1000 rebate for zefnet charger. It has a meter built in to it and our electricity company is pushing hard to use this adapter. Charging is only available from 11 pm to 7 am.

Tesla charger has similar 11.5 kW capacity.

I can also choose the use Tesla charger but I will need to install a separate meter to get $500 rebate.
It will allow charging to be available 24/7 but rates will be higher during day time charging. Cost for charging between 11 pm and 7 am will be same.

Being restricted to charge only 11pm to 7am can be annoying. Granted most people will only need to charge during those times 95% of the time. I also used a non tesla charger since my local electric company gave us a rebate only on certain brand. Not as much as yours,but without the restrictions. One thing I guess is that means when the car need to pre condition the battery after 7 am, it will have to use the actual car battery power to do that since the charger won't work? Yeah, I would say go with the Tesla options because of the restrictions they set.

Reactions: kayak1
I recall from your earlier post that you stated you typically drive ~50 miles per day, M - F. In addition to the Model Y, you currently have two other (ICE) vehicles. Have your driving needs changed? Either of the ZEFNET charging stations, the 8kW or the 11.5kW, would more than meet your daily charging needs. If you find, after a time, that the 11PM to 7AM charging window is too restrictive you could always drop out of the program, install the Tesla Wall Connector if you wanted.

Reactions: polyphonic54
I recall from your earlier post that you stated you typically drive ~50 miles per day, M - F. In addition to the Model Y, you currently have two other (ICE) vehicles. Have your driving needs changed? Either of the ZEFNET charging stations, the 8kW or the 11.5kW, would more than meet your daily charging needs. If you find, after a time, that the 11PM to 7AM charging window is too restrictive you could always drop out of the program, install the Tesla Wall Connector if you wanted.
Nothing has changed at all. I have been working from home since March and most likely will not be driving much until next sprint.
As a new electric car owner(next month) I am suffering from range anxiety. I ended up ordering 11.5kW charger.

I don't believe there were too many Model Y owners last winter to gauge range loss due to cold weather. I'm guessing ~20% loss of range due to low temperatures. With a full charge 200 to 220 miles should be possible in the coldest weather.

From what I have read, plugging in the Model Y will not automatically warm the battery pack. Delayed charging, set to end as late in the A.M. as possible or just before you plan to drive is probably the best option to help ensure that the battery has been warmed. I don't know if preconditioning the Model Y's cabin will also warm the battery pack. Driving will slowly warm the battery pack; on a short trip the battery may not warm sufficiently for full regenerative braking to be available. Another way to have the Model Y warm the battery pack is to set your destination to be a nearby SuperCharger.

The ZEFNET charging station appears to be based on the ClipperCreek high power HCS-60 electric vehicle service equipment (EVSE.) My experience with ClipperCreek is limited to the lower power LCS-20; in my garage the charging cable of the LCS-20 remained flexible until temperatures dropped below 20F, then the charging cable became more resistant to being uncoiled and moved around. Single digit temperatures are rare in my area, the coldest temperature that I have observed in my garage has been 15F. I don't know if the protective sheathing of the charging cable used with the higher power HCS series is made of the same material, would remain flexible at even lower temperatures. The Grizzl-E EVSE, made in Canada, is available with an optional charging cable that remains flexible at low temperatures.

Last edited:
I don't believe there were too many Model Y owners last winter to gauge range loss due to cold weather. I'm guessing ~20% loss of range due to low temperatures. With a full charge 200 to 220 miles should be possible in the coldest weather.

From what I have read, plugging in the Model Y will not automatically warm the battery pack. Delayed charging, set to end as late in the A.M. as possible or just before you plan to drive is probably the best option to help ensure that the battery has been warmed. I don't know if preconditioning the Model Y's cabin will also warm the battery pack. Driving will slowly warm the battery pack; on a short trip the battery may not warm sufficiently for full regenerative braking to be available. Another way to have the Model Y warm the battery pack is to set your destination to be a nearby SuperCharger.

The ZEFNET charging station appears to be based on the ClipperCreek high power HCS-60 electric vehicle service equipment (EVSE.) My experience with ClipperCreek is limited to the lower power LCS-20; in my garage the charging cable of the LCS-20 remained flexible until temperatures dropped below 20F, then the charging cable became more resistant to being uncoiled and moved around. Single digit temperatures are rare in my area, the coldest temperature that I have observed in my garage has been 15F. I don't know if the protective sheathing of the charging cable used with the higher power HCS series is made of the same material, would remain flexible at even lower temperatures. The Grizzl-E EVSE, made in Canada, is available with an optional charging cable that remains flexible at low temperatures.

I do plan to start charging late so it is ready by the time I drive each morning.
January is our coldest month and average high is 22 and low is 6. So we will certain stress test the charger, cable and MY.
In the past few years I have thought about adding additional insulation to my garage. It is not expensive and will make the garage warmer.
I will check out Grizz EVSE. Nice to see folks thinking about cables that stay flexible in extreme temperatures.