Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Zero battery indicated all of sudden

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can anyone explain this???? Looked at the status about 0600 this morning 189 miles now, I get a notification indicating I have low charge?

Attachments

• 1307311226.png
    1307311226.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 364
Can anyone explain this???? Looked at the status about 0600 this morning 189 miles now, I get a notification indicating I have low charge?

That's the first!

Interior 59F is not that cold for S and X but I am not sure about Model 3.

Since there's a snowflake icon, we know that the car feels cold. So what's the ambient temperature that your car is feeling?

Where did the low charge warning appear (car's display screen or phone app) and what did it say "low 12V?"

I didn't know the battery gauge would show 0 miles when there's still about 189 miles.

If you do a reboot (holding 2 scrolling wheels on the steering wheel down at the same time until your screen reboots then you can release them), then see if the battery gauge would display some miles and not 0 miles!

Does your 15" instrument cluster also say 0 miles or there's the difference between the cell phone display and your car's display?

Very interesting!

Cold weather caused your battery to be too cold. When the battery is cold it will reduce the available energy available until the battery warms up. How long had it sat for? How many miles were available after you drove it last?
Parked it last night around 830pm. At which time the status was 189 miles. Low temp was 52 degrees. But it did drizzel a bit of rain last night...

I think it's a display bug with the Tesla app. Maybe try logging out and logging back into the app, I'd even try re-installing the app. If you're not close to your vehicle to physically verify, I would just call Tesla and see if they can remotely ping your car and see what it's reporting. It's bad for the battery to be depleted for an extended period if the status is accurate.

• Disagree
Reactions: Silicon Desert
That's the first!

Interior 59F is not that cold for S and X but I am not sure about Model 3.

Since there's a snowflake icon, we know that the car feels cold. So what's the ambient temperature that your car is feeling?

Where did the low charge warning appear (car's display screen or phone app) and what did it say "low 12V?"

I didn't know the battery gauge would show 0 miles when there's still about 189 miles.

If you do a reboot (holding 2 scrolling wheels on the steering wheel down at the same time until your screen reboots then you can release them), then see if the battery gauge would display some miles and not 0 miles!

Does your 15" instrument cluster also say 0 miles or there's the difference between the cell phone display and your car's display?

Very interesting!
Very interesting indeed. Did the reboot as suggested. But here's a recent screenshot. Wasn't there a recent software update?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190625-120042.png
    Screenshot_20190625-120042.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 235
  • IMG_20190625_121530.jpg
    IMG_20190625_121530.jpg
    571.5 KB · Views: 242
Very interesting indeed. Did the reboot as suggested. But here's a recent screenshot. Wasn't there a recent software update?

Ok I'm just going to say this for now...charge to say 70-80% and then show us what is happening...I'm not discounting what you are saying but with low battery SOC there isn't much margin for seeing what is really going on, especially with cold weather issues.

Reactions: MaryAnning3

Looks like the reboot:

1) fixed the snowflake icon on the app (gone means no longer cold)
2) shows 34 miles on the instrument cluster (an improvement from zero)

However, it doesn't fix:
1) 0 miles on the app
2) Snowflake icon on the instrument cluster while the ambient is 64F.
3) 34 miles is too low if the last reading was 189 miles.
4) Instrument cluster error message: "Car needs Service. May not restart".

Guesses:
Did you just update your software? Automatically set it to do it during the night?

An incomplete update can produce "Car needs Service": but it looks like it is complete. So it doesn't make sense.

Action:
Charge your car back to 90% and if everything works normally, maybe it's just 1 unreproducible random error.

If things don't get back to normal after the charge, I would call Tesla and make an appointment to fix it.

Good luck!

Reactions: Pegann
Holey moley! We have had great luck with the Portland Service Center but, wow, that is a huge deal (I presume) to replace the HV battery pack. Let us all know how that goes: hopefully they can get the parts in to Portland within a reasonable period of time.

Holey moley! We have had great luck with the Portland Service Center but, wow, that is a huge deal (I presume) to replace the HV battery pack. Let us all know how that goes: hopefully they can get the parts in to Portland within a reasonable period of time.
It a huge deal:) But yeah I'll let you all know. Received a response that the battery will be here next week. Fingers crossed.

Sorry this happened to you. However, this is a very unusual occurrence with the current generation batteries, and the car should be awesome after they replace it. Good luck
Thank you. Meanwhile, I get to drive a model S loaner! Yeah I'm getting that this is unusual, but it has me worried what else unusual could come up next. Feeling cursed, lol