Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Zero battery indicated all of sudden

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hear you. Before my first P85D I had a BMW 650 xDrive. Gorgeous car, got one of the first to arrive in US on an impulse buy on Black Friday (yes, they had a good sale). Next morning it barely started, every alarm was on - I think it was firing only on 4 of 8 cylinders. The dealer felt bad, got the mechanics to work on my car that Saturday, got it fixed. Had 0 problems for the next 3 years of lease..... So in the end I still loved the car - fabulous. Bet your Tesla will be the same

It a huge deal:) But yeah I'll let you all know. Received a response that the battery will be here next week. Fingers crossed.

Not to minimize the pain of having a brand new car completely broken, but in some ways it's not a bad repair. The don't have to disrupt lots of the interior and possibly introduce all kinds of squeaks and rattles and misalign your interior trim, for example.

With this there are few interior bits they remove to get to some bolts, but the rest, I believe, is done from under the car.

I hear you. Before my first P85D I had a BMW 650 xDrive. Gorgeous car, got one of the first to arrive in US on an impulse buy on Black Friday (yes, they had a good sale). Next morning it barely started, every alarm was on - I think it was firing only on 4 of 8 cylinders. The dealer felt bad, got the mechanics to work on my car that Saturday, got it fixed. Had 0 problems for the next 3 years of lease..... So in the end I still loved the car - fabulous. Bet your Tesla will be the same
I'm currently actually driving a 85D
Not to minimize the pain of having a brand new car completely broken, but in some ways it's not a bad repair. The don't have to disrupt lots of the interior and possibly introduce all kinds of squeaks and rattles and misalign your interior trim, for example.

With this there are few interior bits they remove to get to some bolts, but the rest, I believe, is done from under the car.
This is helpful, I was wondering how they would get to the battery. I'll be sure to check the interior, anything I should be specifically looking at to make sure it was properly put back together?

So you all, thanks for all the feedback but after contacting TRA, it was towed to service center, diagnosed and you all ready for this....a replacement HV battery is what's needed. Having the vehicle for a day shy of two weeks, it will be covered under warranty but jeeze
Gee, that is unusual. I guess we can look on the bright side...… at least the battery didn't explode in a mushroom cloud of fire. :eek:

I'm currently actually driving a 85D

This is helpful, I was wondering how they would get to the battery. I'll be sure to check the interior, anything I should be specifically looking at to make sure it was properly put back together?

Keep in mind these guys probably removed a bit more than they had to...but there are quite a few bolts inside the vehicle...

This stuff really does just bolt together though, so assuming it's done by competent & experienced mechanics it should be ok. Not awesome, but there's really no reason to think it can't be put back together perfectly.

Keep in mind these guys probably removed a bit more than they had to...but there are quite a few bolts inside the vehicle...

This stuff really does just bolt together though, so assuming it's done by competent & experienced mechanics it should be ok. Not awesome, but there's really no reason to think it can't be put back together perfectly.
Oh my God

• Love
Reactions: derotam and mswlogo
That video is like watching a horror movie. Is there a way I can get Tesla to give me a whole new vehicle??!!! I've only had it for a week an a half.

There is a lot of misinformation in this thread. It’s really not that bad. It’s bolts, clips and electrical connectors that easily unplug. I’ve taken apart and put back together my fair share of vehicle interiors. Tesla will make it right and your car will be as good as new.

...That video is like watching a horror movie...

That's because they didn't know how to do it and they had to figure out where the bolts were because there are no instructions, no service manuals...

It's all trials and errors for that video.

The purpose of that video is to get the battery as a valuable commodity from the junk car. There's no need to put back the battery or to keep the interior nice because the rest is all junk.

It's different at Tesla's shop. They have the service manuals. They go through training. They know exactly how many bolts and where they are...

Your car should look like new by the time they are done.

...Is there a way I can get Tesla to give me a whole new vehicle??!!! I've only had it for a week an a half.

That's an option. Legally, it's been over the refundable 7-day limit so I am not sure whether Tesla is open to it.

• Helpful
Reactions: Pegann and Big Earl
Gee, that is unusual. I guess we can look on the bright side...… at least the battery didn't explode in a mushroom cloud of fire. :eek:
That's because they didn't know how to do it and they had to figure out where the bolts were because there are no instructions, no service manuals...

It's all trials and errors for that video.

The purpose of that video is to get the battery as a valuable commodity from the junk car. There's no need to put back the battery or to keep the interior nice because the rest is all junk.

It's different at Tesla's shop. They have the service manuals. They go through training. They know exactly how many bolts and where they are...

Your car should look like new by the time they are done.

That's an option. Legally, it's been over the refundable 7-day limit so I am not sure whether Tesla is open to it.
Thank you for the reassurance, I just need to hang tight and keep the faith. I guess it wouldn't hurt to ask, I'll let you know

That video is like watching a horror movie. Is there a way I can get Tesla to give me a whole new vehicle??!!! I've only had it for a week an a half.

As I said, these guys did NOT know what they were doing.

I post it to give you a general idea of what is needed.

Rest assured Tesla has an extremely detailed step-by-step guide to how to remove the battery and replace and reassemble your vehicle. They also have equipment specifically designed for disassembly.

Cars are made to be taken apart; removing the interior is really no big deal when done with appropriate tools and knowledge. Putting back together is no big deal either; every bolt has a torque spec that will be followed precisely.

Repainting a car? That is a HUGE deal. Much more difficult to do correctly (it’s actually impossible I think). You don’t have to worry about that.

They will get your car back together just fine. I just think it is in your interest to know roughly what is involved. It is better to know what was touched. It is prudent to look over the interior carefully when getting the car back - minor things can be overlooked even by well-trained and competent mechanics.

Hope you get the car back soon!

Reactions: Pegann
@Pegann - I had the same issue when I first got my car May of last year, happened the very first time I tried to update the firmware. They replaced a module (you don't need new batteries) and a new 12V battery as the other one died. It also gave me the opportunity to have the SC fix some small issues I noticed after delivery.

It took a few days to fix (less than a week) and have not had any issues since. The module is located beneath the rear seat.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Electric700
Even though those guys were learning as they go, it still looks like a major job. Entire interior removed, pulling up carpeting. Tesla couldn’t even get my trim pieces back in correctly after replacing rear window.

I feel OP’s grief.

I’d try to ask for a replacement if it were mine. Can’t hurt to ask.

Given the Model 3 is supposed to be a lot simpler I’m surprised how invasive it was to remove.

Also that whole inverter controller is supposed to be a big deal in simplifying assembly and repair of the Model 3 but it looks like it sits on top of the battery. Ugh. It’s like you have remove the engine to replace a transmission.

Tesla might salvage that and have to take that apart too. Or they stay as a matched set. Who knows.

The car sure looks like it’s put together well though.

• Helpful
Also that whole inverter controller is supposed to be a big deal in simplifying assembly and repair of the Model 3 but it looks like it sits on top of the battery. Ugh. It’s like you have remove the engine to replace a transmission.

If you mean the PCS (Power Conversion System), that module is accessed by popping off the rear seat bottom. Easily done - had to have mine replaced last week. From what I understand, the only complication for that procedure is that the coolant has to be drained, since it flows through a plate on the bottom of that board.

If you mean the PCS (Power Conversion System), that module is accessed by popping off the rear seat bottom. Easily done - had to have mine replaced last week. From what I understand, the only complication for that procedure is that the coolant has to be drained, since it flows through a plate on the bottom of that board.

Did they replace it through the back seat?

Cars are made to be taken apart; removing the interior is really no big deal when done with appropriate tools and knowledge. Putting back together is no big deal either; every bolt has a torque spec that will be followed precisely.

I agree with the first part of your statement, but knowing a few dealership mechanics of multiple brands differ on the second half. No mechanic trying to beat book time is going to use a torque wrench on a piece of interior trim.

However, good mechanics DO take pride in their work. From experience they know approximate torque values and absolutely can put things back together properly. But they are human. It's actually much more likely they forget properly put a piece of interior trim in correctly as opposed to something major that is drivetrain related.

The interesting thing about the Model 3 is that, in many ways, it's easier to service than a conventional luxury car.

• Helpful
Huh? I was suprised at how easy the disassembly was...

I thought the same, but for someone unfamiliar with auto repair I can see the concern. As others mentioned these people were also going in blind which also makes things difficult.

It beats the heck out of trying to pull a conventional internal combustion motor. Messiest part on the Model 3 is the coolant.