Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Zero battery indicated all of sudden

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
(moderator note) post moved from model 3 subforum and a thread that was 3 years old, as this post is about a model S)

Something similar happened to me today with my 2018 Model S. I used the Supercharger at the mall near my condo this afternoon. I was waiting in my car and it was almost finished when I get notice on the screen that charging was cut off. Since I was almost done, I just decided to unplug and leave. As I was doing so, a man nearby asked if charging just cut off for me. I confirmed it had; and he seemed to indicate the Supercharger was having some issues. I didn’t think much of it. At the time, the battery read around 270 miles. About went home and about two hours later I get an alert on the app that my battery was at zero! I went down to the car (condo garage) and found that sure enough battery indicator was at zero and screens are alerting that the car is shutting down. I tried a software reboot, but it was the same. Screens and doors were working but car could not drive. I ended up having it towed to the service center. I was told the HV battery was damaged likely from a malfunction of the Supercharger and it would require replacement. Fortunately, it’s covered but it will take about 6 weeks to get a HV battery; and I’m fifth on the waiting list for a loaner. Until a loaner is available, they gave me a $100 a day Uber voucher. Yes, I’m a condo owner and regularly Supercharge but I had not been experiencing any battery problems or noticeable range loss before this sudden dramatic incident. Oh, and I’m also in Miami, FL and the temp was about 75 F today.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
Sorry to see that happened, but glad it is covered. What went wrong at the Supercharger? Was it an overload? The cars really should have protection built-in for situations like this (either for AC or DC fast charging). If they do, then something may have gone wrong with the protection circuitry in yours.

Can I bet some bitcoin a module in the hv fried and Tesla will replace the battery? Don’t get excited, though, as it’ll likely be reman and carry no extra warranty beyond your current battery warranty expiration.

I’m on my third battery, and both times what happened to you is what happened to me. Mysterious vanishing of available range and shutting down. Tesla will likely diagnose a damaged module.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
One of the drone flights, maybe on Monday, showed groups of employees pushing new Model Y's back into the factory. Check it out.

at around 1:17 shows a screen capture but later in the video there is more action.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to see that happened, but glad it is covered. What went wrong at the Supercharger? Was it an overload? The cars really should have protection built-in for situations like this (either for AC or DC fast charging). If they do, then something may have gone wrong with the protection circuitry in yours.

I still haven't seen an update on the protection circuitry status from the OP. Is there an update on that (will they repair / replace it as part of the main battery replacement)? Also, any more information about what happened at the Supercharger?

I still haven't seen an update on the protection circuitry status from the OP. Is there an update on that (will they repair / replace it as part of the main battery replacement)? Also, any more information about what happened at the Supercharger?
It's interesting that the OP's account is new with exactly one post in almost a full month. I'm seeing other new threads like this here too. With a problem that severe, you'd think there would be more updates from the OP right? Which Tesla location are you working with Daybreaq?

Reactions: cgell
(moderator note) post moved from model 3 subforum and a thread that was 3 years old, as this post is about a model S)

Something similar happened to me today with my 2018 Model S. I used the Supercharger at the mall near my condo this afternoon. I was waiting in my car and it was almost finished when I get notice on the screen that charging was cut off. Since I was almost done, I just decided to unplug and leave. As I was doing so, a man nearby asked if charging just cut off for me. I confirmed it had; and he seemed to indicate the Supercharger was having some issues. I didn’t think much of it. At the time, the battery read around 270 miles. About went home and about two hours later I get an alert on the app that my battery was at zero! I went down to the car (condo garage) and found that sure enough battery indicator was at zero and screens are alerting that the car is shutting down. I tried a software reboot, but it was the same. Screens and doors were working but car could not drive. I ended up having it towed to the service center. I was told the HV battery was damaged likely from a malfunction of the Supercharger and it would require replacement. Fortunately, it’s covered but it will take about 6 weeks to get a HV battery; and I’m fifth on the waiting list for a loaner. Until a loaner is available, they gave me a $100 a day Uber voucher. Yes, I’m a condo owner and regularly Supercharge but I had not been experiencing any battery problems or noticeable range loss before this sudden dramatic incident. Oh, and I’m also in Miami, FL and the temp was about 75 F today.
I had the same exact problem but my car was out of warranty and tesla charged me for the part and service. Malfunction of Supercharger made more damages and Tesla asking me to pay additional 2K. Do you mind sending me your information so I can tell Tesla that you had the same issue and Tesla covered it? My email address is [email protected]

May be related, may be not, but had "vanish to 0" episode after the '16 S arrived home one day with 16 miles range and then plugged into a Tesla wall charger that, itself, was unplugged. So,similar circumstances accept with home A/C charging:
-previous night, lots of unable to charge errors (I had my 10KW heater plugged in, and no A/C going to the Tesla charger)
-car used next day, before phantom range loss, using the miles that were remaining before that evening's "16". I was aware because I learned the car hadn't charged that day and was watching to be sure wife's commute successful.
-She plugged into the unpowered charger and in the time she came inside, and I went outside, the 16 miles became "0 miles".
-I was using the phone app, which corroborated her reported and my witnessed "16".
-Unplugged car, plugged charger to wall, plugged car in, at 240v / 40A, and it took 10-15 minutes to post its first mile of range.
-Supercharged later that evening. All fine, since.

I hope folks experiencing this with a supercharger try charging on A/C, to see if the car resets? I chalked it up to wonky messaging from a dead power source. I post because that may be the shared symptom, between DCFC and wall units; IOW, the car can error on a bad charging source.

May be related, may be not, but had "vanish to 0" episode after the '16 S arrived home one day with 16 miles range...
I expect this is normal and expected. When you are at very low SOC levels, and park, the battery cools quickly and in as little as 15 minutes that range disappears because a cold battery has less power than a warm one. At higher states of charge, the battery will warm itself to regain power that would not be there if left cold. Once it gets to 0% SOC, it no longer has enough power to heat itself and regain that power.

Anyway, it's important that you start charging as soon as you stop when the range is less than 30-40 miles or so. The colder the temperatures, the more critical it becomes.