Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Zero emission refrigeration units

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

adiggs

Sep 25, 2012
Portland, OR
TMC20: Wabash, C&S Wholesale Grocers to put zero-emissions refrigerated trailer on California highways - FreightWaves

We've periodically also talked about how lovely it'd be if in addition to electrifying the tractors, we could also electrify the trailers. Particularly the refrigerated trailers as they've got a diesel unit running to power a refrigerator.

This article is about some work being done along those lines.

One of the ideas I find particularly appealing about what this company is doing, is it's not just more and more batteries to make it work. They're also significantly improving the insulation using some new materials and trailer design so that less refrigeration is needed, along with solar on the roof to augment the available energy, at least when the sun is shining.

At least part of the solution - the improved trailer design - is something that could also be applied to diesel powered refrigeration units / trailers as a means of lowering their total diesel consumption to keep the trailer refrigerated. And THAT is a characteristic of Tesla design that is sometimes under appreciated. Tesla's maniacal focus on aerodynamic drag is something that any car design (electric or not) could make use of, to at least some degree, as a fuel efficiency improvement.

Posting this for those interested in seeing how the complete electrification of commercial trucking etc.. is progressing, this being 1 of many parts to that.

I didn't see anything in the article that mentioned, and I'd say that this is such early days that questions like yours are still being identified as questions to answer :)

I would expect something of an all-of-the-above type of answer. I.e. - a connector that enables connection of the tractor to the trailer, at least on electric tractors, so that the trailer battery can charge to some degree (with an emphasis on retaining enough energy to get to where you're going, but otherwise emphasizing tractor energy over trailer energy).

A connector or connectors to enable being plugged in at the warehouse and store. At minimum, a 110, though I suspect refrigeration for a trailer will exceed the power available from a 110 - especially in the summer. So stores might need to make a 30amp 200v circuit available at each loading dock where refrigerated trailers are docked.

Really - the only thing you can take away from my answer is I don't know, and I don't know what I'm talking about :). But I'm excited to see the beginnings of people in the industry trying to solve problems like this!

Reactions: kayak1
I, for one, would love these to get widespread use. I live right next to a restaurant. Twice now for hosting large public events, they've parked a diesel trailer 50 yards from my bedroom and left it running for 4 days straight, resonating the whole house making it difficult to sleep. I complained on the first night, but they told me they cycled on and off. Unfortunately, it ran about 95% on and 5% off. Annoying to say the least!