Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Zero-G wheels have different offsets

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the 40mm offset on my car. Now I feel compelled to check for the counterbore

Here you go.

ET34:

464AD2D9-D912-4A4C-8B70-D3A247D7E65D.jpeg 27D045D5-6201-4712-B50E-ED7A84DEFA62.jpeg

ET40:

96DA8B5E-0ED5-454E-A836-92A2E9470D49.jpeg A908318C-3B6D-4A96-82F5-4A116E6B33C4.jpeg

Reactions: holmgang and Zoomit
I wasn’t doubting you. Just kicking myself that I didn’t check when I had my wheels off. I just want to confirm that there aren’t 3 versions of wheels now. Not likely, I know....

haha, all good. Just wanted to save you some trouble and get the photos out there. I know it would’ve been helpful to me a few weeks back and will be helpful to others going forward.

Just to clarify for this thread, the Performance Upgrade brakes hats are 2.5 mm thick, while the standard brake hats are 7.5 mm thick. That difference of 5 mm is why Tesla sells two different 20" Sport wheel designs. The ET35 20" wheels are for cars with the Perf Upgrade brakes while the ET40 wheels are for standard brakes.

The same is true for the new Zero-G wheels, except for some reason they designed the wheels for the Perf Upgrade brakes to be ET34 vice ET35.

This is separate than the counterbore needed on wheels to fit the Performance Update brake and hub combination.

Just took delivery of the wheel set (loaded in trunk / back seat) from Pomona Service Center. They provided me with 2x ET34 and 2x ET40. They insisted that it's a "staggered" setup (not really what staggered means) and that it's what is provided to all referral bonus customers. I have a non-PUP LR RWD FWIW.

Anyone else running into the same issue? They suggested I reach out to the Tesla referral team to sort it out, which I will do.

On the bright side, I have side-by-side comparisons of ET34 and ET40. The wheel concave from the outside side is identical. On the ET34, they simply added 6mm of material on the inside to make it poke out more for the PUP cars; the lug seats are recessed further in by 6mm to compensate.

Adding a 6mm spacer to the ET40 will make it identical to the ET34 in terms of fitment, with 6mm less thread engagement / protrusion, depending on how you look at it. Most PUP owners using ET40 will add a 5mm spacer as those are readily available.

Non-PUP owners that get a hold of a ET34 wheel set will get "free" 12mm spacers, i.e. they will poke out 12mm more from they OEM 18" Aero or 19" Sport wheels, which would be more or less flush with the fenders. This is due to the additional 6mm offset and 6mm from the increased width of the wheel itself (9" vs 8.5", divided in half).

I am still having assess getting anyone at Tesla to agree that there is an issue with me receiving 2x ET34 and 2x ET40. Any suggestions on who to contact?

Sorry to dig up an old thread. Is there any way to completely safely and reliably get the ET40 Zero G wheels to fit properly on a Performance Model 3? I've seen that maybe using spacers but then I've heard potential negatives to spacers. I want these wheels and found a local set for sale but they're ET40 instead of ET34. Thanks!!!

Also, anyone ever get a true weight on these things? I wonder if they weight less than my Ubers.

Best,
Gene

Sorry to dig up an old thread. Is there any way to completely safely and reliably get the ET40 Zero G wheels to fit properly on a Performance Model 3? I've seen that maybe using spacers but then I've heard potential negatives to spacers. I want these wheels and found a local set for sale but they're ET40 instead of ET34. Thanks!!!

Also, anyone ever get a true weight on these things? I wonder if they weight less than my Ubers.

Best,
Gene
Yes they will fit fine.

Best,
Gene
You don't need spacers. They will fit just fine

You don't need spacers. They will fit just fine
Thank you.

Can you better define fine? I don’t have deep knowledge of offsets etc. Will they fit tighter in on the car or stick out a little? I can’t imagine they will fit as intended with a different offset otherwise what’s the point of the offset.

PS MPP Sport Coilovers sitting in my garage waiting to be put on. :)

Thank you.

Can you better define fine? I don’t have deep knowledge of offsets etc. Will they fit tighter in on the car or stick out a little? I can’t imagine they will fit as intended with a different offset otherwise what’s the point of the offset.

PS MPP Sport Coilovers sitting in my garage waiting to be put on. :)
They are a half an inch wider in other words 12 mm with 6 mm of that outboard, but pulled back in relative to stock OEM offset 5 mm. So the outer lip of the wheel will appear to sit virtually identically to the original turbine Wheels (a virtually invisible or undetectable 1 mm more outboard). They will still clear the front steering knuckle. For people who like a more flush look, probably won't be ideal because the wheel will appear to be slightly tucked in as the stock wheel is. But if you don't like that you can add a 5 mm spacer which solves the problem or alternatively you can get aftermarket rotors from MPP and that adds the 5 mm back in too. Glad to hear you've got the sport coilovers in the on-deck circle. You're going to love them.