Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Zero means Zero - another battery depletion story

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I drove from St. Louis yesterday morning and got home (~230 miles) with only about 5 miles range showing. I was already late for a sword fighting event a few miles away, but I plugged in while I was changing clothes and getting ready. I had 10 miles range showing when I left the house. My destination is an easy (rural roads) 3-4 miles away, and the battery still showed 7-8 miles when I got there, which should've been plenty to get me home. But, for some reason, I decided to leave the key fob in the cup holder in the car, something I normally never do. Apparently, that is enough to keep the car from sleeping and makes it think I'm about to get in and drive which increases the "vampire drain" on the battery. In this case it was enough to take it to zero.

Well, I got news for you. This isn't entirely your fault. Your MS absolutely should have retained that range while while you were at your event. My car sleeps just fine even with the fob inside the car. It DOES NOT measurably increase vampire drain in my experience. I probably would've done the same thing knowing that 7-8 miles was more than enough to get home.

Well, I got news for you. This isn't entirely your fault. Your MS absolutely should have retained that range while while you were at your event. My car sleeps just fine even with the fob inside the car. It DOES NOT measurably increase vampire drain in my experience. I probably would've done the same thing knowing that 7-8 miles was more than enough to get home.
For whatever reason I don't believe vampire drain is linear, or at least the reporting on such range via the guess-o-meter isn't linear. I have also experienced seemingly increased vampire when at lower states of charge, in my case WITHOUT the key fob in the car. In my case we stopped to get some dinner with about 20 miles of range remaining with about 12 miles to the destination, when we came out of the restaurant about an hour or so later rated range had dropped by 6ish miles or so. Luckily we made it to our destination, but I had to run past 0 miles to do it.

So my guess is that the effects of vampire drain get amplified at lower states of charge either because of how loads act on the battery or because of something in the algorithm that determines the rated range indicator, possibly something to do with the operating temperatures of the battery? In any case, letting the car sit at very low states of charge, key fob or no, the effects of the vampire appear to be more severe. But maybe it's just higtened anxiety from running on the edge of the battery that makes it seem that way as well, little from column A, little from column B I'm sure.

Last edited:
Thanks for this story and a few good lessons here.
The lowest I've been is 7 miles range left and that was during a snow storm driving back home through the mountains. We turned off the heat (my wife didn't appreciate that) and made it. I also had scoped out a few L2 chargers on our route so I knew we could stop if we got really low.
I've always told myself that electricity is ubiquitous and in the worst case an hour or two plugged into a 120v outlet would be enough to get somewhere useful. It looks like efusco had that option but felt he didn't need it... a lesson for all of us here.

I agree - when battery is low and you need to cover distance, it's a good idea to take advantage of any available charging opportunity. Kind of like my mother telling the kids - especially my sisters - to always use the restroom at every stop on our road trips :smile:.

Fortunately in the last six months we have had several new superchargers arrive in wintry New England, which makes things a little easier. But at Thanksgiving a year ago I had a challenging drive from Boston to the Adirondacks, chronicled here on the New England subform: Don't try this at home.... I even plugged into a 120v outlet on a 20-minute ferry ride, to help me make it!

Thanks for sharing for the betterment of others, Evan.

I agree that the loss of 7ish miles over the course of a few hours(?) is not vampire drain. I think what's really happening is that the "miles remaining" indicator is just not accurate at very low states of charge, and if sitting for a while at low states of charge the algorithm settles some and cuts off power earlier.

Makes sense, Todd does. Many factors affect the range estimate (which is largely an estimate of when the car will hit a certain voltage level). Was it perhaps cooler when you returned to the car and found it with no range left? Tesla has said there are several other factors, though of course they don't like to detail them for us.

Yes, I was channeling Yoda.

No, I don't know why. But perhaps efusco's disturbing lack of faith in the Musk is why he didn't make it home. After all...

Instead I chose to try to make the 3-4 mile drive home and ultimately pushed on until it completely petered out just 1.5 miles from home.

Do, or do not; there is no try.

Last edited by a moderator:
What is a "jump box" and is this something all Tesla owners should have?
download.jpg
This is what the OP is talking about, it's basically just a 12V battery with and enclosure and some jumper cables. They are handy tools to have but any tow truck worth their salt should have one, or something like it. the OP's situation was worsened because, for whatever reason, the tow trucks jumper cables weren't working to charge up the 12V system that had died along with the main pack. This was the back up.

I do not carry one, but I can see the peace of mind benefit, along with being able to help out other stranded ICE'ers with out having to touch your car's 12V system.

I do carry one that also includes a air compressor. It fits well in the trunk on the drivers side hole. I also carry a tire repair kit. Its just for peace of mind for longer trips with my whole family. Things like that often happens at night out of nowhere...

I do not (did not?) carry the jumper box with me. I have brought it on some longer trips a few times, but more for the air compressor than for the 12v. In this case my house was 1.5miles away so my wife brought it down in her car.
To the point above, I'm pretty convinced that the issue with jumping the 12v was that both clamps were resting on the metal bar that the connection bolts are attached too and that was causing a short. Once I had my box I made sure that the positive clamp was touching nothing but the positive bolt.

If I were to suggest an improvement, it might be to put an insulator pad along that metal edge to prevent incidental contact as I think large clamps would be difficult to attach and not have them sag down and touch the metal.

Note that the metal in front of the red capped bolt (positive terminal connection) is very easy to make contact with when charging with just the nose cone off.
NoseCone1.jpg

Y'all are focusing on the wrong part of this story!

SWORD FIGHTING?!

efusco battles to the death and is only worried about his car battery?! I'm correct in picturing a scene with a samurai sword from The Walking Dead, right?

Please do not let this thread get off topic...we can start a new one in off-topic if you'd like more information...
2015 Bramble Schoole Muster - an album on Flickr <- These are from the day I killed my battery
Collection: Bramble Schoole <-These are from many of the activities I've photographed.

Y'all are focusing on the wrong part of this story!

SWORD FIGHTING?!

efusco battles to the death and is only worried about his car battery?! I'm correct in picturing a scene with a samurai sword from The Walking Dead, right?
It's all fun and games until someone loses any eye! Good thing there was a doctor there contributing to the mayhem!

- - - Updated - - -

If I were to suggest an improvement, it might be to put an insulator pad along that metal edge to prevent incidental contact as I think large clamps would be difficult to attach and not have them sag down and touch the metal.
Possibly cover the area in question with duct tape?