Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Zero" means "Zero" - Caution about Vegas to LA trip!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just a quick question in relation to this.

Driving from around Orange County is about 120 miles to the Tesla SC in Barstow, then around 156mi to Aria Las Vegas.

Do you still have to drive cautiously (in relation to range), even if you have a S/P/+ 85, provided that you could spend about 30mins topping up in Barstow?

Just a quick question in relation to this.

Driving from around Orange County is about 120 miles to the Tesla SC in Barstow, then around 156mi to Aria Las Vegas.

Do you still have to drive cautiously (in relation to range), even if you have a S/P/+ 85, provided that you could spend about 30mins topping up in Barstow?

If you're topped up in Barstow the trip to the Strip should not be an issue, even in a 60. Going back it could be, depending on the wind, which is the problem the OP had.

If you're topped up in Barstow the trip to the Strip should not be an issue, even in a 60. Going back it could be, depending on the wind, which is the problem the OP had.

Is it just that the winds are typically in that direction, or is there any other reason it should be easier in one direction than the other? The elevations of Las Vegas and Barstow are about the same.

When you press the "Show Details" button, it should list the values used to the energy usage estimates for each trip segment. The last two columns are the total up and down elevation changes.

No workie with my iPad with two different browsers, either with details or not. When I copy the titles, it shows the feet up and down exists, but I can't see any data.

Narrative Distance
miles Energy
kWh Wh/mile Segment
miles Speed
mph Segment Energy
kWh Up
feet Down
feet -

No workie with my iPad with two different browsers, either with details or not. When I copy the titles, it shows the feet up and down exists, but I can't see any data.

Narrative Distance
miles Energy
kWh Wh/mile Segment
miles Speed
mph Segment Energy
kWh Up
feet Down
feet -

It works on firefox and safari on macs and Windows, but apparently not on iPads. I can only see up to the Speed column on my Mini in Safari.

Edit: It does work with the Opera Mini browser on the iPad though:

photo.PNG

Last edited:
The touchscreen Nav is getting a software update in a few months to calculate wind speed and direction. Keep Plugshare/Recargo and an RV Park app handy if you are leaving less than 20% margin to 0 range! Glad roadside assistance worked as advertised.

Any mention of elevation / altitude info ?
Even if it's just shows based on your current location, it would be helpful how much elevation gain you have and what to expect going down.

Last edited:
Is it just that the winds are typically in that direction, or is there any other reason it should be easier in one direction than the other? The elevations of Las Vegas and Barstow are about the same.

Winds are often from the W or SW, so pushing from Barstow to LV. They can gust to 50 mph or more and make quite a difference. And if there is snow/cold along the route, it would be even worse. Thus the hope for a SC in Primm, which is about 115 miles from Barstow and within the range TM says they want between SCs.

Hello All. Me and my son (Ben, now 16) put together EVTripPlanner after I picked up my car (12/19/12) and drove it straight to Vegas from the Hawthorne (LA) design center and saw how bad the in-car energy tools were (despite the car being awesome). A few comments on the site and this topic:

* we don't have an iPad and so we don't test on that platform - sorry...but let us know about problems. The in-car browser is actually pretty crappy compatability-wise. Our primary target browser is Chrome. Of course, this is an unpaid project for the benefit of Tesla owners, so we just do what we can. Email [email protected]

* we tried integrating with live wind data...but wind changes so much over just a few hundred feet and the course of an hour that it didn't make sense to use the numbers. That is why we just show the range of what to expect. Headwinds are a real killer - the only thing you can do is monitor the situation and reduce speed (or follow a trucker...but they won't be happy!)

* elevation data was down for a few days - MapQuest had changed their API and we didn't notice. It should all be working again.

* we have checked the accuracy of our Route Energy Planner and it looks quite good (if you enter the correct speed, of course). At first, we were comparing our predicted Wh/mi to the Trip Meter in the car and thought we were off - but it turns out the value reported in the car under-reports actual consumption quite a bit. See my writeup here. About predicting your speed: Google does a pretty good job with current average speeds on the different segments - most of the time I thought I went faster than Google predicted, I was wrong (on average). The trick is to update the energy plan close to when you're actually travelling.

* I've done the Thousand Oaks-Vegas route 4 times and never had a problem. Have also gone to bay area and beyond 5 times or so without issue (other than a software update glitch that broke supercharging temporarily). You just can't cut it too close if you don't like that kind of avoidable stress. I generally charge to whatever EVTripPlanner says and add 30 miles or so. If it looks like you're using up too many miles, just slow down a little.

* we figured out a way to do in-car updates while you're on the road, but since the browser doesn't support location (duh!) and Tesla hasn't opened up an API, the only way we could do it was with the Tracker - what a Rube Goldberg machine that would be. The Tracker runs on your PC right now (not our server), since we don't want to collect/save your login to the Tesla web site. Anyway, we figured that Tesla would integrate Energy planning and Nav pretty soon (double duh!).

* I've done the Thousand Oaks-Vegas route 4 times and never had a problem. Have also gone to bay area and beyond 5 times or so without issue (other than a software update glitch that broke supercharging temporarily). You just can't cut it too close if you don't like that kind of avoidable stress. I generally charge to whatever EVTripPlanner says and add 30 miles or so. If it looks like you're using up too many miles, just slow down a little.

Hi Cliff, I really like the trip planner! Very cool! I see the energy used for each leg of the trip, but I am not seeing where it says to charge, though.

Also, it said that your car is a P85. You may have had more difficulty if it was a 60 making those trips.

Michael

Last edited:
Hello All. Me and my son (Ben, now 16) put together EVTripPlanner after I picked up my car (12/19/12) and drove it straight to Vegas from the Hawthorne (LA) design center and saw how bad the in-car energy tools were (despite the car being awesome). A few comments on the site and this topic:

* we tried integrating with live wind data...but wind changes so much over just a few hundred feet and the course of an hour that it didn't make sense to use the numbers. That is why we just show the range of what to expect. Headwinds are a real killer - the only thing you can do is monitor the situation and reduce speed (or follow a trucker...but they won't be happy!)
* we have checked the accuracy of our Route Energy Planner and it looks quite good (if you enter the correct speed, of course). ...

I've checked your predictions against the actual numbers on the Boulder, CO to Pagosa Springs, CO route that I do a lot. Your numbers look very accurate. Thank you soooo much for doing all to the hard work that it takes to put something like this together.

I completely agree with you that wind and speed are huge components in the range issue. Most people don't realize how strong these effects are. For example, changing your airspeed from 55 to 77 mph doubles the loss to aerodynamic drag!

Thanks again! :smile:

I don't think I'd try the Vegas trip in a 60 myself...not much of that kind of a thrill-seeker!
We don't tell you when/where to charge since we don't know/ask your initial charge level. We started work on a version that shows charging stations and could do 'least time' or 'least cost' type routing at http://evtripplanner.com/planner/mapview_alpha/?id=lne , but have discontinued work on this version for the moment. I expect Tesla will integrate Nav, Energy Planning, Charger database eventually...