Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Zero Motorcycles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Watch out for Margie guys, she had macular degegeration, I have have had more than a few active patients mowed down or catapulted over hood at the very last possible moment,
painful lengthy rehab. Wear orange and yellow, buy LED-lit kevlars with spinal protectors and titanium plating, etc.
lady-driver.jpg

Interesting. My son is almost 5 and getting pretty good on his Oset. I've been thinking of picking up a dirt bike to start riding with him. I've been looking at the Alta (will wait until they are shipping before putting my money down :p) but for the same money the DSR looks interesting. I don't expect to be doing full on motocross, just trail riding.

Watch out for Margie guys, she had macular degegeration,

I worry more about little texting Heather in her brand new 6000lbs SUV, bought by her father for her 16th birthday to keep his precious darling safe. At least Margie will be driving 15 under the limit at all times, and will be staring straight ahead, that is at least one direction she is covering ...

That said I like what ZERO is doing. Solid little steps, both growth- and technologywise, no wild and wonderful experiments. Now it is time for an electric cruiser, in the same class as a Harley 883. No new motor and controller needed for that, which you would need for a halfway competitive sportbike.

For those interested:

http://www.aerostich.com/blog/zero-below-zero/

Aerostich (owned by a family friend) is a motorcycle equipment company out of Duluth, MN. They do lots of rider gear, custom stuff, and etc.

Anyway, they got their hands on a Zero FX electric motorcycle. It was given to them by Zero under the assumption that they ride it everyday in Duluth during the winter and blog/write about it. So the above link is to their blog about their experiences. Enjoy!

Reactions: Xenoilphobe
For those interested:

http://www.aerostich.com/blog/zero-below-zero/

Aerostich (owned by a family friend) is a motorcycle equipment company out of Duluth, MN. They do lots of rider gear, custom stuff, and etc.

Anyway, they got their hands on a Zero FX electric motorcycle. It was given to them by Zero under the assumption that they ride it everyday in Duluth during the winter and blog/write about it. So the above link is to their blog about their experiences. Enjoy!
Thanks for the link. Aerostich is a very well respected brand in the motorcycle touring and off road community, I am pretty familiar with the brand from long years I spent on advrider.com. That said, there is no way I would want to ride a motorcycle in real winter weather like they seem to have in Minnesota. Just cold, but with bright sunshine and dry roads is one thing, but wet or ice-glazed roads, salty slush and hard packed snow is quite another thing. :frown: No thanks.

Wow, congrats. You are going to love it.

I have the smallest model they ever made (XU) and it was hopeless trying to get it into my S with the back seats folded down. I looked into a trailer hitch but it's right at the Torqlift weight limit, and I didn't want to chance it since it's not sanctioned by Tesla. But at least with the X you should have that option as a last resort.

Reactions: Snerruc
Wow, congrats. You are going to love it.

I have the smallest model they ever made (XU) and it was hopeless trying to get it into my S with the back seats folded down. I looked into a trailer hitch but it's right at the Torqlift weight limit, and I didn't want to chance it since it's not sanctioned by Tesla. But at least with the X you should have that option as a last resort.
Thanks. I ended up towing my old Honda CB 900F on a uhaul motorcycle trailer from my old house to the one and only local dealer. Was very easy to do!

Also my purchase experience was great. Since I've worked with that dealer before to have Zero come up to Vancouver to display at VEVA's electrafest I knew them. And I came will all the knowledge about owning electric so that made it very easy for them.

I followed up on a 13 FX with the big battery and near zero miles a few months ago.... There was a problem with a lost title. They just txt'd me with a pic of the title that came in. The thing literally has been sitting in this dude's garage for four years plugged in and not driven. It could be a smoking deal for someone. PM if interested and I will provide contact details. It may also be on Craig's list by now in the Ft. Lauderdale area (and no, its not a scam - I've seen the bike and it is real).

Looking forward to picking up my new April 2017 Zero S 13.0 build tomorrow! My delivery rep mentioned this important update so I thought I'd let you know too.

Important Charging Recommendations Update FOR 2013 and Newer Zero Motorcycles (Note: doesn't apply for 2012 and older)

I did a quick summary below for quick reading/refresher. Full details here.
  • Once charged they no longer recommend keeping it plugged in to help maximize the performance and longevity of the Z-Force® Power Packs
    • based on a wealth of real-world power pack performance data and insights from the power pack cell provider.
  • Zero is now recommending that owners do not keep their motorcycles plugged into an AC power source once charged.
  • NEW CHARGING RECOMMENDATIONS
    • REGULAR USE: Recharge & disconnect (plug in monthly to top back up and a few hours prior to a ride)
    • LONG-TERM STORAGE (more than 30 days): Store unplugged at ~ 60% state of charge, charge back to ~ 60% once below 30%. Plug in 24 hours to balance prior to ride
    • Never store below 30% state of charge.

I can't seem to find any detailed info on regen on Zero's website. I think you can program for a lot but how is it activated? I would assume as you close the throttle it comes on, but can you ramp up to max with the throttle being twisted the opposite direction? I hope it isn't the old two stage where you have a set level of regen with throttle closed and a higher level when your brake light comes on from applying the brakes. Thanks for any info.

Thank you for your reply. How is regen applied? What I think would be perfect is if the twist throttle had 2 potentiometers, from a resting position twist downward for "go" (like all motorcycles) and for regen return to resting position and start twisting upward for linear, controlled regen braking. Or do they use what is typical for EVs, one fixed level of regen when throttle is released then another higher fixed level for when the brake light is activated.

you set the level of regen in the app and then "feather" the throttle to get the level of regen you want up to the preset amount you set in the APP. There is no GO and REGEN Potentiometers - so I would say its more Standard EV, but I have not issues controlling, in fact I have a lot more control than the ICE drivers.

So you feather between whatever regen level you programmed and no regen? I can see on pavement programming for max regen might be a bit jerky but no tire skid. If I buy I would want to ride dirt too, so since regen is an on-off proposition and not linear, I would probably have to program a lower regen level to keep from skidding. Bummer.

Super old post - but...

I bought a Zero SR/F yesterday. I have done a couple of rides on it. It hurts me to say I rode it over my two strokes this Saturday afternoon. It is easy to see that ICE motorcycles will die. The battery is the only hold up.

It is quiet smoot fun - handles great - feels light - great suspension and brakes. It is a great commuter or short ride fun bike.

The weirdest thing - it is my first American motorcycle.

Reactions: Cheburashka