Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Zero:Net - The UK's open Charging Network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
113 locations live today :smile:

ZeroNet_3_July_2012_113_Locations.png

must be satisfying that your vision is so well recieved by the users ;-)
wish your succes keeps going on!
With your help the UK is going EV-ready the way users are able to use it! ;-)
Curious if it will evolve the same way on the other side of the chunnel!

Curious if it will evolve the same way on the other side of the chunnel!
Everything I hear tells me that the French are committed to the EV and Renault have some sizeable sales to the French Government and state owned industries.

In the longer term I'm not sure whether charging will remain 'open' in Europe... it seems such an obvious target for a Government cash grab, selling off charging regions in a bidding war similar to the wireless spectrum sales to the mobile phone operators. Sometimes I wonder if that's what the early commercial EV charging network operators are banking on because they would be compensated for any pre-sale nationalisation....

A 25 hour trip with 3 charging stops in a Vauxhall Ampera. :confused:

JRP3, I have to admit that not only the headline is misleading :redface:. The complete article doesn't mention that the Ampera is a hybrid. They could have done the trip all at once within 6-8 hours in "petrol mode". Recharging 3 times means, they used the electric range 4 times. With careful driving that would make for half of the 390 miles. I don't see the point, tough.

A 25 hour trip with 3 charging stops in a Vauxhall Ampera. :confused:
Actually this was part of a ~1000 mile trip from London to Cumbria and back, via Dartmoor. The two guys involved intended to do the majority of the trip on electricity using public Charging Stations. After one successful charge and three charging failures they gave up when the final Charging Station would not release the £250 Type 2 cables and the drivers had to leave it behind. Fortunately, the overnight stops at Zero:Net locations worked as expected.

A full account of the journey will be published today but you can watch some of the public charging fiasco here

Here's a link to the 1000 mile Ampera trip

Last edited:
Yeah - an interesting exercise in charge point testing but not something you want to shout about in the newspapers.
I think we need transparency in this industry so that people learn to deliver reliable charging... pretending that everything is OK will not deliver transition. I cannot recommend any mainstream buyers purchase pure-BEV in the UK today if they must depend on public charging.