Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Zero phone lock/unlock issue in the last 2 days

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I remember reading a thread about the car not detecting the phone when walking up. I picked up my car 2 days now and had 0 issue with it. It works every single time and I thought maybe there is a small chance that some of you might not doing this correctly and that's why it's not unlocking the car for you.

Here is what I have learned:
1. If I walk up to my car and my phone is locked, the car won't let me open the door. This is a good security feature (e.g., If someone steals my phone, they can't drive my car away)
2. What I typically do is as I approach the car I will unlock my phone then the car will work every single time. I always have Bluetooth, internet and gps turned on (assuming the car need to know that you are nearby and not some fake/random Bluetooth signal). I haven't tried having just Bluetooth on will make a difference or not.

I'm currently using a Samsung s8 with the latest 2018.26.1 update.
I haven't tried this but I'm thinking that I can set my model 3 as a trusted device on my s8 so that it will unlock my phone automatically when I'm near the car. If this works, I will never need to unlock my phone before hand anymore. I will do some testings and report back later.

So for those that have issue unlocking the car, were your phone lock or unlocked?

Last edited:
I'm on an older version, 21.9, but my experience is either it will unlock on its own when I approach the car (auto unlock) or I have to unlock my phone first. So it's an either/or situation for me. That said, I have not had the issue where I have to disable/enable the BT radio in order for it to work as of late, so that's good.

If they started making it standard to unlock your phone to unlock the car, I'd be ok with that.

I leave my iPhone X in my pocket. As soon as I grab handle or grab trunk release , it unlocks. Walk away, phone still in pocket, car locks, mirrors fold. Only time need to touch phone is to open frunk. No issues since January delivery.
Works fine on my Galaxy S7 Edge phone too. I'm curious how widespread the issue is. On this forum it seems like it's very widespread, but people who have problems will have a much bigger voice than those who don't have problems.

Reactions: Watts 4 Me
You should definitely bring the card as a backup. What if you lose your phone? Or you have an emergency valet situation?
In nearly 10 years of owning one I've never lost my iPhone. Ever. What if I lose my wallet? Again. I've lost a few of those in that same 10 years (although one did turn up again 3 months later).

EDIT: I've also lost a couple fobs in that time but somehow at home, as far as I was able to tell. o_O

I have the vague recollection that those card fobs aren't cheap to replace?

Last edited:
Reactions: Runt8
With my Android phone its often a hit or miss. Sometimes I can be right next to my M3 and it won't unlock. I'd have to go into the Tesla app and have the app wake the car before it unlocks. By my estimation, it happens about 15-20% of the time.

In nearly 10 years of owning one I've never lost my iPhone. Ever. What if I lose my wallet? Again. I've lost a few of those in that same 10 years (although one did turn up again 3 months later).

I have the vague recollection that those card fobs aren't cheap to replace?

Reports so far are suggesting first replacement to be $5.

Model 3 key card replacement cost | Tesla

• Informative
Reactions: ℬête Noire
They were $10 each when I got 2 spare cards from my local service center a few weeks back. My wife and I are always carrying one and I have spares at home should I ever need them.

According to the website with the new MyTesla information for the Model 3, they should be $5. I'm not sure if there is another hidden pricing scheme, but if you care about the price differential I think you're entitled to $10 back.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-07-25 at 2.15.37 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-07-25 at 2.15.37 PM.png
    376.9 KB · Views: 87
According to the website with the new MyTesla information for the Model 3, they should be $5. I'm not sure if there is another hidden pricing scheme, but if you care about the price differential I think you're entitled to $10 back.

Maybe because mine were not replacements, they were in addition to the two key cards I already had. So now I have four key cards that can be used with my Model 3. Maybe it's only $5 if it's a replacement? Either way I don't really care, Tesla can keep my extra $10, they need the money so they don't go bankwupt! :p

• Funny
Reactions: Rountad
1. If I walk up to my car and my phone is locked, the car won't let me open the door. This is a good security feature (e.g., If someone steals my phone, they can't drive my car away)
It seems like this means that the phone key isn't working correctly (or is this an option you can change?). Ideally (IMO) you shouldn't have to take your phone out of your pocket for the car to unlock.