Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Zero Regeneration Braking!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone with a late 2018 MX have zero regeneration braking? The regen breaking used to be really great and now it's non-existent! I am on 2020.8.1.

Is the total loss of regen break due to software or something with the hardware, am trying to determine whether it's worth the hassle of trying to take it to the SC when they open up.

You "no re-gen" folks have Re-Gen set to low? Or has it been cold, the battery not heated up and the re-gen energy display show a dotted yellow line in the lower part?
Or did you charge to (close to) 100% SoC?

In all 3 cases, Re-gen is indeed reduced. At 100% SoC almost completely disabled because "where should the charge go? Can't go into the battery because it's full already.

I have the same firmware version and it re-gens like a champ (when the battery is warmed up of course).

Does anyone with a late 2018 MX have zero regeneration braking? The regen breaking used to be really great and now it's non-existent! I am on 2020.8.1.

Is the total loss of regen break due to software or something with the hardware, am trying to determine whether it's worth the hassle of trying to take it to the SC when they open up.

Yes! December 2018 MX here and I cannot tell the difference between regen or no regen setting at highway speeds.

When I let off the gas at highway speeds there is no regen and the brake lights don't come on (on the display).

Regen seems to be noticeable only below 40mph.

And, fun fact, without the regen a Telsa doesn't even really slow down when one lets off the brakes like an ICE car. If you are going, say, 80mph on the highway and want to let off the accelerator to move to a slower lane, you actually have to brake whereas in an ICE car the transmission will slow the car enough to ease over into the slower lane.

My Tesla scared the crap out of me the other day as it behaved completely differently on the highway when I was expecting regen and there was none.

I have used my brakes more in the last month than I have in the entire year+ I've owned my Tesla.

I want my regen back! I'm on 2020.12.1

My mind stubbornly refuses to believe that Tesla would make such a mistake by crippling re-gen in 2020.8.x and/or 2020.12.x
(assuming battery is not cold and the battery is not charged over 97% as those conditions practically disable re-gen for obvious reasons)

Then there are folks saying 2020.8.x introduced sucky re-gen (my car is fine with the same version) and say that 2020.12.x is much better than 2020.8.x
At the same time, others say it‘s exactly the reverse.

The discrepancy is so large, I smell bullpoop...

Last edited:
When I let off the gas at highway speeds there is no regen and the brake lights don't come on (on the display).
That is normal. When releasing the go-pedal at highway speeds, the max. 80-ish kW that an MX can produce while re-genning, is not enough to slow the vehicle down to such an extent yet, that the computer activate the brake-lights. An ICE doesn‘t either by tne way. It would startle folks behind you.

Once the car slows down enough (measured by the accelerometer), the computer actives the brake-lights even when the brake-pedal has not been touched yet. Through this, the car emulates a „soft braking action“ from medium to slow speeds.

My mind stubbornly refuses to believe that Tesla would make such a mistake by crippling re-gen in 2020.8.x and/or 2020.12.x
(assuming battery is not cold and the battery is not charged over 97% as those conditions practically disable re-gen for obvious reasons)

Then there are folks saying 2020.8.x introduced sucky re-gen (my car is fine with the same version) and say that 2020.12.x is much better than 2020.8.x
At the same time, others say it‘s exactly the reverse.

The discrepancy is so large, I smell bullpoop...

Call it what you will, but I know the ins and outs of how and why the Tesla performs under different conditions. I also live in Arizona, and it’s typically between 50 and 60 degrees F in the morning here, which I paid close attention to. I experienced a dotted yellow line calling out reduced regen, regardless of temperature or charge level on 2020.8, and it has now dissipated. Tesla’s have been known to have varied outputs with software affecting different iterations of their vehicles, and my sense is that that is exactly what’s going on here, and not a line of bullshit from Tesla owners.

You "no re-gen" folks have Re-Gen set to low? Or has it been cold, the battery not heated up and the re-gen energy display show a dotted yellow line in the lower part?

In all 3 cases, Re-gen is indeed reduced. At 100% SoC almost completely disabled because "where should the charge go? Can't go into the battery because it's full already.

I have the same firmware version and it re-gens like a champ (when the battery is warmed up of course).

Yours is 2020 MX, mine is late 2018.

Reactions: jet44

I’m “no-regen” folk and it’s set to “standard”
It’s not cold in Texas...ever
I charge to 80 percent, on the same firmware but I’m not a 2020 X