Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Zextraterrestials S (tory)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You've got one of the finest woodworking schools in the USA in your backyard at College of the Redwoods in Fort Bragg, CA. They should have a hardword lumber source nearby that stocks nearly every species.

Cool, I didn't know the CR campus there had a wood working program. I took some fun classes at CR in Eureka before going back for E.R.E at HSU.
I took a wood shop class at HSU so I could make a large freestanding butchers block for our kitchen, well worth it!

We get most of our hardwoods from Almquist lumber in Arcata. pretty awesome selection of exotics. (but currently no lacewood ;<

.... Tinted windows look pretty sick. I went to Auto Image since they had great reviews an opted to not do my own tint for once. $375 is decent for 9 windows (some tiny ones)
I think I got 20% for the front sides and 50% for the all of the rears.

Managed to add a sub panel with a 50A (for EV) and 40A( for AC) 240V + a 14-50 outlet and 30 feet of 8 ga wire for 120$. Good to go in LA hills!

Last edited:
Just saw the grey with performance wheels in person. Looks amazing. Didn't notice that the performance versions were coming with black lug nuts on the wheels thought, I have the performance wheels but silver ones.

Windows are tinted ! 20 / 50
DSC006701.jpg

DSC006721.jpg

I just took a drive up Page Mill to Skyline ...sneaking up on bikers :wink:.
fun curvy road. we used to drive up that road way too fast. Joules could take it like a whore but I didn't push her and just had a mello cruise. Beautiful weather after 'floods' yesterday (didn't know a paltry 2" of rain does that. huh, I expect this place to be screwed when It really rains.)

here is my (still unfinished) zipper pull for my jacket. Should be done later tonight
DSC006741.jpg
and...
DSC006791.jpg

Booyeah. Jacket is operational once again + much cooler!
DSC006811.jpg

Actually, I should make a better Jacket for a zipper pull like this!

Last edited:
2200 miles ++

I'm at 2200 miles and lovin' every minute! Driving the 310 miles back and forth to the Bay Area is much nicer when you stop for 3-4 hours during the 6 hour drive to enjoy excellent food and sit by a nice fireplace while sipping a glass of wine!
The dogs have way more space in the S than they did in my former Rav4 and there were no problems whatsoever with the dogs in an S.

The only bad thing that happened.... ;<
We now have 4 racoons instead of chickens : (
a little strange and disappointing but interesting. Our oldest chicken showed up in our yard in 2006 - on Christmas. and she was eaten on Christmas (or very close to it) 6 years later :scared: . The other 3 chickens were younger by a few years. Our chicken coop had a mother coon (older) and 3 juvenile coons in the place of our chickens when we arrived home last night!
Coincidence? a little strange

I also saw my first Karma in person. does 'look' better in person but waaay small, spacewise.

I'm almost ready for another road trip ; >

12/30 took a couple of disc golfers for a 'ride' Veeery impressed. One of them knew a bit about the car and has been excited for a while, the other knew nothing (both of them are probably w/in the top 1000 disc golfers in the world, or better!). The one that knew about the car asked 'how fast is it at 0-60?' I had just stopped at a stop sign w/ no other cars around. I held up my 4 fingers, then floored it, it was perfect!! I also liked the question about the brakes, we were going 45-50ish and I checked to make sure no one was sitting wrong before trying to pull their eyes from their skulls :wink: fun, fun

1/2/13......Speeding Ticket... Ouch 45 in a 35mph zone! should help to lower my average Whr/mi.
No questions about the car. Lame. I should have said my DL was in the 'trunk' just to confuse the officer. He had no idea what it was and didn't care. No bondo or rust, it must just be a new car.

1/5/13 Collecting Jade and Agates at Stone lagoon
14.JPG

1/9/13 She finally got to have some snow play. hmm, where is that fuse?:cool:
Snow.. just floor it and steer. pretty neat. car just goes where you point it. try and get squirrelly and I think the fronts correct you
DSC007101.jpg

1/16/13
3300 miles

1/23/13
Down to the Bay area and home again, just shy of 4000 miles!
1 more factory tour :love: tires rotated :eek: and new driver's door handle (of course it worked fine on the way down and when I took it in)

the 300 mile trip down took ~ 10 hrs (309.3 mi, 106.2 kWhr) but I managed to get back in about 8 hrs (310mi, 97.3 kWhr - tricky, tricky)
I think I can do it better but it is tough to drive slowww. however, I know it is faster when there is only 14-50's to use on the way + they are free regardless so I really don't care + I can't get a ticket like this!
I did use a lot more power in the last 55mi home due to 'plenty of it'!

(up to about the 80 on the x-axis it was ideal miles for SOC - i plan on converting it, someday)
untitled.JPG

She got her tramp stamp.
IMG_0062.jpg

Last edited:
It's been a couple of more weeks
over 250 separate 'trips' recorded
you can see when I wash my car - drying it quickly involves going very fast for ~ 1 mile, that spikes to over 1 kWhr/mile if I can do it right :scared: the first one was weak
untitled.JPG

x-axis in miles now

she's still amazing

2/8/12
did some elevation + airspeed data logging today. airspeed was messed up due to the pitot placement but it should work on the front of the S
here is elevation from Eureka to Klamath:
elev to Klamath.jpg

I think it should help refine my data a little and see what the car really does wrt to airspeed and elevation. hehe, nerdy. Time to go play some Disc Golf!

2/10/13 had her up to 132 for 1/2 mile or so ( 1 passenger). just wouldn't hit that last # before traffic was 'approaching' :cool:

Last edited:
>5000 miles

Passed the 5000 mile mark this weekend
here are some data points of all my trips

untitled.JPG

untitled.JPG

my wife likes to go for drives now. Yesterday she complained that we were at our destination too quickly (even though it was a brewery! :tongue:)

Car is awesome. Picked up 5m of leds to add some junk to the frunk/trunk + a LCD display for elevation and airspeed so I can wire in the pitot and have a display in the car. Pics soonish

Closing Frunk:
At first I didn't like the 2 hand method because - how do you carry things and close the frunk??

butt close it! (as long as you have no metal/ scratchy things on your rear)
one hand on a corner and knee/butt/hip on the other works pretty nicely and I can carry stuff without setting it on the wet ground
(I use a gentle knee if it is wet)

2/20/13 Cable sales person came to the house while I had my frunk open and was working on putting in the airspeed sensor and said " You know your hood is open...but, um , there is no engine in your car?" then my wife started telling her about the car. She knew about Nikola but not the new Tesla

Last edited:
There are some hills but the spikes are mostly shorter trips that are very spirited. I'm not really sure how much the Whr/mi for each trip helps without knowing how long each trip was & I haven't thought about how to graph that besides the scatter plot above

For some reason my airspeed isn't working. must remove nose again..facelift
altimeter is pertty accurate but starts at 0, which is perfect for my purpose!

There are some hills but the spikes are mostly shorter trips that are very spirited. I'm not really sure how much the Whr/mi for each trip helps without knowing how long each trip was & I haven't thought about how to graph that besides the scatter plot above

For some reason my airspeed isn't working. must remove nose again..facelift
altimeter is pertty accurate but starts at 0, which is perfect for my purpose!

Are you going for the IFR licence in your TESLA? :-D

Wet / slippery 0-60 ~ 4.75s

I've been messing w/ the ipod g sensors to get some 0-60 checks

here is a wet one:
untitled.JPG

she was definitely trying to spin a little for the first 0-40

I think this was dry but not very good. I was distracted trying to hit the record button and watching my rearview mirror before hitting the 'go'
untitled1.JPG

I think there was bit of a a bump around 40 mph ~ 2.75 seconds & the wheels may have spun a bit. ( near 4 s on the accelerometers)
untitled2.JPG

did a run again and at exactly 2.75s when I hit 40 mph & max torque area I get some slip that messes up my run
untitle.JPG

still hit 4.3 or so w/ pretty crappy roads

0.74 g's of forwards acceleration is what I've seen for a max between 0.75s and 3 seconds (logging at 4hz)

Last edited:
I just tried the 'g-tac' free app for apple. It gave me a 4.37 0-60 this morning leaving my house. that app has 0-100-0 and some other stuff to + you can set it, then it records when you start moving. much easier than the other g app.

This weekend I went camping in my car for the first time. Pretty Sweeet!
took the 21"s up a long dirt road is Southern Humboldt

2 doggy beds from Costco were super comfy + the dogs will be happy to get new beds now that I'm done with them :tongue:
It was really nice to get up in the middle of the night to 'relieve myself' and kick the heater on for a couple of minutes.

untitled.JPG

still seeing the same numbers on my charges ~ 268-69 settling to 265 after 5-8 hrs for range charge (but the first 2-3 miles of driving doesn't change the rated #!) and 242 settling at 238-9

Last edited:
I
Which camera(s) are you using? Thanks.
Other people were filming me. I hope they send me something soon or post the videos I am anxious. The autocross was fun. I think I have a chance at kicking some ass with a little practice and add some new tires

20130413_1348291.JPG

trying to apex on the cone at front left of car at the end of a spiral curve before really tight right turn

no videos I have found yet but haven't spoken w/ any of the autox ladies that had cameras running

Last edited: