Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Zextraterrestials S (tory)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bees

We did a roadtrip last weekend to Windsor/ Sebastopol and Bodega Bay. This was the first roadtrip under 300 miles in 1 day so speeds were only constrained by CHP and road curves.

Main purpose of the trip -

to fill this up
hive 1.JPG

with these bees :smile:
bee box.JPG

inside, after bees let the queen out (looking through little plex window)
hive in.JPG

looking in yesterday the bee 'pile' is all separated out into rows and they have already started 5 or 6 rows of comb with chains of bees hanging from them
pretty neat creatures. very interesting

did see a Canadian sig in Humboldt and a blue perf S in Windsor. Both charging in spots I would have used if I could. Fortunately the Humboldt location (which I needed if i didn't want to slow down to ~60 mph for the last 70 miles) has an RV park too + it isn't peak season yet otherwise I'm not sure I'd have been able to charge for 1/2 hr

Last edited:
wow!

Less than 1 week
We put the queen and colony of bees in a new box on Sunday night and closed the box until Tuesday morning. on Friday afternoon this I what they had done already (night vision through plex window)
these girls work fast!
I'm guessing the comb was~ 6 inches long in the middle and it looks like 5 panels of comb started
comb2.jpeg

Last edited:
Bees are cool! :smile: this is what they have done after just a little over 2 weeks. and I got a picture of the queen!
queen.jpg

I drove over the hill to Redding and back pretty fun on 299, think I might have scared a few people passing them, kinda scared myself a little almost

my energy usage is going way down due to my tires being replaced tomorrow + the warm temps
Untitled.jpg
good thing since summer power is stupid expensive in CA. time for a few solar panels :wink:

Finally decided on a set of autoX wheels and tires, at least until the tires are gone :wink:

MRR GT-1 19X8.5/9.5 for $1200
and Potenza RE-11 245/40 & 275/30 -$1124
mounting & balance free

I am wondering how much the difference will be in speed/ acceleration the Hankooks that i have now and the Conti's on the 21's are both ~ 750 Rev/mi and the 275mm is 800
about 6% difference unless I'm reaally tired.

Can't wait till next weekend autocross. It will be my first official autocross for points.

The tires came today and wheels should arrive tomorrow. Pretty sticky, 180 tread

Last edited:
So, the weekend is over...

I got my new wheel set on friday night and tested them out for just about 10 miles. The speed difference is 4 mph at 36mph showing faster on the dash. They are definitely smaller diameter rears but I think it will be fun for autoX. I need to turn off TC because the car thinks it is losing traction and keeps flashing TC unless I park then start driving again and it seems to fix itself. Well, I only drove for a few miles with these to test the cornering, which was awesome~! then when I put the 21"s back on I had some weird regen behavior for a couple of trips then it was normal again.
I showed my car at a car show on Saturday morning and got 'Most Unique', 'Best Modern', and 'Car we'd most like to drive' awards. It was a 2 seat sports car show put on by a couple of local clubs and there weren't very many 21c cars present
Drag race later Saturday night with timing and lights.. Did 12.645 on Hankook V12s. was still slipping quite a bit but it was a much faster strip than the first time I tried it.

No one beat me this time.

the car is much faster in the first 0-40 mph with stickier tires, the track is a little slippery, I plan on seeing what the RE11's do the 1/4 in during the next street legal race night

this was last nights #'s (my second time drag run ever w/lights):
drag.JPG

I think runs use around 1 kW per run without much regen at the end

first run was about the same (12.7) but I didn't really know how to do the timing and had .499 RT since I hit it closer to green
It was fun toasting a 60's supercharged Chevelle with Hoosier drag tires!

Last edited:
Autocross!

and my cool racing green ...rock protection.
IMG_0370.JPG

The new tires are much better than the stock but they wont last too long :wink: 180 treadwear on a heavy car.
There was an older gentleman running a brand new M3. fortunately I beat him by a second ( not that it really matters. we were both stoked to get under 1:00 times! ) I did a 58.93s and the Top time was a 53.67s. Much closer to him than the first time.

this run was with TC off. My faster runs were with it on.
time didn't start until you come out of the first corner through the timer but I hit a cone before the time started in this run(you can see the guy run to pick it up), and I was going suuuuper slow!! big car

This was the first run I tried without TC on. I was cruising and totally misses the double wide slalom...so i backed over the cone
no DNF's for me :tongue:

And here is my first run of the day with TC on, from a different angle of the course

each run was using 1.3 kWhr @ ~1800 Whr /mi ~.6 mile course

Last edited by a moderator:
This was the first run I tried without TC on. I was cruising and totally misses the double wide slalom...so i backed over the cone
no DNF's for me :tongue:
Heh. Lot of variation in the rules. It's funny what kind of behavior some of them motivate.

About to miss a gate? Clobber the cone. Great for your score. Bad for the course and fellow drivers. Incenting the wrong behavior.

Zex, I see that you have staggered tires sizes in the 19's. How has that impacted the handling?

It is Awesome! Still could use wider wheels and tires though. I think 9" front and 10" rear with 255 / 295 would be the best.
I bought 8.5"/9.5" with 245 and 275 RE-11's and the rears are only 30 series so they are a little smaller diameter.

I'd love to have tires like that for daily use. they are pretty quiet and sticky.

here is one from Sunday:
track was reversed a bit with a couple of changes from the Saturday setup

and another run from Sunday

I just signed up for a hillclimb!
http://www.rscc.net/pdf/Hoopa_2013_Brochure.pdf

Should be fun? :cool:
looks a little 'scary'
-look it up on youtube

...I went to check out the hill and drove most of it really slow, except one straightish spot where I floored it up to ~ 80+ to see how much speed I might be getting to and ...hit a bird! :crying: poor little thing didn't hear me coming. right below my nearside headlight wham! It pushed the plastic hard enough to pop the rear corner of the bumper up (where the 1/4 panel meets the light and hood and bumper) Time to play my music louder I quess ;>

This last vid is marked as "private."

oops, fixed...

Here is a Saturday run. Tried to push the speed a bit much on the far side and hit a couple of cones,
Sundays course was longer and in the other direction + a tiny bit more fun I thought

did notice considerable brake fade after Sunday runs, crossing the finish at high speed it felt hard to stop from ~60+
but there were 5 hard braking points from close to 60 mph in a 73 second run...maybe I need lighter drilled rotors? + some better suspension ;>

TESLOVE was fun!
We had the pleasure of giving Stevezzzzzzzzz a ride through the curvies and Georgianna (wine toaster:smile:) a ride back to the hotel on the Sunday drive.
I had my helmet signed by Leilani, kick some ass girl! (and don't get too many tickets in the S:tongue:)
photo.JPG

and met a lot of pretty cool people.
Hella fun weekend, wasn't sure what to expect but the excitement of most of the people was purely awesome. It was really totally awesome (to be a proper '80's Californian) to be speaking with people from this place, in person, and have a flipped over name tag then turn it over to introduce yourself to complete excitement! everyone I met was really neat and I could probably have hung out there for a couple of weeks ..and designed a few cars and some other stuff.... to take over the world...Pinky

photo(1).JPG

Fire suppression device mounted. Hill climb this weekend! .... getting a little 'nervous'.

Last edited: