Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Zextraterrestials S (tory)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
September autocross-
Finally let someone else drive my car for a couple of fun runs
This was the lap from the fastest driver in the area. I am usually ~3 seconds from his time in his STS Miata
I was a couple of tenths faster. It was pretty amazing being driven by him in my car I didn't see where he could have been much faster except in the turnaround before the run towards the finish where he was hoping for a little less stability control

+ I got to try a P85D for 1 run also...I was 4 seconds slower than in my car! tires, tires, tires
All seasons are sliiipery!! holy cow. AWD is pretty tricky too especially without being able to turn off TC and with the electric brakes I don't think I can race drive with 2 feet, doesn't seem to work the same.

WK057's P90++ would be so amazing (assuming you can turn off TC in the software version that is being run on it)....anyone want to fund me?

Hello! I currently have a 2015 WRX with RE71R tires that I autocross. I am gettting a Long Range Model 3 hopefully by the end of January '18 fingers crossed. How loud are the RE-71R tires on your Model S compared to PSS? Because I am looking to get summer tires and winter for the M3 and I really want to get the RE-71R but they're super loud on my WRX. Also they were quiet when I put them on until I went to my first auto-cross and scrubbed off some tread. They are SUPER GRIPPY however... I plan to do 2-3 Auto-X a year in the M3 and don't care about being super-competitive. I just know that the RE-71R are even more fun on highway ramps and such. What do you think? Are the PSS sticky enough other than at Auto-X?

Hello! I currently have a 2015 WRX with RE71R tires that I autocross. I am gettting a Long Range Model 3 hopefully by the end of January '18 fingers crossed. How loud are the RE-71R tires on your Model S compared to PSS? Because I am looking to get summer tires and winter for the M3 and I really want to get the RE-71R but they're super loud on my WRX. Also they were quiet when I put them on until I went to my first auto-cross and scrubbed off some tread. They are SUPER GRIPPY however... I plan to do 2-3 Auto-X a year in the M3 and don't care about being super-competitive. I just know that the RE-71R are even more fun on highway ramps and such. What do you think? Are the PSS sticky enough other than at Auto-X?

the RE71Rs are really noisy. I would not like the noise for trips + my range is pretty bad with them. partially because of the staggered set up but mostly the stickyness. I swear I can feel them slowing me down by sticking to the road in addition to regen when I let off the throttle in town. When I switch to my all seasons they are silent and it is really nice but traction confidence is not there.

The PSS were decent but nowhere near as grippy as the RE71Rs. They were reasonably quiet from what I remember. I did Laguna Seca, 2 enduros and 10 autocross days (~70 runs) and ended up with close to 7,000 miles on them total

the RE71Rs are really noisy. I would not like the noise for trips + my range is pretty bad with them. partially because of the staggered set up but mostly the stickyness. I swear I can feel them slowing me down by sticking to the road in addition to regen when I let off the throttle in town. When I switch to my all seasons they are silent and it is really nice but traction confidence is not there.

The PSS were decent but nowhere near as grippy as the RE71Rs. They were reasonably quiet from what I remember. I did Laguna Seca, 2 enduros and 10 autocross days (~70 runs) and ended up with close to 7,000 miles on them total

Yeah I think I'll get the PSS... the RE-71Rs will ruin the quiet of the M3... supposedly people are saying it is quieter than the Model S so I really don't want to screw that up... Did you notice the PSS get much louder after the first 1K miles? Like I had mentioned with the RE-71Rs? That's impressive that you got 70 runs out of them and the rest of that racing. I was thinking even though the PSS are 300TW they would wear faster at Auto-X than the RE-71R's at 200TW because you'll lose grip more often and skid off some tread...

Also I am really at odds over the AWD M3 vs. RWD M3... I don't care about Auto-X as much as daily driving. I think a RWD will be better at Auto-X since AWD tends to push and you can't bring it in. I rented a P85+ for 4 days like a week ago and the PSS tires were almost down to the treads like 5/16 or 6/16. On dry pavement in a straight line if you floored it it would still break loose :( wasn't too happy. I am assuming when you have 50% or more tread on the PSS that it doesn't break traction in the dry in a straight line on flooring it correct? How about in a straight line in wet on fresh PSS? I know the M3 will have less HP/TQ so I think that will really help. Coming from a WRX I hate losing traction and loved the AWD... I just cant justify waiting an additional 6 months and losing tax credit money (fed + $3K MD State).. It may be a $10,000 option then so it's not worth it... Any thoughts on the RWD on fresher tires?

Yeah I think I'll get the PSS... the RE-71Rs will ruin the quiet of the M3... supposedly people are saying it is quieter than the Model S so I really don't want to screw that up... Did you notice the PSS get much louder after the first 1K miles? Like I had mentioned with the RE-71Rs? That's impressive that you got 70 runs out of them and the rest of that racing. I was thinking even though the PSS are 300TW they would wear faster at Auto-X than the RE-71R's at 200TW because you'll lose grip more often and skid off some tread...
I didn't notice the PSS getting louder, maybe a little quieter when they broke in. I drove 400+ freeway miles when they were new and then ran at Laguna Seca on them and drove back. The PSS ended up getting some smaller chunks out of the edges of the tires, the local M3 had the same issues with the PSS but even worse than what I saw. I think he pretty much only drives the M3 for autocross though.
The RE 71Rs seem to wear pretty good but rather quickly. not sure how much the 5000 lb car contributes? this was what a front looked like after 1 enduro race + drive there and back...pretty much smeared to the wear bar
tire2.JPG

Also I am really at odds over the AWD M3 vs. RWD M3... I don't care about Auto-X as much as daily driving. I think a RWD will be better at Auto-X since AWD tends to push and you can't bring it in. I rented a P85+ for 4 days like a week ago and the PSS tires were almost down to the treads like 5/16 or 6/16. On dry pavement in a straight line if you floored it it would still break loose :( wasn't too happy. I am assuming when you have 50% or more tread on the PSS that it doesn't break traction in the dry in a straight line on flooring it correct? How about in a straight line in wet on fresh PSS? I know the M3 will have less HP/TQ so I think that will really help. Coming from a WRX I hate losing traction and loved the AWD... I just cant justify waiting an additional 6 months and losing tax credit money (fed + $3K MD State).. It may be a $10,000 option then so it's not worth it... Any thoughts on the RWD on fresher tires?
Temperature and humidity seem to play a pretty big part in straight line acceleration. I don't think I have had a set of tires that I could confidently not slip if I floored it, maybe when almost new. On some asphalt maybe but I have had the best results with all seasons on a sandpapery like road surface.
I much prefer the characteristics of a RWD p85 over the 90D loaner I tried (except when pulling out of a corner from a stop) and the p85D w/ 19" all seasons. + you cant turn off traction control on the Ds and the P85D seemed really crazy with the fuse pulled, and almost dangerous with all seasons and no stability control.

• Helpful
Reactions: Alset4S
I didn't notice the PSS getting louder, maybe a little quieter when they broke in. I drove 400+ freeway miles when they were new and then ran at Laguna Seca on them and drove back. The PSS ended up getting some smaller chunks out of the edges of the tires, the local M3 had the same issues with the PSS but even worse than what I saw. I think he pretty much only drives the M3 for autocross though.
The RE 71Rs seem to wear pretty good but rather quickly. not sure how much the 5000 lb car contributes? this was what a front looked like after 1 enduro race + drive there and back...pretty much smeared to the wear barView attachment 253472

Temperature and humidity seem to play a pretty big part in straight line acceleration. I don't think I have had a set of tires that I could confidently not slip if I floored it, maybe when almost new. On some asphalt maybe but I have had the best results with all seasons on a sandpapery like road surface.
I much prefer the characteristics of a RWD p85 over the 90D loaner I tried (except when pulling out of a corner from a stop) and the p85D w/ 19" all seasons. + you cant turn off traction control on the Ds and the P85D seemed really crazy with the fuse pulled, and almost dangerous with all seasons and no stability control.

Thanks, I will be going with the PSS. The RE71Rs - I saw similar wear happen, after my first auto-x it looked like I lost 25% of my tread. It comes off SUPER quick to start then it is much slower after that. Kinda similar the battery degradation on the Model S! :D a lot the first year then small every year after that! haha... Not too happy to hear that the fresh tires basically slip with dry pavement :( I hate skipping tires, especially around turns. I will have to re-learn how to apply the throttle. Auto-X will be a lot of fun though since I can rotate the car more and have more control as you mentioned. AWD tends to push set up that way from the factory in all but the most exotic sports cars.

My thinking on the Model 3 is I will get the RWD in January 2018 probably with the slower rollout. Then I will sell it in 3 years and buy an AWD or the P-AWD depending on my status in life and money situation. Therefore I am guaranteed to get the $7.5K Federal and $3K MD State Rebate. Also I really think there will still be about a 1-2 month wait on ordering a M3 in 3 years (demand) not supply. I fully expect Tesla to produce 500,000 M3s a year... I think the Demand will be higher than that. Also the resale value should still be pretty excellent. Considering I get $10,500 for buying it now and that won't be the case in 3 years that should also help me get more for my car.

Thanks! Are you getting a Model 3? Or thinking about it in a few years?