Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Zigbee and ethernet at the same time..

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just had something new today happen...

I've switched over to ethernet to use the solaredge monitoring, and I got the email from tesla last week saying my inverters are offline..

So today I decided I'd go back to zigbee to let them call home for a little bit... When I went into the setapp it uploaded a new firmware. After the update I changed it over to zigbee for monitoring..

Now the interesting piece is that the status lights are still blue (meaning it's connected to solaredge) and both my Tesla and solaredge apps are working now..

I wonder if this new firmware enabled that, or if something else is going on... I never asked tesla to link accounts. And prior to me changing over to zigbee the Tesla app hasn't shown any data.

There are a couple of other posts on the forum about this, but it seems that very recently (within the past week or two) tesla has started allowing the inverters to connect to solaredge through the zigbee gateway. I’ve had my inverters connected only through the zigbee gateway for the last two days and I have been getting data in the solaredge app as well.

Maybe it does both now... *shrug*...

It would really surprise me if that was the case. But then again, I have been surprised before.

Are you able to see how much traffic is being sent over ethernet by your inverter? It would be interesting to see if it’s still sending as much data as it was when you were just using the ethernet connection or if it has dropped back and maybe it’s just testing occasionally to see if the connection is alive, but it’s actually sending the data through the zigbee gateway.

I can see it bringing up and tearing down sessions to Solaredge's system.. So I believe it is using ethernet since it's available.

Are you sure that you forced it to zigbee for monitoring communications? If it’s set to auto then it will prefer ethernet. But if you set it to zigbee then I wouldn’t think that it would use ethernet at all, whether it was available or not. Otherwise what’s the point of setting it to zigbee?

I didn't get a chance to test today, but the blue lights went out and I'm still getting solaredge data...

Either way, I'm happy now.. no nagging from tesla and we get to use solaredge info now.. win win..

yeah, that seems to be how it’s working when it’s transmitting to SolarEdge through the Tesla zigbee gateway. The blue light stays off most of the time, but periodically it will come on for a short time and that is when it transmits the data.

It seems to come on at irregular intervals, ranging from about 5-8 minutes, although occasionally longer. With Ethernet the blue light would be on constantly, but it would transmit regularly every 15 minutes.

yeah, that seems to be how it’s working when it’s transmitting to SolarEdge through the Tesla zigbee gateway. The blue light stays off most of the time, but periodically it will come on for a short time and that is when it transmits the data.

It seems to come on at irregular intervals, ranging from about 5-8 minutes, although occasionally longer. With Ethernet the blue light would be on constantly, but it would transmit regularly every 15 minutes.

I'll keep an eye out for that.. yesterday the lights stayed blue like when on ethernet...

Anywho, its more of a curiosity right now.. I don't care how its getting the data now!

I disconnected the gateway box from ethernet today, I lost updates in the Solaredge app.. So that's definitely the path..

Not sure why its still calling home to Solaredge via ethernet though.. I'm curious if I power off the gateway box if it'll switch over.. I don't have 'auto' enabled, so it probably won't..

It's nice Tesla finally got their heads out of their rears and fixed this.

Question for you all:
My panels, 2 powerwalls and SolarEdge SE7600H inverter were installed this week. 3rd party installers said they weren’t able to create the SolarEdge account for me. When I asked my Tesla project manager, he said that I need to contact SolarEdge directly. Is that true nowadays? Thanks

Question for you all:
My panels, 2 powerwalls and SolarEdge SE7600H inverter were installed this week. 3rd party installers said they weren’t able to create the SolarEdge account for me. When I asked my Tesla project manager, he said that I need to contact SolarEdge directly. Is that true nowadays? Thanks

With solaredge the installer needs to create the monitoring account. For most of us here, Tesla was our installer, so that’s why you see the suggestion of calling Tesla to get the account. However, if you had 3rd party installers then they would be the ones who would need to create the account for you. If you contact solaredge all they will tell you is to call your installer.

If you can’t get anywhere with your installer then the other option is to become your own installer, at least as far as solaredge goes. You can create an installer account and then call solaredge and tell them that you want to take ownership of your site. Solaredge will give you a document to sign where you acknowledge that you are the owner of the site and then they will transfer your site to your installer account. This removes your site from your original installer’s account, so there is a chance that it may affect warranty work. I also would not do this until after you have PTO and have paid the final bill and everything.

Today I got solaredge account activation email from Tesla. And I logged into solaredge App first time , and it has data for today.
I never connected ethernet cable and it shows data. That means, Tesla has opened up and sharing some data with solaredge.
It's getting better....

However, mine is even more mysterious.... my zigbee still shows No signal. But have all data on Tesla App and Solaredge App.
Inverter shows green and blue light. I think blue light is for internet connectivity and green for whether it is currently producing or not.
Anyhow, without zigbee, my inverter is still connecting to Tesla ( They said Inverter picks up any near by strong signal first )

The green light is solid whenever you're producing energy, it will blink when not.. The blue light is when you're connected to SolarEdge's system.. After changing back to Zigbee, I do see my lights go blue every so often. When I was ethernet as primary they were solid blue at all times.

Can't comment on your zigbee status, it should show something lol..

With solaredge the installer needs to create the monitoring account. For most of us here, Tesla was our installer, so that’s why you see the suggestion of calling Tesla to get the account. However, if you had 3rd party installers then they would be the ones who would need to create the account for you. If you contact solaredge all they will tell you is to call your installer.

If you can’t get anywhere with your installer then the other option is to become your own installer, at least as far as solaredge goes. You can create an installer account and then call solaredge and tell them that you want to take ownership of your site. Solaredge will give you a document to sign where you acknowledge that you are the owner of the site and then they will transfer your site to your installer account. This removes your site from your original installer’s account, so there is a chance that it may affect warranty work. I also would not do this until after you have PTO and have paid the final bill and everything.

Thanks and sorry to hijack the thread. One final comment is that I ordered everything through Tesla, but they just sent out 3rd party installers to do the work. Not sure why Tesla is saying they cannot create my SolarEdge account but perhaps I’ll try contacting customer service to try again.