Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Zion and Bryce in a single day

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Through 12 & 24 it's about 20 mi more and higher elevation gain but it's MUCH more scenic. You could maybe plan a stop at an RV park in Torrey or Hanksville?

Doesn't really work with our abbreviated itinerary. Any time I spend there would eat into time I'd have been spending at Arches.

Have you ever been to Monument Valley and Page area? If not I would consider Blanding-Page-Flagstaff instead as, again, It's more scenic.

As you will not have much time to wander around, you should try to maximise the most interesting roads.

Totally agree. I have not been to either.
Are you saying they're more interesting that Petrified Forest and Canyon de Chelly?
After Arches/Canyonlands (and @Owner - thanks for your two cents there), I'm pretty much on a beeline back to San Jose but willing to do small/short sidetrips.

Doesn't really work with our abbreviated itinerary. Any time I spend there would eat into time I'd have been spending at Arches.

Totally agree. I have not been to either.
Are you saying they're more interesting that Petrified Forest and Canyon de Chelly?
After Arches/Canyonlands (and @Owner - thanks for your two cents there), I'm pretty much on a beeline back to San Jose but willing to do small/short sidetrips.

Petrified forest is not worth the detour.

Reactions: Owner
Here's an elevation profile (using the method described by @p-f-g) for Blanding=>Page via Moki Dugway.
You guys think it's doable in an MX 90D (20" wheels) assuming I charge completely up in Blanding?
MokiDugway.jpg

I'd actually skip Canyonlands. Not that it isn't a nice place, but it isn't as spectacular as the others. Arches is my favorite, I spent a week there last year with on a volunteer stint.

I would free up that time to just see where things go. Take the great hike at the end of the drive in Arches (can't remember the name) instead of more driving that day.
I will agree, for a time-limited road trip. Arches National Park is a gem and my favorite as well. It can be visited quite easily by car, with stops at overlooks and short hikes. (And it is a TERRIFIC place to visit by bicycle!)

The Arches entrance station is just a couple of miles from the Moab Supercharger Station. The trail at the end of the road leads to Landscape Arch and several others (I recommend Partition Arch; hardly anybody makes that short side trip); that trail tends to be very busy. A loop trail to Tapestry Arch and Broken Arch is little used compared to most trails. Do be sure to visit the main "Windows" section of the park. Yes, it is popular and will have a lot of people and cars. But with good reason. For those with time to get off the beaten track, a nine mile (one way) dirt road plus a 3.4 mile (round trip) slickrock trail to Tower Arch will get you away from almost everyone.

Canyonlands National Park has three widely separated districts, all of which are quite a ways from the highway:

Island in the Sky District is the most accessible by car. Because the vistas tend to be very long distance, clear air is important. Air pollution from the west greatly reduces the number of days that are clear. The access road to Island in the Sky passes by Dead Horse Point State Park, also highly scenic.

The Needles District is best for hiking. Most of the spectacular scenery is away from the road, and accessed by medium to long hikes. For those who like hiking and red rocks scenery I highly recommend the Needles District. The long access road to this district passes by "Newspaper Rock", one of the largest and showiest examples of petroglyphs.

The Maze District is remote, hard to get to, and best for 4WD high ground clearance vehicles only. Preferably in pairs (or more).

I'll include a few pictures, although they are just a small sample of the sights to be seen in these parks here on my "home turf":
(Click on a picture to view it larger.)
13897010894_355ded7749_z.jpg

^ Landscape Arch, Arches National Park

13896593085_0f2f3c3e04_z.jpg

^ Delicate Arch, Arches National Park [Interesting bit of trivia: many years ago a mapmaker mixed up the names of Delicate Arch and Landscape Arch, and we are stuck with the mixed up names to this day!]

13901073642_741faecce1_z.jpg

^ Double Arch, Arches National Park (note: a single person is standing under the arch, for size reference.)

29650605306_c3ff2ab9a2_z.jpg

^ Turret Arch, Arches National Park

26099320322_4b4ccbe1e9_z.jpg

^ A small bit of a Canyonlands Vista, Island in the Sky District, Canyonlands National Park

26125454641_5cd90fbdff_z.jpg

^ Vista under Mesa Arch, Island in the Sky District, Canyonlands National Park

29650557596_edf21b06a5_z.jpg

^ The Needles panorama, Needles District, Canyonlands National Park

13896663303_eaef330df2_z.jpg

^ Elephant Canyon, Needles District, Canyonlands National Park

29605019911_ce1e6693b0_z.jpg

^ Druid Arch, Needles District, Canyonlands National Park

Last edited:
Hi All,

I'm planning the first road trip for our MX 90D -- a jam-packed 8-day, 3200-mile odyssey where we intend to hit 15 national parks and monuments. i believe I have most of the charging stations figured out but I'm still a little worried about one leg where we'll hit both Zion and Bryce in a single day (and single charge).
Current itinerary looks like this:
Leave Vegas in the late morning (likely after doing a helicopter tour of the Grand Canyon in the early morning)
Fully charge at the St George supercharger while having lunch
Tour Zion
Tour Bryce Canyon (to Rainbow Point and back, time/charge allowing)
Continue to Beaver supercharger and have dinner at Timberline Inn.

evtripplanner is showing 231 miles, which seems doable by itself.
But what scares me is this:
Up Feet: 18,760
Down Feet: 15,492

Has anyone done this successfully before?

Thanks in advance!
John
We did Bryce Canyon and Zion in a single day a couple of weeks ago, although we did it on our way back home to California. We stayed at the hotel next to the Richfield supercharger, started out with a full charge the next morning, (255 rated miles- we have 83,000 miles on our S85), charged at the RV park adjacent to Rubie's for two hours while we had lunch, shopped in the gift shop, and planned the rest of the trip, drove around Bryce Canyon national park, and then drove through Zion on the way to the St. George supercharger. Thanks to the NEMA 14-50 at the RV park, we made it to St. George with a very comfortable margin, but the elevation was in our favor going that direction.

We drove through Arches the previous day, and while Bryce Canyon was the single most breathtaking sight on the trip, Arches is where we most wished we had more time to explore. The peace tree juice cafe next to the Moab supercharger also had a really neat vibe.

I could easily see spending a week at each of Arches, Bryce Canyon, and Zion. But we squeezed all three into a day and a half on the return leg of a larger trip and I'm really glad we did. I was also impressed with how convenient the RV park at Rubie's was. The older gentleman with the beard knew that a 50 amp hookup is all a Tesla needs and gave us a spot in Minnie's campground that was very close to the main hotel, restaurant, and gift shop for $15.

Definitely. The painted desert is beautiful but you have to be there at sunrise/sunset to appreciate it. And for the petrified wood you have some examples closer to your home. Canyon de Chelly is great but just a quick look from the top doesn't worth the miles I think.

In Arches, even if it's certainly one of the most hiked trail, you must go to Delicate Arch for the sunset (3 miles roundtrip). For the next morning I would choose for the sunrise either the Windows area (1/2 h from Moab) or going to Mesa Arch in Canyonlands (1 h).

On your drive to Blanding, don't miss Wilson Arch, it's next to the road. The hwy 211 to the Needle part of Canyonlands is beautiful but it's too much a detour for you this time.

On your way to Moki Dugway, Natural Bridges NM is a 20 miles detour. Right before the switchbacks there is Mulie Point Road with a nice viewpoint, 10 miles roundtrip but don't remember if the road is paved...

The scenic drive in Monument Valley is a dirt road but the view is nice from the visitor center and jeep tours are possible.

Close to Page, you MUST stop at Antelope Canyon. If you are confortable with ladders you should visit the "Lower" part, less people more diverse rock formations. May be closed in case of flood hazard.

In Page, don't miss Horseshoe Bend, 10 minutes walk from the main road.

To motivate you to wake up early :) here is a classic picture of a view of Turret Arch through North Window Arch.

091107_0810_8378_1D.jpg

Another vote for Arches over Canyonlands, especially with limited time and doing more of a "drive by" trip. Arches is spectacular and really differs based on time of day, light, etc. and has some great short walks/hikes which are a nice break from sitting in the car and just getting out at the vista points to snap a quick picture.

Have never done Zion, but am curious, if the Lodge at Zion which allows charging only for guests would allow charging if you were a restaurant guest but not an overnight guest.

Sounds like you won't have time to fit it in, but just wanted to put in a pitch for northern AZ and 3 great parks just east of Flagstaff with nice visitor centers: Sunset Crater, Walnut Canyon (my fav), and Wupatki. Also Meteor Crater is nearby and worth a visit. All these are fairly easy access from interstate 40 and could be packed into one long day.

Lastly, the historic La Posada Inn, a beautifully restored old Fred Harvey hotel, is in Winslow, AZ (and about the only thing I would recommend in that city!) and worth a stop. If you are not staying the night there, at least stop for a meal and, as a guest, you can charge up the Tessa!

Last edited:
Nope. I tried that last year and they would not let me charge. Must be a hotel guest. I think they are slow chargers. But that does not seem the right policy for a national park (and not consistent with the Awhanee - or whatever they have to call it now in Yosemite)>

Have never done Zion, but am curious, if the Lodge at Zion which allows charging only for guests would allow charging if you were a restaurant guest but not an overnight guest.

Sounds like you

Nope. I tried that last year and they would not let me charge. Must be a hotel guest. I think they are slow chargers. But that does not seem the right policy for a national park (and not consistent with the Awhanee - or whatever they have to call it now in Yosemite)>

As I understood, the rangers wouldn't even allow you to drive to the Lodge during peak season unless you had a hotel reservation. I agree it's not a great policy.

In Arches, even if it's certainly one of the most hiked trail, you must go to Delicate Arch for the sunset (3 miles roundtrip). For the next morning I would choose for the sunrise either the Windows area (1/2 h from Moab) or going to Mesa Arch in Canyonlands (1 h).

On your drive to Blanding, don't miss Wilson Arch, it's next to the road. The hwy 211 to the Needle part of Canyonlands is beautiful but it's too much a detour for you this time.

On your way to Moki Dugway, Natural Bridges NM is a 20 miles detour. Right before the switchbacks there is Mulie Point Road with a nice viewpoint, 10 miles roundtrip but don't remember if the road is paved...

Pure gold, @p-f-g! Thanks a million!

Natural Bridges NM was on my radar. And now that I identified that NEMA 14-50 charging point near the UT/AZ border, it's definitely doable.

Close to Page, you MUST stop at Antelope Canyon. If you are confortable with ladders you should visit the "Lower" part, less people more diverse rock formations. May be closed in case of flood hazard.

I'm comfortable, but I'll have an 8 year old in tow and a 30lb toddler on my back. Will need to evaluate...

To motivate you to wake up early :) here is a classic picture of a view of Turret Arch through North Window Arch.

Beautiful! Can't wait!

As I understood, the rangers wouldn't even allow you to drive to the Lodge during peak season unless you had a hotel reservation. I agree it's not a great policy.
That's correct. I got a red postcard/permit in the mail to display in my windshield. That's what let's you drive to the Lodge.
Last year, I was there at the transition from high to low season. When I arrived, the permit was required. The next day, cars were parked all along the road, for hiking, etc. Once the road opens to all traffic, I don't see how they can prevent anyone from charging at the Lodge.

The charger was 208V at 30A, so about 18 mi/h charge rate. Was fine for overnight.

Reactions: SpitzNV
Spreadsheet form a TMC post says 1,000 foot climb uses 10 miles rated range, 1,000 foot descent recovers 6 miles of range. I have found that quite accurate on 4 round trips L.A. - Mammoth plus a 5.700 foot drive up Mt. Wilson.

Therefore:
Up Feet: 18,760
Down Feet: 15,492
will cost you 94 miles rated range beyond what the same distance would be on level ground.

Lots of good advice here. The upper Antelope Canyon is on level ground and is easily doable with the 5yo and the 30lb backpack.

I've had 4 pass through trips to places mentioned here since 2011, none in a Tesla. The new Page Supercharger makes this area of the country much more Tesla accessible. Some places are on unpaved roads and ground clearance can be an issue though.

Spreadsheet form a TMC post says 1,000 foot climb uses 10 miles rated range, 1,000 foot descent recovers 6 miles of range.

Good info. evtripplanner is showing 10913 feet up, 12677 feet down.
109 - 76 = 33 extra miles above the 211 miles of actual distance is 244 RM in total.
That's pretty close to our car's 261 RM max, so we'll charge for an hour or so near the UT/AZ border.

The new Page Supercharger makes this area of the country much more Tesla accessible. Some places are on unpaved roads and ground clearance can be an issue though.

Yeah, we're going to overnight in Page at the hotel with the Supercharger. And luckily we have the adjustable suspension. :)

Ground clearances in inches from another thread:
5.65 Coil

Air:
6.4 Very High
6.0 High
5.1 Normal
4.8 Low

These do not impress me for rough road travel. My Cayenne's air suspension ranges from 6 to 10 inches clearance. I'm told by my Utah friends that for serious wilderness expeditions you should have more like 18 inches.

I love my S90D but it's not going anywhere with a ground clearance issue. 2 of the 4 trips I mentioned would have fine. The drives to a remote slot canyon in Escalante and the Shafer Trail in Canyonlands would not have worked with Tesla clearances. Monument Valley is a close call but probably OK.

I love my S90D but it's not going anywhere with a ground clearance issue. 2 of the 4 trips I mentioned would have fine. The drives to a remote slot canyon in Escalante and the Shafer Trail in Canyonlands would not have worked with Tesla clearances. Monument Valley is a close call but probably OK.

You were quoting for the S, I assume. Because the X clearance is slightly larger from what I can tell:

Q: What is the ground clearance ?
A1: With air suspension : very low/very high 5.11"/8.22" (13cm/20,3cm)

Still, I'm not driving through any canyons! Moki Dugway is probably as crazy as I'm willing to get.

BTW, decided to overnight in Monument Valley at Goulding's Lodge rather than in Page. Has anyone stayed/charged there before? Apparently there is a NEMA 14-50 at the Campground that's available for a fee?