TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Zion National Park to Install Charging Stations!

Discussion in 'Charging Standards and Infrastructure' started by Owner, May 24, 2014.

1. Owner

Owner Active Member

I was poking around the Zion website as I'm thinking of going there in a couple of days at the end of my cross-country and back trip. I found this great news release:

Zion and Pipe Spring are partnering with Utah Clean Cities Coalition (UCCC) to replace three petroleum-powered fleet vehicles with two plug-in hybrid electric vehicles and one all-electric vehicle. Ten electric vehicle charging stations will be installed, five of which will be available for public use. The public charging stations will be located at the National Park Service Visitor Centers in Zion Canyon, Kolob Canyons, and Pipe Spring. The vehicles will be purchased this fiscal year and construction on the charging stations could start as early as this fall.

http://www.nps.gov/zion/parknews/afuelgrantzionpisp.htm

Hopefully we will see sufficient charging stations in all the National Parks soon. Even just for topping off.

2. KJD

KJD Member

That is very good news. It would be great if all the national parks started doing this. That park gets a lot of visitors every year.

I wonder if Tesla would be interested in donating a couple of HPWC for a project like that ?

3. Bugeater

Bugeater Member

At Grand Canyon they let EVs charge in Trailer Village for free on standard 50 amp RV outlets! Just a very short walk to the back of some of the cabins. A year ago now they were really happy to see an electric car there...

4. bsbomber

bsbomber Member

This is awesome news!! We love Zion. We also charged at Trailer village at the south rim of the Grand Canyon two months ago. We are very excited to get charging at National Parks!!!

5. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

That is good news but the press release offers no details on the type of charging being offered.

6. Cottonwood

Cottonwood Roadster#433, Model S#S37

My guess is the typical 30 Amp J plug. If you plan a day of using the park shuttle bus, hiking, etc, even 30 Amp charging will be very helpful.

7. Owner

Owner Active Member

I agree. In well used parks like Zion and Yosemite with shuttle services, even slower chargers are going to be great.

8. ecarfan

Agreed a J1722 would be very useful. It would be even better if Tesla would donate five HPWCs to the park and have those in addition to the J1722s.

9. Kipernicus

Kipernicus Model S Res#P1440

I predict that the 5 J's will be taken up by Volts and PiPs while Teslas will just use the St George supercharger 40 miles away.

Sorry for the cynicism, but I've seen too many public chargers inaccessible when I need it.

10. Darmok

Darmok P5265 XP2065

Kolob Canyon would be great for those headed to Duck Creek or Brian Head from Las Vegas, maybe for a bit of a top off before heading up the steep hills.

11. SFOTurtle

SFOTurtle Active Member

When will Yosemite follow suit and install some additional, much needed charging stations?

12. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

Perhaps when enough people write to the park administrator making the case.

13. Bugeater

Bugeater Member

I was there a year ago in my MS and told any and all staff how helpful it would be to have charging stations.

14. SFOTurtle

SFOTurtle Active Member

Lots of us have written, including the entity contracted to oversee and manage of all of the infrastructure. Nothing seems to get done in Yosemite unless it is years and years in the making.

15. donnac

donnac New Member

The Zion Lodge has just installed two Level 2 Clipper Creek Dual CS 40 systems. I am writing an article on this and the progress on other planned charging stations in the parks for the National Parks Traveler blog. If having charging stations in the parks affects your travel plans and you're interested in sharing your thoughts in the article, please feel free to send me a private message.

Thanks!

16. KJD

KJD Member

Does anyone know if these charge stations got installed or not ?

17. ecarfan

#17 ecarfan, Dec 23, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2014
    A Google search gave answers in a few seconds. See:

Electric Vehicle Charging Station at Zion National Park Lodge

Yes there are two Clipper Creek CS400 stations at Zion Park Lodge. My understanding is that only lodge guests can enter the park at the main entrance and park at the lodge. Others have to use the park shuttle bus system. So those two stations are not open to everyone.

18. nwdiver

nwdiver Active Member

This is certainly one area where public policy is DEEPLY lacking... we get credited $7500 to buy an EV but they can't find a fraction of that to install a few 50 amp plugs in parking areas at national parks?

19. Twiglett

Twiglett Single pedal driver

or without proper signage, the 5 EVSE's will much more likely be taken up by minivans, pickups or <insert ICE brand here>

20. nwdiver

nwdiver Active Member