Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Zion National Park to Install Charging Stations!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was poking around the Zion website as I'm thinking of going there in a couple of days at the end of my cross-country and back trip. I found this great news release:

Zion and Pipe Spring are partnering with Utah Clean Cities Coalition (UCCC) to replace three petroleum-powered fleet vehicles with two plug-in hybrid electric vehicles and one all-electric vehicle. Ten electric vehicle charging stations will be installed, five of which will be available for public use. The public charging stations will be located at the National Park Service Visitor Centers in Zion Canyon, Kolob Canyons, and Pipe Spring. The vehicles will be purchased this fiscal year and construction on the charging stations could start as early as this fall.

http://www.nps.gov/zion/parknews/afuelgrantzionpisp.htm

Hopefully we will see sufficient charging stations in all the National Parks soon. Even just for topping off.

That is very good news. It would be great if all the national parks started doing this. That park gets a lot of visitors every year.

I wonder if Tesla would be interested in donating a couple of HPWC for a project like that ?

The Zion Lodge has just installed two Level 2 Clipper Creek Dual CS 40 systems. I am writing an article on this and the progress on other planned charging stations in the parks for the National Parks Traveler blog. If having charging stations in the parks affects your travel plans and you're interested in sharing your thoughts in the article, please feel free to send me a private message.

Thanks!

I was poking around the Zion website as I'm thinking of going there in a couple of days at the end of my cross-country and back trip. I found this great news release:

Zion and Pipe Spring are partnering with Utah Clean Cities Coalition (UCCC) to replace three petroleum-powered fleet vehicles with two plug-in hybrid electric vehicles and one all-electric vehicle. Ten electric vehicle charging stations will be installed, five of which will be available for public use. The public charging stations will be located at the National Park Service Visitor Centers in Zion Canyon, Kolob Canyons, and Pipe Spring. The vehicles will be purchased this fiscal year and construction on the charging stations could start as early as this fall.

http://www.nps.gov/zion/parknews/afuelgrantzionpisp.htm

Hopefully we will see sufficient charging stations in all the National Parks soon. Even just for topping off.

Does anyone know if these charge stations got installed or not ?

A Google search gave answers in a few seconds. See:

Electric Vehicle Charging Station at Zion National Park Lodge

Yes there are two Clipper Creek CS400 stations at Zion Park Lodge. My understanding is that only lodge guests can enter the park at the main entrance and park at the lodge. Others have to use the park shuttle bus system. So those two stations are not open to everyone.

Last edited: