Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Zoom out to nearby chargers in phone app

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ZipByICE

Occasional member
Jul 14, 2013
North FL
This drives me crazy: for some reason when using phone app (Iphone 4.8.1-1032), when I go to location, as a default, maps zooms out showing nearby chargers. It was not like that until couple of weeks ago. Maybe I clicked something but clicking around does not bring back old behavior.
Of course, I can pinch to zoom in but that is at least couple of "pinches", very annoying.
Any suggestion how to fix that?
Get a new phone? Car?
Thank you.

Tapping on car does not work on phone app. You can tap on the screen: two quick taps will zoom in. But in my area, it takes about 20 taps to zoom to street level. Pinch to zoom is quicker.
Oh well, just need wait for another "update".

Tapping on car does not work on phone app. You can tap on the screen: two quick taps will zoom in. But in my area, it takes about 20 taps to zoom to street level. Pinch to zoom is quicker.
Oh well, just need wait for another "update".
Must be an Apple feature. I can zoom in all the way by tapping the arrow representing the car 10 times on my Android.

I used the feature at the race track the other day for the first time. Not knowing exactly where I parked in the mass of cars, it was very convenient to have the app take me directly to the car. Of course, when you press the direction icon, it zooms in all the way. Perhaps this is a workaround to the zoom issue. Just press the directions icon, and it zooms in all the way.

They introduced this "feature" in the previous version (4.8.0.1025) for both Android and IOS. I can get used to zooming in once, but the problem I've seen is that is keeps zooming back out without closing the app - sometimes while I am simply looking at it to see the location without touching the screen at all.

I found this topic by searching for 4.8.1-1032 to see if it was possibly fixed, but I guess not. So, perhaps I'll stick to the older 4.7x for a while.

I am so annoyed by this change both on my app when I go to location within the app and on my car’s screen. Had a few software updates so not sure which one altered how it gets displayed. Just know I want both views back to the way they were.

Did a search for this issue on TMC and as has been mentioned in the UK and Ireland section, when you use to get in the car the map was zoomed in and stayed zoomed in while on local roads. Now it zooms way out. I’m in Calif so this is seemingly an international software issue. Not sure who thought this was a great idea. I even tried to ask the car to zoom in on the screen so I didn’t have to touch the screen while driving (forgot exactly what I requested) but it wasn’t a command that was available. Found it rather dangerous to play around tapping the screen while driving to see local streets.