Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Zytek Elise - 1996 - Roadsters' real DNA ?

Mark77a

Jul 7, 2012
Poole, Dorset, UK
Unlike some who decry the Roadsters' Lotus Elise DNA, I've always loved the Elise, and especially its handling and on track behaviour. I had one of the 1st Elises in 1996, and was also was fascinated by electrification. This was around the time of AC Propulsions original TZero (which initially used Lead-Acid Batteries).

The Zytek Elise was more interesting as it was basically an electrified Lotus Elise, using Nickel-Cadmium batteries.

On a recent clearout I found some fascinating brochure and review materials ... I hope this may be of interest to Roadster Owners.

Zytek Electric Elise
Zytek Electric Elise Reviews 1997
Pre-Launch Lotus Elise Update 1996

As a postscript Russ Sciville, converted a Lotus Elise to Electric with Li-ion batteries in 2006 : Russ Sciville's 1998 Lotus Elise

Image (6).jpg Image (7).jpg Image (13).jpg

X.l.r.8

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2018
Toronto/Miami
If I hadn't been working with Porsche from the late 80's i can guarantee I would have had a Lotus, and not only because I'm young enough to remember when James Bond had one. My wife used to joke to me about converting one for racing with, now I laugh as I have the next best thing.

Reactions: Mark77a

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC