Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

10.8 FSD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Two thumb restart?
Yes, but you have to exit the car and close the door while the car is rebooting.

On a drive you observe a bad action such as needing to hard brake. Pull off to the side of the road as soon as you can and reboot. I did it with my foot on the brake and rebooted while still in drive. Get out and close the door and do not open it until the reboot process is complete. If you don't do it right such as open the door too soon it won't work. The entire drive data will be lost so nothing gets sent in.

I drove my car very little after getting 110 miles and soon, I got the FSD beta email.

I've heard that no longer scuttles bad drives, is that not still the case?
I haven't done much research on the process. I've looked at a couple Youtube videos, but that's about it.
Yes, but you have to exit the car and close the door while the car is rebooting.

On a drive you observe a bad action such as needing to hard brake. Pull off to the side of the road as soon as you can and reboot. I did it with my foot on the brake and rebooted while still in drive. Get out and close the door and do not open it until the reboot process is complete. If you don't do it right such as open the door too soon it won't work. The entire drive data will be lost so nothing gets sent in.

I drove my car very little after getting 110 miles and soon, I got the FSD beta email.

Thanks for the info. Good to know.

Actually, someone posted in another thread about this and I've done it a couple times. All that is required is to open the door and release the seat sensor, so raising yourself off the chair for a couple seconds is enough (after the car starts to reset.) You can then stay in the car and close the door again.

Appreciate all the advice. I'm hoping to avoid having to reset to keep a 100 score, but it's going to be tough. This morning I was able to make it to work with a perfect score which was very surprising. The plan this weekend is to take a 100-mile round trip (all freeway) to bring the mileage up.

Be sure to keep a car in front of you but not too close in front of you

All that is required is to open the door and release the seat sensor, so raising yourself off the chair for a couple seconds is enough (after the car starts to reset.) You can then stay in the car and close the door again.
Where do you get this info from? How is this better than just resetting the computer while you continue to drive?

Reactions: GlmnAlyAirCar
Be sure to keep a car in front of you but not too close in front of you

Where do you get this info from? How is this better than just resetting the computer while you continue to drive?
Maybe it's model dependent? Back in Nov/Dec the recommended sequence was reset, get out of car and close the door. Drive would then not be logged to the safety score. It sounds like some people could just do a reset and others had to exit/simulate exiting the vehicle to prevent safety score saves. (I personally didn't want to drive while the screens reset, so I always stopped anyway.)

Maybe it's model dependent? Back in Nov/Dec the recommended sequence was reset, get out of car and close the door. Drive would then not be logged to the safety score. It sounds like some people could just do a reset and others had to exit/simulate exiting the vehicle to prevent safety score saves. (I personally didn't want to drive while the screens reset, so I always stopped anyway.)

The problem is no one is sure what affects what, so they end up doing extraneous steps. Just like pressing the brake during the 2 scroll wheel reset. It does nothing. This is commonly known as cargo cult thinking, which gives rise to superstitions.

Getting out of the car, or the seat, while in "P"ark, simply starts a new trip. If you reset and continue to drive, not only does the infraction never gets registered, the rest of your drive after the reset also doesn't get registered, because it's all part of the same trip that was "deleted." Therefore if you have a perfect drive after resetting, but you never "got out of the car", then none of that telemetry will count in your favor. Likewise you can drive like a maniac until you get out of the car and not affect your safety score. If you get out of your car/seat and then get another ding, you'll need to 2-wheel reset again to clear this second trip.