Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12v dead, frunk won’t open

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I went out of town for a week and my 2022 model 3 lost all battery power. 12v dead, can’t unlock car doors with app or key card. I watched the videos about opening the frunk with the emergency wires in the small circle on front bumper.

I’ve tried a 9v battery and 12v battery jumper. The frunk does not open when I use either approach. Instead, as soon as I connect the positive and negative, I hear the frunk mechanism making noises indicating it’s trying to open, but it never opens. After 5 seconds or so the noise stops.

Any idea why the frunk won’t open?

Is there another way to open the frunk?

Any help appreciated.

Did you try to lift the frunk a bit with your hands while applying the jumper?

Is your jumper the type that is "smart" where it doesn't allow full power unless it detects a voltage on the terminals (typically as a polarity test)? If that is the case, you may need to set it to the manual mode (such that it outputs the ~12V directly), you may need to consult the manual of your jumper to see what modes are available and what buttons to press.

Also check you have the polarity correct and that your battery/jumper is not out of charge.

There is also a possibility your 12V battery is not completely dead, and it's in the awkward middle where it's not enough power to unlock the car, but enough to disable the tow hook cables.

Last edited:
Reactions: E90alex
Sometimes you need to "push down" on the frunk while it tries to open, for example if it was full and something is already pushing it upwards. That might put enough pressure on the lock so that it cannot open. Something similar happens with the glovebox sometimes.