Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2014 P85D Error Thoughts? (Part 2)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do Your Homework With These 3 Simple Questions

In the event that you are shopping around for a reputable service pro to fix or replace an ailing battery pack, be sure to ask these 3 simple questions:

1) Can you provide me with full brick level capacity diagnostics? And if not, how do you ensure that any replacement modules you install will match correctly?

Because, if they can’t measure brick capacity coming out, or going in, how are they going to ensure that your car won’t be back on a lift within 12 months?

2) Can you provide me with full module level impedance readouts for each of the Voltage Sensor Harnesses and BMB boards to ensure I won’t have issues with these in the future?

3) Can you provide me with the current pack Isolation and Moisture Levels to ensure that the pack won’t suddenly shut down while I’m driving.

Any reputable service pro that works on your battery pack knows these in their sleep and should be able to provide you with complete brick, module and pack level readouts for each of these.

If not, find someone who does

Can I upgrade to 2016 Tesla Model S P90D ver 2.0 pack from 2014 Tesla Model S P85D ver 1.5? As there is little difference in design at HV and data connection area, see the photos for reference.
Thanks

Attachments

• 2013-2019 OEM Tesla Model S 85kWh battery pack.jpg
    2013-2019 OEM Tesla Model S 85kWh battery pack.jpg
    566.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 2016-2020 OEM Tesla Model S X 90kWh battery pack.png
    2016-2020 OEM Tesla Model S X 90kWh battery pack.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 4
Can I upgrade to 2016 Tesla Model S P90D ver 2.0 pack from 2014 Tesla Model S P85D ver 1.5? As there is little difference in design at HV and data connection area
I think yes. There was pretty broad compatibility across all of the 60/70/75/85/90 battery types in that era. The 100 packs got reworked with some different connections, so it takes more doing I think to get that to swap in.

Reactions: r1singh