Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

99% Issue - Calculating [Charging to 100% hangs at 99%]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi if anyone can help, i’m having a issue, when i charge it, It will go to 99% & just hang there & changes to calibrating or calculating. The moment i click stop charging it then shows 100%.

If anyone can help that would be grate. I been to tesla 2 times, 1 they checked over the battery & said nothing wrong with it, the battery is fine & dont worry its only 1%…. The 2nd time was told too drop the battery below 20% & leave car overnight then charge to 100% but this did not fix the issue(100% charge complete) & yes i do get its only 1%, but when i sell to update its going to be a issues for new buyer & think something wrong with the battery so i would like to learn, resolve this issue to charge complete so i dont have issue selling in the future..

Here is picture… i also i have a video where it hits 99% click stop charging 100% then when click charging again it goes back to 99% very weird..
Video -

Attachments

• D65E3DC8-D861-4135-BE61-95EEB45E257B.jpeg
    D65E3DC8-D861-4135-BE61-95EEB45E257B.jpeg
    300.7 KB · Views: 643
Solution
So today was day 15 since I picked up my Rwd and I haven't had a chance to charge to 100% yet so I went to a local supercharger to charge to 100% to keep the bms accurate (assuming it wouldn't be busy which it wasn't).

Once it showed a few minutes remaining, I went out to the car from shopping and when it went to 99%, it said calibrating so I waited and waited and waited and waited for around 30 minutes until I thought to check on TMC and I found this thread, I promptly stopped charging and realized I can let it finish calibrating at home. If I knew it could take a really long time to calibrate, I would have just stopped once I was close to 99. Now I know.
Mine only charges to 100% after calibrating every time now & its about...
This is 100% normal. Let it finish (it WILL finish). It may take 5 minutes to finish, or an hour to finish, but its balancing the battery cells.

Let it finish, there is no issue for tesla to fix here, which is why they told you there is nothing wrong with it (because there isnt).

Similar threads for more reading:

Upvote 0
This is 100% normal. Let it finish (it WILL finish). It may take 5 minutes to finish, or an hour to finish, but its balancing the battery cells.

Let it finish, there is no issue for tesla to fix here, which is why they told you there is nothing wrong with it (because there isnt).

Similar threads for more reading:

I dont have a home charger only can rely on Tesla supercharger so if i just sit there for a while should hit 100% ? thanks for the reply 👍

Upvote 0
I dont have a home charger only can rely on Tesla supercharger so if i just sit there for a while should hit 100% ? thanks for the reply 👍

You dont mention what model 3 you have. You can, if you want to (sit there for it to finish) or you can just understand that its out of balance some and go on about your day.

Upvote 0
...a while...

As the battery gets fuller, its charging speed gets slower. Also, the BMS Battery Management System has to calculate what value is 100% so your last 0.001% can take a long time, like an hour or more. So when you charge it at 99.99% the display rounds down as 99%. When you stop charging, the display rounds up as 100%.

Upvote 0
I'm assuming that was an LFP 3! Anyhow, that was also not a Tesla supercharger, right? It was charging at 4amps. More like a Level 2 destination charger.

There's absolutely no need to worry about the car charging to 100% when you sell it.

Upvote 0
You dont mention what model 3 you have. You can, if you want to (sit there for it to finish) or you can just understand that its out of balance some and go on about your day.
Sorry i have Model 3 standard range 2019 & ok i just supercharged left it at 99% & about extra 40mins later 100% charged complete, thanks for the help👊😁

Attachments

• 37944056-6CF0-40A8-B02F-90244C4E826B.jpeg
    37944056-6CF0-40A8-B02F-90244C4E826B.jpeg
    298.2 KB · Views: 1,706
  • 9903AD5E-0936-4AE8-80DB-CE049C9AA854.jpeg
    9903AD5E-0936-4AE8-80DB-CE049C9AA854.jpeg
    200.8 KB · Views: 543
Upvote 0
You placed multiple service calls over this? It's this kind of stuff that clogs up Tesla Service lanes for people who actually need it.
What does the car show for range at 99%? I bet it's within a mile of when the car shows 100!
Anyone thats new to tesla would do the same because you think straight away “something wrong with the battery” 2nd if the tesla service was more accurate in telling me what i need to do it wouldn’t of happened example took one person from here & my issue is resolved, well it was now i charged the 2nd time gone back to calculation again so looks like any time i do long journey ill have to sit there for extra 40mins lol this tesla 2019 m3 battery sucks no wonder musk says charge to 95% because he know battery issue calculating.. already got my eyes on Taycan next i think…

Upvote 0
Update so on my last response to this i charged & waited, it did go to 100% after waiting extra 40mins, the 2nd time I charged to do long journey its gone back to calculating again so it looks like any time i charge ill have to sit extra 40mins to hit 100% thats sucks… obviously on small journeys 95% but long journeys come on…
If the battery calculated properly from last charge why’s it doing it again :/

Upvote 0
Update so on my last response to this i charged & waited, it did go to 100% after waiting extra 40mins, the 2nd time I charged to do long journey its gone back to calculating again so it looks like any time i charge ill have to sit extra 40mins to hit 100% thats sucks… obviously on small journeys 95% but long journeys come on…
If the battery calculated properly from last charge why’s it doing it again :/

1. It wont necessarily be the same amount of extra time, every time. It could be 5-10 minutes, it could be 40 minutes, it could be an hour or more.

2. Since you are using a public charger (super charger or otherwise), unless the difference in range between 95% and 100% means you getting or not getting to the next charger or destination, there isnt any need to charge to 100% for every trip, either. Just charge to 99% and ignore the additional percentage.

My advice to let it finish is because you thought something was wrong with your battery (and its good to let it balance the cells if you are charging to 100% anyway). If its not convenient, dont bother.

Upvote 0
Anyone thats new to tesla would do the same because you think straight away “something wrong with the battery” 2nd if the tesla service was more accurate in telling me what i need to do it wouldn’t of happened example took one person from here & my issue is resolved, well it was now i charged the 2nd time gone back to calculation again so looks like any time i do long journey ill have to sit there for extra 40mins lol this tesla 2019 m3 battery sucks no wonder musk says charge to 95% because he know battery issue calculating.. already got my eyes on Taycan next i think…
Maybe the service center was just confused by your question, because it's not really the norm for most owners. No one would sit an extra 40mins to get 1% more charge, except for maybe one person.

Have you never owned a smartphone? You haven't seen the charge rate slow as it got full? Such a weird thread, and such a strange response to the answers.

Very passive aggressive trollish-type behavior to diss the Tesla battery and talk about buying a Porsche, in a forum full of Tesla owners.

Upvote 0

There is a lot incorrect with this post.

1. "musk does not recommend charging to 95% (anywhere). Recommendations for LONG RANGE and PERFORMANCE model 3s are to charge somewhere on the slider that doesnt say "TRIPS" which is what 100% says. Recommendations for RWD standard range model 3s are to charge to 100% once a week.

2. there IS NO "calculating issue, unless you consider it to be your issue. It certainly isnt an issue with the car"

3. Porsche taycan's are nice vehicles. I wouldnt own one myself, too expensive for what I want out of a car. Lets compare a car that STARTS at 87k US dollars, with porsches' "legendary" option list, vs one that starts around 41k with very little in the way of options.

In any case, the only other thing I will say is, I wish you the best moving forward with your vehicle and or decisions to move on.

Reactions: Rocky_H
Upvote 0
There is a lot incorrect with this post.

1. "musk does not recommend charging to 95% (anywhere). Recommendations for LONG RANGE and PERFORMANCE model 3s are to charge somewhere on the slider that doesnt say "TRIPS" which is what 100% says. Recommendations for RWD standard range model 3s are to charge to 100% once a week.

2. there IS NO "calculating issue, unless you consider it to be your issue. It certainly isnt an issue with the car"

3. Porsche taycan's are nice vehicles. I wouldnt own one myself, too expensive for what I want out of a car. Lets compare a car that STARTS at 87k US dollars, with porsches' "legendary" option list, vs one that starts around 41k with very little in the way of options.

In any case, the only other thing I will say is, I wish you the best moving forward with your vehicle and or decisions to move on.
Here you go 👍

Attachments

• 10F428AB-95D8-44BC-AE82-93A0A6B4AFA4.jpeg
    10F428AB-95D8-44BC-AE82-93A0A6B4AFA4.jpeg
    472.2 KB · Views: 494
Upvote 0
Maybe the service center was just confused by your question, because it's not really the norm for most owners. No one would sit an extra 40mins to get 1% more charge, except for maybe one person.

Have you never owned a smartphone? You haven't seen the charge rate slow as it got full? Such a weird thread, and such a strange response to the answers.

Very passive aggressive trollish-type behavior to diss the Tesla battery and talk about buying a Porsche, in a forum full of Tesla owners.
Yh i own an iphone it can charge to 100% every time no random calculating or waiting extra 40mins to go on long trips 😂

Most the time i charge 95% then long trips 100% oh i mean 99% - if the battery cells finish calculating to 100% shouldn’t happen again for at least awhile but i guess the battery is like a fish 😂 never mind i guess 99% is the new long trip..

They wasn’t confused by my question they told me to let the car drop to 20% & let the car sit for awhile or overnight then charge to 100% should fix the issue.. That didn’t work.. so service team was wrong.. Never mind i live with the fish battery sell on..

Upvote 0
Anyone that's new to Tesla would do the same? Ummmm, no, not at all. I did my homework long before I decided to make the leap with a Tesla.
Anyone who would sit around for 40 extra minutes to top off a battery should NOT own an EV. You're in way over your head here buddy and let us know how the Taycan works for you.

Upvote 0