Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone have experience getting new replacement from Tesla? Have had 2 drive unit failures in <9500mi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They wouldn't subtract the federal tax credit as not everyone is even eligible for it. And as far as I understand, you could technically file for the tax credit on your current car as well as the replacement since you did not buy the first car with the intent of selling it, and the next owner wont be able to file for it anyways because the car would be resold as used so you're not screwing someone else out of it...
They would, unless you can prove that you didn’t get the credit. I’d think you’ll have to show them the tax return. This is how all their goodwill buybacks work. Have you gone through a buyback with Tesla?

They wouldn't subtract the federal tax credit as not everyone is even eligible for it. And as far as I understand, you could technically file for the tax credit on your current car as well as the replacement since you did not buy the first car with the intent of selling it, and the next owner wont be able to file for it anyways because the car would be resold as used so you're not screwing someone else out of it...
Tesla will definitely deduct $7,500 from the buyback offer, I'm not sure if anyone who's received a buyback has been able to negotiate otherwise. If you initiate a lemon claim, then the buyback amount is usually determined by the law.

The 7500 credit is not through Tesla... Not everyone even files for it or would have filed for it before the buyback even... The 7500 isn't a part of the purchasing process. Yet you think they are going to collect during the buyback and pass it back to the feds?

Last edited:
The 7500 credit is not through Tesla... Not everyone even files for it or would have filed for it before the buyback even... The 7500 isn't a part of the purchasing process. Yet you think they are going to collect during the buyback and pass it back to the feds?

No they are going to refuse to reimburse you for it expecting you to get the credit from the feds.. Many people have reported that is how it works.

• Disagree
Reactions: super20g
Speaking from experience from a buyback and probably going to go thru a 2nd round as well in the next few weeks (first vehicle was for paint issues, and the 2nd one is the same)

Tesla will refund you the exact price you paid for the car (Down payment, etc). If you have a loan, then will cut a check to the bank first and send you the difference. It takes some time for this to happen so they will let you drive the car(assuming its drives, but they will ask the loaner back).

Tesla does NOT pro-rate the refund with the rebates/incentive.

As part of the buyback, you have to certify that you didnt claim the rebates/tax incentives, but Tesla doesnt list a penalty. Technically for the rebates, it can only be applied to the first owner of the car so even if Tesla sold the car, they wouldnt advertise that the rebates would be available, if that makes sense.

My advise to the OP is the following:
- Please do not be a Diva or cause a scene, I see this too many times at the service center and on these forums.
- Be nice to the Service Center people, this goes a long way.(Apparently the service people log everything into your Tesla Corp Profile, dont ask me how I know this)
- Ask to deal with the manager, there should be at least 3 there
- Ask for some concessions for your trouble, I did and got some good stuff(dont ask, dont tell).
- Be patient but stern. Tesla does lack in follow up.

No one who has bought a Tesla in 2018 has gotten a credit. You can't file your 2018 taxes until 2019.
I am aware of that so most likely you will have to show them the return next year to get reimbursed for this year’s buyback. I don’t speak from experience on this particular scenario so maybe others who have can share. I just remember reading about it.

• Disagree
You can argue about it all you want. As @mobilesuit818 shared Tesla will deduct the fed tax credit unless you can prove and certify that you didn’t / can’t claim it.

• Disagree
Speaking from experience from a buyback and probably going to go thru a 2nd round as well in the next few weeks (first vehicle was for paint issues, and the 2nd one is the same)

Tesla will refund you the exact price you paid for the car (Down payment, etc). If you have a loan, then will cut a check to the bank first and send you the difference. It takes some time for this to happen so they will let you drive the car(assuming its drives, but they will ask the loaner back).

Tesla does NOT pro-rate the refund with the rebates/incentive.

As part of the buyback, you have to certify that you didnt claim the rebates/tax incentives, but Tesla doesnt list a penalty. Technically for the rebates, it can only be applied to the first owner of the car so even if Tesla sold the car, they wouldnt advertise that the rebates would be available, if that makes sense.

My advise to the OP is the following:
- Please do not be a Diva or cause a scene, I see this too many times at the service center and on these forums.
- Be nice to the Service Center people, this goes a long way.(Apparently the service people log everything into your Tesla Corp Profile, dont ask me how I know this)
- Ask to deal with the manager, there should be at least 3 there
- Ask for some concessions for your trouble, I did and got some good stuff(dont ask, dont tell).
- Be patient but stern. Tesla does lack in follow up.

Sorry you had to go through a buy back 2 times. Did the taxes you pay get reimbursed also? Fit and finish on my car has been perfect and when it was running after the first drive unit was replaced I thought all was well. Didn't want to have to think about replacing it, but having a reliable vehicle is more important.

I called for an update and the engineers have still been looking at my car. Drive unit and pyrofuse were replaced but the car was still throwing up errors intermittently so they are studying it. Positive of this ordeal is that they can learn about the issue on my car more to maybe prevent others from having it happen to them.

You can argue about it all you want. As @mobilesuit818 shared Tesla will deduct the fed tax credit unless you can prove and certify that you didn’t / can’t claim it.

Tesla has no zero ways of validating if you did or not. It’s noted that you certify that you didn’t but there is no mention of a penalty.

To CYA, I mentioned in a few emails to the support staff that I did get a few rebates on the first vehicle prior to the buy back.

Not giving anyone advice on how to game this process and not saying how I specifically did it but will mention the following;

- One in theory could claim rebates and tax credits for 2 cars if both cars were received within the time period. Doesn’t matter if the car was part of a buyback.
- Texhnically, you could put the 2nd car under your wife’s name as primary and claim the rebates/tax that way.
- The point prior to buyback(like right now) is point where you have the most leverage as you have been “seriously inconvenienced” and the time to ask for concessions to the support staff is now. Don’t ask for anything crazy but the support staff does has a allowance for this(don’t ask me how I know) as they want to make you happy.

Not giving anyone advice on how to game this process and not saying how I specifically did it but will mention the following;

- One in theory could claim rebates and tax credits for 2 cars if both cars were received within the time period. Doesn’t matter if the car was part of a buyback.
- Texhnically, you could put the 2nd car under your wife’s name as primary and claim the rebates/tax that way.
- The point prior to buyback(like right now) is point where you have the most leverage as you have been “seriously inconvenienced” and the time to ask for concessions to the support staff is now. Don’t ask for anything crazy but the support staff does has a allowance for this(don’t ask me how I know) as they want to make you happy.

Which support staff should I be contacting? Have had to call the service center for updates but would get similar response saying car is currently in service and being looked at. I have had to send question on the website and put it for escalated review by executive team but have not had anyone personally contact me about my concerns. Any tips would be much appreciated!

Which support staff should I be contacting? Have had to call the service center for updates but would get similar response saying car is currently in service and being looked at. I have had to send question on the website and put it for escalated review by executive team but have not had anyone personally contact me about my concerns. Any tips would be much appreciated!
Escalating through executive review will more than likely be someone kicking it back to the service center... Executive review doesn't mean much.

You'll want to contact the service center manager and express your dissatisfaction with multiple major component failures and repairs now and tell him you're uncomfortable keeping the car and would ask that they buy it back before it has to be lemoned (if it meets your states criteria)... IF that is what you want. You could probably settle for a concession like EAP if you don't already have it and would be satisfied with something like that for all the hassle. Or, if you really want a do over, you can just keep pushing for that. Ask to be contacted by the regional service manager or director of service. They absolutely will not let you because Tesla treats those people like the Wizard of Oz, but it would show a bit of intent to take action on this without throwing out 'lawyer' which will probably not be very helpful unless you indeed meet the lemon criteria.

Hopefully they can just get to the bottom of the problem and you can feel confident in the car again. I would still ask for concessions if you have been racking up time and lost wages/vacation time dealing with this stuff let alone having your new car get wear and tear from the service manipulations.

Last edited:
Reactions: turtlesz
Please do Tesla a favor and buy a Jaguar next time.
Depending how knit-picky he is being, he is probably doing Tesla and Tesla owners a favor by having these cars with paint problems bought back. I am sure that makes some kind of internal reporting and eventually someone may actually address the inconsistent paint issues if these start to pile up, which would be good for everyone involved...

Reactions: Darren Donovan
That user did not say that. I am not sure if I am coming across as being argumentative or not... But I do indeed disagree with your belief that Telsa will buy back a car minus 7500 until you prove you did not file for the federal credit.

Depending how knit-picky he is being, he is probably doing Tesla and Tesla owners a favor by having these cars with paint problems bought back. I am sure that makes some kind of internal reporting and eventually someone may actually address the inconsistent paint issues if these start to pile up, which would be good for everyone involved...

There was a batch of vehicles that had some poor paint quality that was rejected by my coatings guy as he refused to warranty the work.

The repair work was botched and Tesla offered to make it right. Not sure why some trollers are bashing me but bring it on.

Flame Suit on!!

I'm not a troller, I am simply suggesting that you are not benefiting Tesla in any way. I'm not sure that you owning "other Teslas" is a good thing either. You sound like a problem customer but you're right, I don't know the exact details.

I am giving them the chance to fix it. I just don't have the confidence that they truly know what's going on, my car had been running perfectly for 8000 miles after the last drive unit was replaced. I had just taken it in to supercharge and after charge is when the error messages came up. Nobody was certain what had happened by I felt they just preemptively replaced the drive unit and pyrofuse again. And don't think the ppf will cause any issues, it was just on the bumper, headlights and side mirrors. It's just a film and can be taken off very easily, same with window tint.

And I'm not looking to go after Tesla and get lawyers involved for lemon law filing, I just was wondering if Tesla has ever simply exchanged an owners faulty car for another. The model 3 is still relatively new and all the issues have not been discovered, Tesla could keep my car to further diagnose and study the issues to see what must have been going on and give me a new replacement 3.

Talk to the service manager about it. I believe they can submit a business case for a buyback. I was asking about it in case I need to pursue that myself since my car broke down twice too.