Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australasian charging standard

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's interesting, the last category in the press release regarding "Plugs; socket-outlets; vehicle connectors and vehicle inlets" is designated AS IEC 62196.2: 2014. I'm pretty sure that IEC 62196.2 is the European Mennekes standard, so it looks like that is getting the nod for Australia. I wonder where that leaves all the J1772 based cars like the Leaf, Miev and Volt?

That's interesting, the last category in the press release regarding "Plugs; socket-outlets; vehicle connectors and vehicle inlets" is designated AS IEC 62196.2: 2014. I'm pretty sure that IEC 62196.2 is the European Mennekes standard, so it looks like that is getting the nod for Australia. I wonder where that leaves all the J1772 based cars like the Leaf, Miev and Volt?
Those cars that have Type-1 (J1772) vehicle inlets exist in Europe too. That is the good thing about the 62196 standard - you bring your own cable, so some people carry Type-2 to Type-2 cables (for up to 43kW 3 phase) and some carry Type-2 to Type-1 cables (for up to 7.4kW single phase).

Doh!
So the search for a J1772 to Mennekes cable continues. :-(

Edit

Yep according to a NZ Standards press release last year they will probably have a bet both ways.

"IEC Standards have been and will be instrumental to the safe, efficient, and reliable charging of present and future electric vehicles. The IEC removed a major hurdle for charging infrastructures when IEC Subcommittee (SC) 23H, Plugs, socket-outlets, and couplers for industrial and similar applications, and for electric vehicles, published two international electric vehicle Standards for plugs and sockets – IEC 62196-1 and IEC 62196-2. The former outlines general requirements while the second defines options for each country and manufacturer.

Crucially, the two Standards build on the electric vehicle charging system standard, IEC 61851-1, published in 2010, which defines four modes of charging an electric vehicle from a power source. Slow-charging in Modes 1 to 3 takes between 3 and 10 hours through direct connection to an AC mains supply while the fast-charging Mode 4 can charge a vehicle in under 10 minutes via an off-grid DC charger such as a high voltage battery.

The general IEC Standard applies to all four modes while IEC 62196-2 applies only to Modes 1 to 3, AC charging from mains electricity. However, an SC 23H Project Team is in the process of finalising IEC 62196-3, which will standardise plugs and sockets for the fast DC charging Mode 4."

I'm guessing 62196-1 refers to J1772 and 62196-2, 3 and 4 are mennekes. So where does that leave Chademo?

Last edited:
Attached see mail from Jerome Guillen Below.

Sorry for my delayed response. I just realized I hadn’t responded yet. If the charging stations are installed without tethered cables (as in the case in Europe), the IEC standard allows to plug on the car side with either J1772 or Mennekes. A Tesla Model S needs to use a Mennekes Type 2 cable, while a SAE-charging car will need to carry a J1772 cable – both cars can still use the same charging station!

A bit of background to decode the numerical standards:

The connectors defined in IEC 62196-2 include both the J1772 form factor, and the Type 2 often called Mennekes Type 2 (EU Model S). If they encourage infrastructure that matches what has been deployed in Europe, without tethered cables, the IEC standard allows both J1772 and Type 2 vehicle side support using different cables.

Mennekes makes this cable, which is IEC compliant and allows a BMW I3 or Leaf with J1772 to be charged from public stations in Europe.

image001.png

The blue end connects to the EVSE, the other end is J1772.

This is analogous to the cable we deliver to connect EU Model S to EVSEs.
image002.png

I've only used 2 public charge points in Sydney when I rented an iMiev for a week.
The Chargepoint in Goulburn Street and the one in Glebe Point Rd were both 15 amp 3112 sockets.
Hopefully Chargepoint will be changing these to Mennekes sockets when the Standard is approved.

I (selfishly) want 3-phase charging stations to be ubiquitous in New Zealand. So far there around 30 Type 1 (J1772s), and not a single Type 2 station. What can I do to change the tide?
Hi Steve,
If your serious, talk to Kevin Sharpe the founder and Patron of Zero Carbon World a UK based foundation, set up to provide free charging stations to businesses and Hotels in the UK. He is a member on TMC.
Alternately you could start the New Zealand version of Ecotricity, another UK company (For profit) that is both an green energy retailer and have rolled out their own EV charging stations.
Robert Llewellyn interviewed Dale Vince the founder of Ecotricity on a recent episode of his Fully Charged Show on You Tube.
P.S. Ecotricity are currently suing Tesla over charging station locations in the UK.:scared:

Last edited:
I (selfishly) want 3-phase charging stations to be ubiquitous in New Zealand. So far there around 30 Type 1 (J1772s), and not a single Type 2 station. What can I do to change the tide?

Hi Steve,
Did you know that Northpower installed the first high speed DC charger in Whangarei in May?

News - First fast-charge station for electric vehicles to open in Whangarei / Northpower

Northpower are using a number of BEVs in their fleet.

i think the unit came from JuicePoint, who also supplied the Level 1 charger that I saw outside of the Public Library in Wellsford.

Last edited: