Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
my car is in for service and I have a loaner for the night. When I got home I plugged the loaner in and the “unable to charge” close port and press the brake message popped up. It’s still charging and I need it to charge to make it back to the service center tomorrow. Can anything negative happen to my HPWC leaving it charge the loaner like this?

Just checked the date and it's not April 1st ;) So I guess you are really asking this. I would say you don't have to worry. The charger does not know the difference between your car and the loaner.

If you don't want to pay too much for electricity, you could also limit the charge level to something that would get you back to the service center. In my case, I always fully charge the loaner to see what kind of battery capacity it has vs. my car. The service center is 140miles away for me and it's safer to charge it all the way. Plus it helps the next person who gets the car, in case they don't charge it for them.

Just checked the date and it's not April 1st ;) So I guess you are really asking this. I would say you don't have to worry. The charger does not know the difference between your car and the loaner.

If you don't want to pay too much for electricity, you could also limit the charge level to something that would get you back to the service center. In my case, I always fully charge the loaner to see what kind of battery capacity it has vs. my car. The service center is 140miles away for me and it's safer to charge it all the way. Plus it helps the next person who gets the car, in case they don't charge it for them.
I was just concerned as it kept clicking back and forth from green to red.

Check the HPWC nozzle for any signs of wear. And also check the loaner for any problems with its conductor inside the port. If the physical connections looks solid, it might be something with how the HPWC is connected.

Could be related to if it's connected to Neutral or Ground at the circuit panel? Or, using aluminum conductor vs copper conductor? Or, the breaker and the HPWC is not quite using the 80% rule for amperage?

Sorry I couldn't help you get to the root, but, these questions might help guide you to the location of the problem.

I was just concerned as it kept clicking back and forth from green to red.

Check the HPWC nozzle for any signs of wear. And also check the loaner for any problems with its conductor inside the port. If the physical connections looks solid, it might be something with how the HPWC is connected.

Could be related to if it's connected to Neutral or Ground at the circuit panel? Or, using aluminum conductor vs copper conductor? Or, the breaker and the HPWC is not quite using the 80% rule for amperage?

Sorry I couldn't help you get to the root, but, these questions might help guide you to the location of the problem.
When I plug my car in it’s fine, only when I plug the loaner in so it appears to be with the loaner. 100 amp breaker box 60 amp breaker with 3 gague wire to HPWC 48 amp charging. Copper wire. It does no appear to be my HPWC and I’ll only have the loaner for a night just wanted to make sure it didn’t do anything to my HPWC.